Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Steering & General Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password


 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Registered User
 
RainShadow's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 487
Location: Vancouver BC
User is: OffLine
Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

My upper ball joints are clunking so I'm planning on replacing them.

I'm looking at Moog problem solvers or Raybestos professional grade on Rockauto.

I've done some searching online and apparently the Raybestos are actually made by Spicer now, and are very good quality. Moog were my original choice (historically, they're a great name) but I've heard some mixed reviews on the newer Moog stuff and now I'm thinking maybe I should go with the Raybestos.

What do you guys think?

Also, would it be normal for upper ball joints to wear out before the lowers?

My lowers seem to be fine, which seems strange to me because they are the load carrying joints. My uppers are definitely factory (riveted in), and I'm pretty sure the lowers are too but maybe the previous owner replaced them at some point (how would I check?)



PS. I did look at Power Performance but it'll be $40 to ship two balljoints to me in Canada and I need some other stuff from Rockauto so I can combine shipping.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Cornerin Demon
 
zeldalord's Avatar

 
Age: 29
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,968
Location: Little Rock
User is: Online
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Quote: Originally Posted by RainShadow
My upper ball joints are clunking so I'm planning on replacing them.

I'm looking at Moog problem solvers or Raybestos professional grade on Rockauto.

I've done some searching online and apparently the Raybestos are actually made by Spicer now, and are very good quality. Moog were my original choice (historically, they're a great name) but I've heard some mixed reviews on the newer Moog stuff and now I'm thinking maybe I should go with the Raybestos.

don't use moog... EVER... the only reason nascar uses them is cuz they do full rebuilds on everything after each race, we dont... and moog has never lasted on anything i've seen come through our garage, maybe nascar trusts em... but they only trust them for one race, why should u trust them any more than nascar?

get the power performance, thats what i have
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,607
Location: Who cares
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

All I have ever used was Spicer Professional Grade parts. Raybestos bought into
Spicer, but they are just sub companies for a larger conglomerate.

Regardless you could do far worse than Spicer Raybestos. I do use Raybestos
Sever Duty brake pads and shoes. Work great.

I have read though that Power Performance steering parts are of very
fine quality, and the owner does come on here to talk with us, unlike
Spicer..That says a lot for him and his company.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Registered User
 
jsmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 350
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

I used TRW uppers & lowers on this blazer going on 3 years ago now probably 15k miles maybe. I keep em greased every 3k. Torsion crank bla bla bla.

took the uppers out to mount them underneath the control arm couple weeks ago. When I took the boots of they were still like brand new inside & so tight still i couldnt even move the stud in the socket by hand yet.

I think youll be just OK if you use moog parts, saying they are made by the same company. all my other steering parts are moog and are holding up just fine. I do have idler arm issues but i have issues with every brand idler arm after a while.

I just dont get the "power performance" HYPE. As far as Im concerned you need to look at the warranty, ease and availability of your warranty parts.
wtf, its an online warranty. so WTF are you going to do for 2 weeks while your cars broke & your waiting for your warranty to get through shipping?

I personaly have nooo problem walking into a parts store with a lifetime warranty part & a 5 year old receipt.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Overhead Console Expert
 
Raven's Avatar
 
Age: 26
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,884
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Power Performance are the best. They have a 1 million mile warranty. This is what I have on my truck, have never had an issue with them.

They are a sponsor on this site too.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
100000 Internet points!
 
koeberle04's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,378
Location: FLORIDA
User is: Online
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

i have PP, going on a year i believe, no problems.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Registered User
 
RainShadow's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 487
Location: Vancouver BC
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Sorry guys, if I was in the states I would probably go for the Power Performance. But the $40 shipping just makes them too expensive. As I said in my first post I'm doing an order for some other parts from Rockauto so I wanted something they carried so I could combine shipping.

I ended up ordering the Moogs, the Raybestos were out of stock at the time I placed my order which made the decision easier. I'll be happy to give some feedback after I've had some time on them. Hopefully their quality hasn't gone downhill.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
( . Y . )
 
Something Different's Avatar
 
Age: 32
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,217
Location: NeW jErSeY
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Stay away from power performance... they are no better then what you can get over the counter at your local parts store. I had lower balljoints blow out after less then 3 weeks installed on my sonoma so I contacted Zack about the issue and he fed me all bullshit about the issue and his million mile warranty. I'll never buy again from power performance
Old 04-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Age: 28
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 389
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Quote: Originally Posted by Something Different
Stay away from power performance... they are no better then what you can get over the counter at your local parts store. I had lower balljoints blow out after less then 3 weeks installed on my sonoma so I contacted Zack about the issue and he fed me all bullshit about the issue and his million mile warranty. I'll never buy again from power performance
Hi,

Glad you brought this up. We asked you several times for more information and you didn't provide it. You said in your post and in your emails to us that the ball joints were "blown out." You said you knew this because of the way it sounded. You would not answer us when we asked you if you or your mechanic had gone through the proper procedure to determine if the ball joint was bad.

We informed you that we couldn't replace a ball joint based on how a ball joint "sounds," because that is not a reasonable test procedure. Many things "sound" like a worn ball joint - it is very difficult to even tell whether the sound is coming from your ball joint or from somewhere else.

Here is a copy of what we emailed you and never received a response:

>>>>


Jason,

We need to confirm that the ball joints are bad. Unfortunately, sound is not a good indicator of a ball joint’s internal condition – many things sound like a bad ball joint, and it is difficult to locate a noise under the vehicle. I’ve provided a link to a procedure that will determine if your ball joints are bad:

http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSH...Tolerances.pdf

If you do not want to take this route, your alternative is to buy a new set of ball joints from us and send us back the old ones. We will test them here. If they are indeed bad, we will refund your money for the new set your purchased.

I hope this is reasonable to you and that you can understand that we can’t replace ball joints based on what they sound like, as that is not a generally accepted test procedure because it is not accurate.


Best regards,

Zack



On 3/16/11 10:39 PM, "Jason ******" <*******@gmail.com> wrote:

So I still don't get it? you guys sell a product that is supposed to be backed by some million mile warranty or whatever...but then your telling me its pushed to its limit of travel or my mechanic overgreased it???? Explain this pushed past the limit because I don't get that?*Its not just the boots that are worne the shaft is worne also. I* know what a blown balljoint sounds like and the whole balljoint has to be replaced. If i wanted to keep replacing them i would have just stuck with the other garbage I can get over the counter at a local auto part store. You just said yourself the balljoint is compromised once the boot is split or torn?Right?So why woulld just replace the boot and not the whole balljoint?

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Zack wrote:

Jason,

Thank you for sending me the photos.

When you say the lower ball joints are blown out, I’m assuming you mean the boots are blown out. Have you brought the truck to a mechanic to have the ball joint itself evaluated for wear?

If the ball joint is worn out, it needs to be replaced.

If the ball joints is not worn out, you need to go to a local auto parts store and buy a new generic boot, pump new grease in, and install the new boot. We don’t sell replacement boots because our opinion is that a ball joint is compromised once the boot is torn and it should be replaced, and so it would be a liability for us to sell boots.

With regards to the cause of your problem – there are two likely reasons that your boots blew out:

1. The part was overgreased during installation or servicing – i.e. grease was shot in faster than old grease could escape, causing pressure to build and the boot to rupture

2. The ball joint was pushed past normal limits of travel, causing the retaining ring to pop off and it to cut the boot.

Best regards,

Zack
Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 10,607
Location: Who cares
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

^ Ya know I have to say when the owner comes on defends his product and offers
a full refund if the parts were/are bad, seems like a very rare thing these days. As
I've said before I use Spicer Pro Grade, but I would be willing to try some of
PP's joints out and just might because I poor old 92 is going to need some
soon.

If an owner of a company is willing to put his company on the line supporting
his or hers product...The owner has offered to ante up and has given the customer
an opportunity to get things right. That's hard to beat in my book.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
( . Y . )
 
Something Different's Avatar
 
Age: 32
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,217
Location: NeW jErSeY
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Zack, I responded to you but i guess you never got it... I showed my mechanic and he confirmed they were no good. For me to lay out some more money on something that was supposed be the best from the start to have you analyze and decide wether your going to replace it or come up with another lame ass exuse why your not going to replace it is bad business and poor customer service in my opinion. The balljoints that were in the truck were not even wore out I just replaced them because your product was "supposed" to be the best. I put your lower balljoints in and I'm lucky if I got 2-3 weeks out of them...
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Age: 28
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 389
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Quote: Originally Posted by Something Different
Zack, I responded to you but i guess you never got it... I showed my mechanic and he confirmed they were no good. For me to lay out some more money on something that was supposed be the best from the start to have you analyze and decide wether your going to replace it or come up with another lame ass exuse why your not going to replace it is bad business and poor customer service in my opinion. The balljoints that were in the truck were not even wore out I just replaced them because your product was "supposed" to be the best. I put your lower balljoints in and I'm lucky if I got 2-3 weeks out of them...
The reason that we're skeptical is because the likelihood of TWO ball joints failing simultaneously within 2-3 weeks is virtually zero, especially when we haven't had a single warranty claim from the entire production run that your ball joints came in. I say virtually zero because anything is possible, so we do want to look into this further. Please email me your mechanic's number so we can confirm.

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
( . Y . )
 
Something Different's Avatar
 
Age: 32
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,217
Location: NeW jErSeY
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

His name is Dave he owns and operates Afterhours Fabrication a very well known name on this forum and many others...http://afterhoursfabrication.com/contact.htm
Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #14
Check your ground
 
556mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 30,799
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

I have been running Power Performance ball joints for the better part of three years without a single problem. I'm pretty sure they will outlast my truck. I highly recommend them. They are worth the extra shipping cost to Canada OP.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Age: 28
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 389
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Quote: Originally Posted by Something Different
His name is Dave he owns and operates Afterhours Fabrication a very well known name on this forum and many others...http://afterhoursfabrication.com/contact.htm
We're in touch with Dave and will advise.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
Boozebag
 
Mad Max's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,851
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Just for the hell of it - check your upper control arm bushings too. They make clunking noises more than ball joints.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 350
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: Moog vs. Raybestos Ball joints

Just for the record I have Autozone Duralast ball joints going on two years now, greased them once with good old green grease and they are just as tight as day one, we wheel our truck too and not in mall parking lots.

I was going to get Moogs or PP joints but money was an issue at the time, however I thought these might only last 6 months to a year at best but going on two years really surprised me for the price...I think when or if they ever go bad I will replace with the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2011, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.