illegal to swap steering wheel? - S-10 Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Project has Started!
 
famsdym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Augusta, GA
Age: 34
Posts: 333

User is: famsdym is offline
illegal to swap steering wheel?

Has anyone had a problem with the law or problem trying to get their truck inspection sticker or whatever and couldnt because of the billet steering wheel or aftermarket wheel? I know the laws about swapping a airbag wheel for a wheel without one but how much do people focus on this when trying to get an inspection or getting pulled over?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

famsdym is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Have a nice day!
 
ProTouring2.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NJ
Age: 28
Posts: 9,778

User is: ProTouring2.2 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

I'd say you would probably fail inspection because of it, but I don't think a cop would notice or care. I think another big thing is it's illegal to sell the truck without the factory airbags.

New whip: '90 240sx hatch with SR20DET and some other stuff...



Co-founder of the Anti-Bag Coalition
"Bags are for groceries"
ProTouring2.2 is offline  
post #3 of 58 Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Who cares
Posts: 10,898

User is: bg's is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

I know that Grant is making aftermarket air bag wheels
fir larger rides. They look pretty sweet. I'm sure they
wouldn't have gone to the trouble and expense to do
so if they thought that their product was illegal.

Here's the link. Some are pretty nice. I believe Jegs is
carrying them for around 329.00 up. Click numbers
to see wheels.

http://www.grantproducts.com/c-61-re...ng-wheels.aspx
bg's is offline  
post #4 of 58 Old 05-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Whood'a Thought
 
russell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Durant,OK
Age: 28
Posts: 3,881

User is: russell is offline
Send a message via Yahoo to russell
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

you won't pass inspection w/o an airbag if it was equipped from factory.
Unless you know someone or bribe them
russell is offline  
post #5 of 58 Old 05-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: southold, NY
Age: 30
Posts: 647

User is: fishindabay is offline
Send a message via AIM to fishindabay
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

in NY you can't fail a truck if the air bag light is on. all you can do is advise the customer to cover your ass. i don't know specifics about the obvious missing air bag though...
fishindabay is offline  
post #6 of 58 Old 05-12-2008, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Project has Started!
 
famsdym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Augusta, GA
Age: 34
Posts: 333

User is: famsdym is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

so i called hulio at the local inspection shop about the truck passing or not and he said as long as it has a horn i will be good.. fkn woot woot
famsdym is offline  
post #7 of 58 Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Registered User
 
metalmulisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 33
Posts: 69

User is: metalmulisha is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by famsdym View Post
so i called hulio at the local inspection shop about the truck passing or not and he said as long as it has a horn i will be good.. fkn woot woot


Nice

92 dime 2.8 primed
Big Plans
metalmulisha is offline  
post #8 of 58 Old 05-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102

User is: Matt2000 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

That law makes my blood boil, who's to say what kind of wheel I have on my truck? Who's to say I have to have airbags?

I don't like airbags. SRS Stands for Supplementary restrain system. They were implimented to reduce the deaths by morons who didn't wear seat belts, not people who wear seat belts. If you wear a belt, you should never hit the wheel. If I'm not going to hit the wheel, then I'd rather not have some air bag flatten my face 12" away from it, crush my glasses into my face, burn the crap out of me, or blow my eardrums out.

Do airbags save lives? Sure, in some cases, particularly those in which the occupant isn't wearing a restraint, but the dirty little secret nobody ever wants to talk about is that airbags also kill people, usually ones wearing restraints. How many? Well good luck finding a study on that. It's a pet research interest of mine, and the best I could ever come up with was a 1 out of every 21 accident fatalities are caused by the bag itself and not the accident. By that we don't mean 21 accidents, we mean find 21 dead crash victims with airbags deployed and one of them was killed by the deployment, probably due to sitting to close to it or an over packed bag charge.

I'll quit ranting now, but that law burns me.
Matt2000 is offline  
post #9 of 58 Old 05-18-2008, 11:09 PM
whore turned lurker
 
dimerunner88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clay City,IN
Age: 30
Posts: 20,922

User is: dimerunner88 is offline
Send a message via AIM to dimerunner88 Send a message via MSN to dimerunner88
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2000 View Post
That law makes my blood boil, who's to say what kind of wheel I have on my truck? Who's to say I have to have airbags?

I don't like airbags. SRS Stands for Supplementary restrain system. They were implimented to reduce the deaths by morons who didn't wear seat belts, not people who wear seat belts. If you wear a belt, you should never hit the wheel. If I'm not going to hit the wheel, then I'd rather not have some air bag flatten my face 12" away from it, crush my glasses into my face, burn the crap out of me, or blow my eardrums out.

Do airbags save lives? Sure, in some cases, particularly those in which the occupant isn't wearing a restraint, but the dirty little secret nobody ever wants to talk about is that airbags also kill people, usually ones wearing restraints. How many? Well good luck finding a study on that. It's a pet research interest of mine, and the best I could ever come up with was a 1 out of every 21 accident fatalities are caused by the bag itself and not the accident. By that we don't mean 21 accidents, we mean find 21 dead crash victims with airbags deployed and one of them was killed by the deployment, probably due to sitting to close to it or an over packed bag charge.

I'll quit ranting now, but that law burns me.
airbags are only effective if you have your belt on,even with the seat belt on you will still hit your head on the steering wheel.

Tom
1988 S-10 2.8/5-spd - scrapped
1992 k3500 CCLB
dimerunner88 is offline  
post #10 of 58 Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 PM
paint color? ... Mud =D
 
83blazer28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Age: 23
Posts: 1,312

User is: 83blazer28 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2000 View Post
That law makes my blood boil, who's to say what kind of wheel I have on my truck? Who's to say I have to have airbags?

I don't like airbags. SRS Stands for Supplementary restrain system. They were implimented to reduce the deaths by morons who didn't wear seat belts, not people who wear seat belts. If you wear a belt, you should never hit the wheel. If I'm not going to hit the wheel, then I'd rather not have some air bag flatten my face 12" away from it, crush my glasses into my face, burn the crap out of me, or blow my eardrums out.

Do airbags save lives? Sure, in some cases, particularly those in which the occupant isn't wearing a restraint, but the dirty little secret nobody ever wants to talk about is that airbags also kill people, usually ones wearing restraints. How many? Well good luck finding a study on that. It's a pet research interest of mine, and the best I could ever come up with was a 1 out of every 21 accident fatalities are caused by the bag itself and not the accident. By that we don't mean 21 accidents, we mean find 21 dead crash victims with airbags deployed and one of them was killed by the deployment, probably due to sitting to close to it or an over packed bag charge.

I'll quit ranting now, but that law burns me.
wow you are a moron
airbags are meant to work in conjunction with a seatbelt
if you have your belt on without the airbag your head will hit the steering wheel
i know someone that happened to
now if you dont have on your seatbelt and you have an airbag it will hurt you
but if you wear your seatbelt and have airbags your in good shape
car companies aren't stupid, i can guarantee that
they do things for reasons

Last edited by 83blazer28; 05-18-2008 at 11:27 PM.
83blazer28 is offline  
post #11 of 58 Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102

User is: Matt2000 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83blazer28 View Post
wow you are a moron
airbags are meant to work in conjunction with a seatbelt
if you have your belt on without the airbag your head will hit the steering wheel
i know someone that happened to
now if you dont have on your seatbelt and you have an airbag it will hurt you
but if you wear your seatbelt and have airbags your in good shape
car companies aren't stupid, i can guarantee that
they do things for reasons
I'm a moron? At least I don't write in all lowercase and actually use the occasional punctuation.

Airbags were implemented to reduce the death rate of unrestrained drivers, that's a fact. If you're not wearing a seat belt, yes the air bag is probably going to hurt you, however it will also be keeping your moronic ass from going through the windshield, which would probably hurt more, so it it all evens out in the end.

This feature is actually why American airbags are more dangerous than their foreign counterparts, which aren't designed to stop an obese American to dumb to wear a seatbelt from flying through the windshield. This allows them to inflate slower and are less likely to inflect harm on the person it's supposed to be saving, it's not there to stop you from leaving the vehicle, its there to cushion you. Something to note, is on some of the later vehicles, if your seat belts are latched, the computer will note it and reduce deployment speed to accommodate, this is progress.

As you pointed out, it is possible for you to hit the wheel while wearing a belt. However, it's possible to do almost anything. It is however, not a large risk for a person who has properly adjusted his seat in relation to the steering wheel and who is wearing his belt properly. If everything is adjusted properly, you should not hit the wheel. Observing the proper seat to wheel ratio will also greatly reduce the effects of a air bag deployment on you as well.

Although I wouldn't argue that car companies are the most brilliant of companies out there, they are fully aware that the public has had airbags shoved down their throat for decades and the more airbags they can cram in the car the safer the public will regard it as, and as such it will help their reputation and sales.

Something else to remember, is airbags are only good for one deployment, if you are being pinballed around with multiple impacts, or roll more than once, your airbags are gone, your first line of defense is your seat belt and proper adjustment of your seat and headrests.

Last edited by Matt2000; 05-19-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Matt2000 is offline  
post #12 of 58 Old 05-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Age: 42
Posts: 928

User is: MikeInCtown is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Airbags were implemented to reduce the death rate of unrestrained drivers, that's a fact. If you're not wearing a seat belt, yes the air bag is probably going to hurt you, however it will also be keeping your moronic ass from going through the windshield, which would probably hurt more, so it it all evens out in the end.
I think you need to look up airbags and how they are used. Airbags are used in conjunction with belts, not as a replacement for belts for morons who don't wear their belts.
MikeInCtown is offline  
post #13 of 58 Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM
In Da Workz
 
lowblaze2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lynchburg, Ohio
Age: 32
Posts: 310

User is: lowblaze2003 is offline
Send a message via Yahoo to lowblaze2003
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2000 View Post
That law makes my blood boil, who's to say what kind of wheel I have on my truck? Who's to say I have to have airbags?

I don't like airbags. SRS Stands for Supplementary restrain system. They were implimented to reduce the deaths by morons who didn't wear seat belts, not people who wear seat belts. If you wear a belt, you should never hit the wheel. If I'm not going to hit the wheel, then I'd rather not have some air bag flatten my face 12" away from it, crush my glasses into my face, burn the crap out of me, or blow my eardrums out.

Do airbags save lives? Sure, in some cases, particularly those in which the occupant isn't wearing a restraint, but the dirty little secret nobody ever wants to talk about is that airbags also kill people, usually ones wearing restraints. How many? Well good luck finding a study on that. It's a pet research interest of mine, and the best I could ever come up with was a 1 out of every 21 accident fatalities are caused by the bag itself and not the accident. By that we don't mean 21 accidents, we mean find 21 dead crash victims with airbags deployed and one of them was killed by the deployment, probably due to sitting to close to it or an over packed bag charge.

I'll quit ranting now, but that law burns me.

HAHA!!! Your a retard... I wrecked once with my seatbelt on, seat half way back and the seat leaned back and still came up far enough to smack my face on the wheel...Yes airbags are responsible for some deaths but veryyyyyyy rarely, but all in all they save alotttttttttttttttt more people than they kill...





Air bags are designed to complement conventional restraints such as seat belts and seatbelt pre-tensioners, not replace them. The number of lives saved by airbags is hard to pin down. One study, cited below, puts the number at just under 400 per year (6,000 total), and another study indicates that air bags reduce fatalities by 8% when seat belts are worn. Airbags also greatly increase the efficiency of seat-belts, in some cases up to 50%.

Cited http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag



I will give you the point you made on how airbags were generally considered a convenient alternative to seat belts, but yeah that was in the 70's an yeah it wasn't a law to wear it so that would be why all the morons you speak of didn't wear it. You can't argue that they don't save lives...

95S-10, 4.3,front & back bagged, smooth skin and caddies lookin real perty..
lowblaze2003 is offline  
post #14 of 58 Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Whood'a Thought
 
russell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Durant,OK
Age: 28
Posts: 3,881

User is: russell is offline
Send a message via Yahoo to russell
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

E-fight!
russell is offline  
post #15 of 58 Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102

User is: Matt2000 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblaze2003 View Post
HAHA!!! Your a retard... I wrecked once with my seatbelt on, seat half way back and the seat leaned back and still came up far enough to smack my face on the wheel...Yes airbags are responsible for some deaths but veryyyyyyy rarely, but all in all they save alotttttttttttttttt more people than they kill...

Air bags are designed to complement conventional restraints such as seat belts and seatbelt pre-tensioners, not replace them. The number of lives saved by airbags is hard to pin down. One study, cited below, puts the number at just under 400 per year (6,000 total), and another study indicates that air bags reduce fatalities by 8% when seat belts are worn. Airbags also greatly increase the efficiency of seat-belts, in some cases up to 50%.

Cited http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

I will give you the point you made on how airbags were generally considered a convenient alternative to seat belts, but yeah that was in the 70's an yeah it wasn't a law to wear it so that would be why all the morons you speak of didn't wear it. You can't argue that they don't save lives...
Quote:
Your a retard
Priceless.


Actually you can, crush zones, safety “cages”, seat belts, padded or “soft” steering wheels, ABS, power steering, power brakes, etc, etc have all helped contribute to safer cars, it isn’t all due to air bags, and might not be due to them at all, there are studies out there that argue airbag equipped cars actually have a higher death rate attached to them, not lowered. Many of these studies go further into detail than simple “death rate before” ‘death rate after” boy aren’t we good studies the government used to pat itself on the back.

The fact still remains that airbags were initially implemented to reduce the death rate of unrestrained drivers, not belted drivers. The cause of the high automotive death rate in the 60’s and 70’s wasn’t due to belted drivers, it was unbelted drivers. As a result the government felt the need to get involved and eventually implemented among other things that at least one of several “passive” devices, such as automatic seat belts which “forced” the occupant to wear belts, or airbags, be on the vehicle in an attempt to force people to wear a belt or reduce the death rate of an unbelted driver.

Do airbags work with seat belts? Of course they do, now, I know how they work, however the fine tuning of airbags is a fairly recent development, it hasn’t always been that way. Also, if you know how they work, you also see how they can easily compound the forces of the accident and kill you, and it happens far more often that people think. The sad fact is however, if the victims family doesn’t pursue an investigation and charges, no one else will, and in fact, most people are so brain washed that it will never even occur to them that the airbag might have been the reason they died, not the crash, and if it does occur to them they might still just chalk it up to the cost of having air bags or airbag failure, they aren’t perfect, they don’t work in every situation, a few will always die. When you hear of someone who died in a crash, what do you think? Sad, must have been a bad crash. You don’t think, I wonder if the airbag was what killed them. No one knows exactly how many people are killed by airbags, and what numbers are out there are understated for sure simply because of the reasons outlined above, and due to the hardships evolved in proving that it was actually the airbag that was responsible for the death. The number I have seen most often though is 1-21, which to me, isn't all that waaaay less than they kill nor all that much more than they save to me.

I'm not saying airbags are the devil incarnate, but the systems use on many vehicles, particularly older vehicles, are not all that state of the art and likely to hurt or kill you as save you. We have better systems, and we have for years, we've know using a higher powered deployment could and does result in accidental deaths, we've known was to improve but those of us with a brain also know that when it comes to meeting standards that is often is all that is done, meet the standard, to do more than that would cost money = less profits. We're all familiar with the Pinto Scandal.

In Europe they have less powerful airbags, they are not designed to stop an unbelted driver, so they don’t need to inflate as fast, and thus are less likely to cause harm. If you are belted, American airbags with their higher speed and rate of expansion can cause you harm, perhaps more harm than good, this is a recognized problem and why as I noted earlier, some cars will now recognize if the occupants are belted, and reduce the power of the airbag if they are.

By the way Wikipedia isn’t allowed as a reference source even in grade school.

Last edited by Matt2000; 05-20-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Matt2000 is offline  
post #16 of 58 Old 05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
I void warranties
 
str8valve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ocala, FL
Age: 37
Posts: 161

User is: str8valve is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2000 View Post
Priceless.


Actually you can, crush zones, safety “cages”, seat belts, padded or “soft” steering wheels, ABS, power steering, power brakes, etc, etc have all helped contribute to safer cars, it isn’t all due to air bags, and might not be due to them at all, there are studies out there that argue airbag equipped cars actually have a higher death rate attached to them, not lowered. Many of these studies go further into detail than simple “death rate before” ‘death rate after” boy aren’t we good studies the government used to pat itself on the back.

The fact still remains that airbags were initially implemented to reduce the death rate of unrestrained drivers, not belted drivers. The cause of the high automotive death rate in the 60’s and 70’s wasn’t due to belted drivers, it was unbelted drivers. As a result the government felt the need to get involved and eventually implemented among other things that at least one of several “passive” devices, such as automatic seat belts which “forced” the occupant to wear belts, or airbags, be on the vehicle in an attempt to force people to wear a belt or reduce the death rate of an unbelted driver.

Do airbags work with seat belts? Of course they do, now, I know how they work, however the fine tuning of airbags is a fairly recent development, it hasn’t always been that way. Also, if you know how they work, you also see how they can easily compound the forces of the accident and kill you, and it happens far more often that people think. The sad fact is however, if the victims family doesn’t pursue an investigation and charges, no one else will, and in fact, most people are so brain washed that it will never even occur to them that the airbag might have been the reason they died, not the crash, and if it does occur to them they might still just chalk it up to the cost of having air bags or airbag failure, they aren’t perfect, they don’t work in every situation, a few will always die. When you hear of someone who died in a crash, what do you think? Sad, must have been a bad crash. You don’t think, I wonder if the airbag was what killed them. No one knows exactly how many people are killed by airbags, and what numbers are out there are understated for sure simply because of the reasons outlined above, and due to the hardships evolved in proving that it was actually the airbag that was responsible for the death. The number I have seen most often though is 1-21, which to me, isn't all that waaaay less than they kill nor all that much more than they save to me.

I'm not saying airbags are the devil incarnate, but the systems use on many vehicles, particularly older vehicles, are not all that state of the art and likely to hurt or kill you as save you. We have better systems, and we have for years, we've know using a higher powered deployment could and does result in accidental deaths, we've known was to improve but those of us with a brain also know that when it comes to meeting standards that is often is all that is done, meet the standard, to do more than that would cost money = less profits. We're all familiar with the Pinto Scandal.

In Europe they have less powerful airbags, they are not designed to stop an unbelted driver, so they don’t need to inflate as fast, and thus are less likely to cause harm. If you are belted, American airbags with their higher speed and rate of expansion can cause you harm, perhaps more harm than good, this is a recognized problem and why as I noted earlier, some cars will now recognize if the occupants are belted, and reduce the power of the airbag if they are.

By the way Wikipedia isn’t allowed as a reference source even in grade school.

01' s10= 56mm T/B, K&N Filter,Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, taurus E-fan, Ground Force 3/3 drop, sway bars from zq8, quick ratio steering gear from zq8, 245/50/16's on zq8's
str8valve is offline  
post #17 of 58 Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Have a nice day!
 
ProTouring2.2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NJ
Age: 28
Posts: 9,778

User is: ProTouring2.2 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

jesus christ this thread took a wrong turn

New whip: '90 240sx hatch with SR20DET and some other stuff...



Co-founder of the Anti-Bag Coalition
"Bags are for groceries"
ProTouring2.2 is offline  
post #18 of 58 Old 05-21-2008, 09:17 PM
B4U Task Force
 
Rhotpursuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Spanaway, Wa
Posts: 11,338

User is: Rhotpursuit is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenflameS10 View Post
jesus christ this thread took a wrong turn
Let me help you out..


U.S.C.G. "So others may live"

Apple Red 96 SS
Rhotpursuit is offline  
post #19 of 58 Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Can I get a hot tub?
 
Big_Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hampton, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 2,676

User is: Big_Bake is offline
Send a message via AIM to Big_Bake
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblaze2003 View Post
did that really just happen?

02 Sonoma. Full SD suspension rollin 20's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derricklane72 View Post
relocated mine to my extra parts corner of my garage.

Project Standard Issue

Big_Bake is offline  
post #20 of 58 Old 05-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Matt2000 Is Right!
Wiki....no.....hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha aaaaaa...................hahahahahahah
Hold On St Om Ach Hur Ts.......hahahahahahahahah...
Moron
XTC28 is offline  
post #21 of 58 Old 05-26-2008, 06:05 PM
.
 
96blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ?
Posts: 32,819

User is: 96blazer is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTC28 View Post
Matt2000 Is Right!
Wiki....no.....hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha aaaaaa...................hahahahahahah
Hold On St Om Ach Hur Ts.......hahahahahahahahah...
Moron


He stated:
you wear a belt, you should never hit the wheel.

Not only is that so incorrect, but just stupid to state. Then he goes and TRYS to flame someone for using Wiki.
96blazer is offline  
post #22 of 58 Old 05-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102

User is: Matt2000 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazer View Post


He stated:
you wear a belt, you should never hit the wheel.

Not only is that so incorrect, but just stupid to state. Then he goes and TRYS to flame someone for using Wiki.
You know I knew wiki wasn't allowed in college, but I didn't know it wasn't allowed in grade school until I overheard a pair of grade school teachers expressing their frustration that it was constantly being cited as a source after explicitly being told it was not an allowed source. Go ask a grade schooler if you don't believe me.

In case you're not familiar with any of this, let me explain. Certain sources are not allowed because anyone with a brain knows they are full of shite. Actually, it's simply because they are not reliable, trustworthy sources, much like the majority of internet sources. Any source, that is freely modified and altered by anyone, regardless of their expertise or knowledge, is not a good source to cite. That should go without saying.

Never is never a good word to use, and I should not have used it, however if you read through my previous posts I have made it clear that this is if you properly adjust your seat to wheel ratio, and are properly wearing your belt, the wheel is of no great danger, even if you do hit it, as is evidenced by so many of you brilliant chaps speaking up to point out the root cause of so many things, your previous encounter with your steering wheel, also illustrated is the fact that you're still alive and in good physical heath if not in other aspects. However this all hinges on proper seat and seat belt usage.
Matt2000 is offline  
post #23 of 58 Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM
.
 
96blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ?
Posts: 32,819

User is: 96blazer is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2000 View Post
You know I knew wiki wasn't allowed in college, but I didn't know it wasn't allowed in grade school until I overheard a pair of grade school teachers expressing their frustration that it was constantly being cited as a source after explicitly being told it was not an allowed source. Go ask a grade schooler if you don't believe me.

In case you're not familiar with any of this, let me explain. Certain sources are not allowed because anyone with a brain knows they are full of shite. Actually, it's simply because they are not reliable, trustworthy sources, much like the majority of internet sources. Any source, that is freely modified and altered by anyone, regardless of their expertise or knowledge, is not a good source to cite. That should go without saying.

Never is never a good word to use, and I should not have used it, however if you read through my previous posts I have made it clear that this is if you properly adjust your seat to wheel ratio, and are properly wearing your belt, the wheel is of no great danger, even if you do hit it, as is evidenced by so many of you brilliant chaps speaking up to point out the root cause of so many things, your previous encounter with your steering wheel, also illustrated is the fact that you're still alive and in good physical heath if not in other aspects. However this all hinges on proper seat and seat belt usage.

Again, you're so wrong.

Don't know where you're getting your bullshit information from, but even with sitting correctly and using the seatbelt properly, the seatbelts can still freely give.

All this crap you're using to defend yourself is just that crap. In the real world, it's different. Go ask a grade school teacher if you need to.

In fact, go sit all properly in various vehicles and buckle in, then move your body forward, you'll see that the belt will not always keep your upper body back. Until you've done that, you're pretty much yapping nonsense.
96blazer is offline  
post #24 of 58 Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102

User is: Matt2000 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazer View Post
Again, you're so wrong.

Don't know where you're getting your bullshit information from, but even with sitting correctly and using the seatbelt properly, the seatbelts can still freely give.
Care to elaborate on that?
Matt2000 is offline  
post #25 of 58 Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 PM
.
 
96blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ?
Posts: 32,819

User is: 96blazer is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2000 View Post
Care to elaborate on that?
read the second portion of my reply again.
96blazer is offline  
post #26 of 58 Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102

User is: Matt2000 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazer View Post
read the second portion of my reply again.
Still need clarification and elucidation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazer View Post
In fact, go sit all properly in various vehicles and buckle in, then move your body forward, you'll see that the belt will not always keep your upper body back. Until you've done that, you're pretty much yapping nonsense.
I can't tell if you are serious or not, you are aware of inertial reels locking mechanisms and pretensioners are you not?

I've been knocked unconscious not by my head impacting the steering wheel but by my chin contacting my chest, my head has never come near the steering wheel, although I must say my car wrecking career has been extremely limited, it's not high on my to do list. In all those instances however all an airbag would have done is knock the everliving croup out of me and possibly rearrange a few facial features I'd rather not have rearranged, permanent glasses for instance, I'm rather attached to my easily removable ones.
Matt2000 is offline  
post #27 of 58 Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Registered User
 
chadzx11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Robinsonville Ms
Posts: 1,150

User is: chadzx11 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Just move to a place where they don't check. Every hispanic that comes into the firestone I work has has airbags deployed. They cut them out and tape up the holes with packaging tape.

As for me, I am just worred that one day I will hit a bump and have that thing go off in my face. Not my idea of a good time.
chadzx11 is offline  
post #28 of 58 Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM
.
 
96blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ?
Posts: 32,819

User is: 96blazer is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2000 View Post
Still need clarification and elucidation.

.
Then go do what I said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2000 View Post
I can't tell if you are serious or not, you are aware of inertial reels locking mechanisms and pretensioners are you not?

I've been knocked unconscious not by my head impacting the steering wheel but by my chin contacting my chest, my head has never come near the steering wheel, although I must say my car wrecking career has been extremely limited, it's not high on my to do list. In all those instances however all an airbag would have done is knock the everliving croup out of me and possibly rearrange a few facial features I'd rather not have rearranged, permanent glasses for instance, I'm rather attached to my easily removable ones.
Sheesh.


"...aware of inertial reels locking mechanisms and pretensioners ...."
So all you know is what you've read somewhere, like I said, try some real world research. All that crap you are talking about does not work 100% in every instance. It's not a foolproof system no matter how properly a person is seated. You can sit there and restate all the info you've read off some web site, but go do some real world actual research, it's differs.
96blazer is offline  
post #29 of 58 Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Blown ex ***
 
Jess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sw sub shitcago
Posts: 5,354

User is: Jess is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

properly working, modern, seat belts will let you lean forward. to adjust the radio, or whatever. but in an impact, they will hold solid and not let you move forward much at all. nothing is perfect and fool proof. so just sitting in a car with the belt on, and seeing how far forward you can move, and then saying thats ALL the safety there is, is completely wrong.

97, VORTECH V2 SQ / PowerStroke FMIC @14 psi, A4, 3.08
a broken down 13.88 @ 96.65
now with, 2114, 270ahr, ported heads, 1 5/8 L/T's & true duals, TunerCat, LC1 & XD-16, 3:73 Z/T
My Truck...
video = http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...55517765935057
95 x-cab, silver, tint, 4.3cpi, a4, 3/4

EDELBROCK TES & 3 1/2" exhaust for sale. PM me
Jess is offline  
post #30 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 12:50 AM
.
 
96blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ?
Posts: 32,819

User is: 96blazer is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
properly working, modern, seat belts will let you lean forward. to adjust the radio, or whatever. but in an impact, they will hold solid and not let you move forward much at all. nothing is perfect and fool proof. so just sitting in a car with the belt on, and seeing how far forward you can move, and then saying thats ALL the safety there is, is completely wrong.
No. Move forward at different speeds/forces, the belt still will not always hold you back.

To say what you did, about "in an impact..." is wrong, as impacts are not standardized. Your body can by thrusted forward at any rate of force or forces as you can be thrusted forward more than once in an accident.
96blazer is offline  
post #31 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102

User is: Matt2000 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazer View Post
No. Move forward at different speeds/forces, the belt still will not always hold you back.

To say what you did, about "in an impact..." is wrong, as impacts are not standardized. Your body can by thrusted forward at any rate of force or forces as you can be thrusted forward more than once in an accident.
Are you really this ignorant of how seat belts work?
Matt2000 is offline  
post #32 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 01:30 PM
.
 
96blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ?
Posts: 32,819

User is: 96blazer is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2000 View Post
Are you really this ignorant of how seat belts work?
No, you apparently are. You just spout off a bunch nonsense you have no clue or experience on. Obviously your hatered of the airbag deal clouds any intelligence you may have had on this topic.

You are also ignorant about accidents (among many other things).
96blazer is offline  
post #33 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102

User is: Matt2000 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazer View Post
No, you apparently are. You just spout off a bunch nonsense you have no clue or experience on. Obviously your hatered of the airbag deal clouds any intelligence you may have had on this topic.

You are also ignorant about accidents (among many other things).
To think that the way a belt reacts with you sitting stationary in the cab moving yourself around is anything like how it reacts in an accident is what baffles my mind. What good would they be if they did?

Seat belts have a variety of ways they react, not all of which have to do with how fast they are unspooling, such as pendulum locks and various mechanisms that react to the basic physics of what the vehicle is doing.

The bottom line however, is that in an accident, they are going to lock and they are going to hold you in place and their performance is going to in no way reflect how they act when you are sitting stationary in a vehicle buckling up or leaning about reaching for things.

By the way I don't hate airbags, I just don't agree with them nor the government mandating what I can or can't do with my personal property.

Would it make you feel better if we started discussing the pro's of airbags?
Matt2000 is offline  
post #34 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 06:15 PM
.
 
96blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ?
Posts: 32,819

User is: 96blazer is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2000 View Post
To think that the way a belt reacts with you sitting stationary in the cab moving yourself around is anything like how it reacts in an accident is what baffles my mind. What good would they be if they did?

Seat belts have a variety of ways they react, not all of which have to do with how fast they are unspooling, such as pendulum locks and various mechanisms that react to the basic physics of what the vehicle is doing.

The bottom line however, is that in an accident, they are going to lock and they are going to hold you in place and their performance is going to in no way reflect how they act when you are sitting stationary in a vehicle buckling up or leaning about reaching for things.
By the way I don't hate airbags, I just don't agree with them nor the government mandating what I can or can't do with my personal property.

Would it make you feel better if we started discussing the pro's of airbags?
The part I highlight just proves you don't know what you're talking about.

Sheesh, you can't be this dumb can you? In fact, one or two people already mentioned in this thread that their seatbelt didn't hold them back in their accidents. You can even go look at some crash tests and see the same thing.

And don't even get into trying to discuss airbags, you can barely understand the real life workings of seatbelts.
96blazer is offline  
post #35 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 06:18 PM
got me some 20s
 
rockyroad217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pine Bluff, AR
Age: 29
Posts: 4,008

User is: rockyroad217 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

If you dislike airbags so much, why don't you go buy an old car without airbags?


edit- oh yea..and to support 96blazer, my friend had a wreck and his seatbelt actually let him hit his head on the windshield..too bad he didnt have an airbag

-Ryan
1996 S10 2.2 5 speed, kinda low


http://www.waylayedinc.com

Posting Nothing- Please Wait

Last edited by rockyroad217; 05-28-2008 at 06:20 PM.
rockyroad217 is offline  
post #36 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Registered User
 
rokrskrapr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fairview Tn
Age: 31
Posts: 154

User is: rokrskrapr is offline
Send a message via AIM to rokrskrapr Send a message via MSN to rokrskrapr Send a message via Yahoo to rokrskrapr
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

hmmmm...........wtf is goin on here
rokrskrapr is offline  
post #37 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM
.
 
96blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ?
Posts: 32,819

User is: 96blazer is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?



















Yeah, no need for airbags when the seatbelts keep you held back.

But I'm sure you'll still try some feeble attempt at a rebuttal.
96blazer is offline  
post #38 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Registered User
 
purevil115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: lousiville, Ohio
Age: 28
Posts: 2,623

User is: purevil115 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

so with my billet steering wheel i shouldnt even wear my belt since its not going to help me anyways, or should I wear it to slow it down. I always thought they just stopped you, something new to me

-98' s10 bagged, shaved and layed, 40 inch ragtop, carbed 355, 20 inch black 100 spokes, kandy brandywine

-09 cobalt silver. daily first new car,staying stock since its nothing cool really

- 97 sierra rcsb 2wd, boring ass truck just used as a truck.
purevil115 is offline  
post #39 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM
.
 
96blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ?
Posts: 32,819

User is: 96blazer is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purevil115 View Post
so with my billet steering wheel i shouldnt even wear my belt since its not going to help me anyways, or should I wear it to slow it down. I always thought they just stopped you, something new to me
No, you should learn to read the entire thread before you make a foolish reply.

His whole arguement against airbags was that seatbelts will always keep you held back, therefor, no need for the airbags. Which is not true.
96blazer is offline  
post #40 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Daily Driver
 
sparky2613's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 219

User is: sparky2613 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

if u would have ask me in 2004, i would have said rip the air bag out

but i had some one pull out in front of me

i was doing 45mph and the aig bag saved my life








P.S. Silverados Roll on there sides
sparky2613 is offline  
post #41 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Daily Driver
 
sparky2613's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 219

User is: sparky2613 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

wow those are big pic...... (**FIX**)

Last edited by sparky2613; 05-28-2008 at 11:33 PM.
sparky2613 is offline  
post #42 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Those crazy ass dogs!!!
 
01cherryreds10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Illinois
Age: 25
Posts: 6,431

User is: 01cherryreds10 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

You guys have to realize, the seatbelts will stop at a certain point when the vehicle dramatically slows down, you on the other hand will keep going foward until something obstructs your path in which this case, the airbag and steering wheel.

01' Ext.Cab sold and dont miss it
79' Malibu LQ4/4L70e 11.23@118 1.50 60'
07' Silverado 1500 Classic
01cherryreds10 is offline  
post #43 of 58 Old 05-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Daily Driver
 
sparky2613's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 219

User is: sparky2613 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

X1
sparky2613 is offline  
post #44 of 58 Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 AM
It's "Neanderthal"
 
SH-60B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Meriden/CT/USA
Posts: 5,411

User is: SH-60B is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purevil115 View Post
so with my billet steering wheel i shouldnt even wear my belt since its not going to help me anyways, or should I wear it to slow it down. I always thought they just stopped you, something new to me
Install a Simpson racing harness if you're really worried.

1996 2.2, 5 speed, std cab, Sonoma
Teamsters Local 1150
SH-60B is offline  
post #45 of 58 Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
properly working, modern, seat belts will let you lean forward. to adjust the radio, or whatever. but in an impact, they will hold solid and not let you move forward much at all. nothing is perfect and fool proof. so just sitting in a car with the belt on, and seeing how far forward you can move, and then saying thats ALL the safety there is, is completely wrong.
96 matt are both right. Constant changing variables affect your safety within a vehicle.

But you said it nicely, thanx.
the point is they were designed decades apart one to assist the other. Mainly because seat belts were not good enough by themselves.
Some people do not agree w/ the air bag, but the fact is they do work, if not they would not be in cars today. Although my bro was killed by one it does not make me dislike bags, I was sitting 12" from him and mine sved my life.
Also my Father works for GM and guess what, he designs air bags and restraint systems.
Another point is taht some companies did market bags as SRS (supplementary restraint system). Does anyone know what supplementary means. As for now a days they are NOT considered supplementary.......Also car manufacturers are not stupid and would not install devices that kill more people than they save...CAN WE SAY MAJOR LAWSUIT

Last edited by XTC28; 06-01-2008 at 01:11 PM.
XTC28 is offline  
post #46 of 58 Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4

User is: FannBlade is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

Crap is it over?

Who won?
FannBlade is offline  
post #47 of 58 Old 06-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Daily Driver
 
sparky2613's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 219

User is: sparky2613 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

I think that when people get hurt by the air bag, Its because there short and they move the seat up, I'd try to be as far away as possible.

On a side note, OnStar Rocks!! they where on the truck phone before my truck stopped sliding on the ground......

Last edited by sparky2613; 06-03-2008 at 08:28 PM.
sparky2613 is offline  
post #48 of 58 Old 06-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 43

User is: XTC28 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

on star rocks!!!! just another great plan by GM.
I won!!!!
XTC28 is offline  
post #49 of 58 Old 06-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Davenport, IA
Age: 26
Posts: 593

User is: camaro590 is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

u can still pass inspection with a airbag in the steering wheel.

87 blazer 4x4. Sold
91 S10 Pickup, 355 v8. Traded
86 Camaro Iroc-Z.gone
92 Mighty Max W/350 chevy. Sold
85 C10 Shortbed Lowered. In Progress
94 chevy Silverado Traded
96 S10 Blazer 4x4. Sold
78 Jeep CJ5. In Progress
camaro590 is offline  
post #50 of 58 Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 783

User is: PimpingA1997Jimmy is offline
Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

why would it not pass inspection becouse of a wheel that does not have air bag on it if it was stock with a airbag i was thinking about taking the air bag out of the jimmy and putting a screen monitor in there just for fun
but does that mean that it wont let me pass the E check inspection
PimpingA1997Jimmy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome