Install Help Upper Control Arm Bushings 98 S10 2.2l - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Install Help Upper Control Arm Bushings 98 S10 2.2l

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Steering & General Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #1

Install Help Upper Control Arm Bushings 98 S10 2.2l

The upper control arm bushings are shot on my 98 S10, 2.2l. On the drivers side, there is one that is completely blown out. The front end shakes badly at slow speeds.

I need to install new control arms this weekend, and the drivers side really concerns me. It looks like there is a lot of stuff in the way of the two bolts and 18mm nuts that hold the control arm to the frame. Looks like the steering column may need to be pulled, and there is a bunch of stuff in the way of even pulling that. It also looks like there are brake lines in the way.

I'm looking for any install tips that might help make the job a little easier.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #2

Re: Install Help Upper Control Arm Bushings 98 S10 2.2l

Thanks again to everyone for all the advise. lol
Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
No longer a pizza tech.

User is: OffLine

theres an 11mm nut on the steering shaft under the little plastic cover at the gear box, you should be able to undo that and knock the shaft back and pull it up.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
S10 Frame Swapper

Get a complete control arm assembly, like Dorman 520-137 and 520-138. I tried pressing the bushings out after a week of soaking in PB blaster and heat and STILL ended up bending the arms enough that I couldn't re-use them. I should have just spent the money up front instead of wasting my time. I still have the ball joints and upper bushing for the other control arms if anyone needs em.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by 90blueS10
theres an 11mm nut on the steering shaft under the little plastic cover at the gear box, you should be able to undo that and knock the shaft back and pull it up.
Wow, you mean that the shaft can be pulled up and out of the way without completely pulling the steering column?

I have lower back issues from time to time, so I decided to pay a local mechanic to do it. I though $75 was more than reasonable. He undid the manifold pipe and pulled it down a bit so he could access the nuts. Then he backed the nuts out most of the way and got something on them and tapped the bolts out of the frame so he had room to pull the control arm up and off.

The flex pipe on the exaust has been leaking a bit the past few months, and it is worse now after he unfastened it from the manifold and put it back up. But I figure it was going to need to be replaced anyway.

It still needs a Center Link, and one of the outer tie rod ends needs replaced, so I ordered the whole set of four, and the center link. Man, I am just about sick and tired of this front end. I just want it done, aligned, and to stop shaking all overr the road.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Slowly but eventually

Hmm, I just had to take the steering shaft loose from the steering box to get mine out, but if what he did made it easier then ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.