illegal to swap steering wheel? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

illegal to swap steering wheel?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Steering & General Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Project has Started!

User is: OffLine
illegal to swap steering wheel?

Has anyone had a problem with the law or problem trying to get their truck inspection sticker or whatever and couldnt because of the billet steering wheel or aftermarket wheel? I know the laws about swapping a airbag wheel for a wheel without one but how much do people focus on this when trying to get an inspection or getting pulled over?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Have a nice day!

Re: illegal to swap steering wheel?

I'd say you would probably fail inspection because of it, but I don't think a cop would notice or care. I think another big thing is it's illegal to sell the truck without the factory airbags.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:24 AM   #3

I know that Grant is making aftermarket air bag wheels
fir larger rides. They look pretty sweet. I'm sure they
wouldn't have gone to the trouble and expense to do
so if they thought that their product was illegal.

Here's the link. Some are pretty nice. I believe Jegs is
carrying them for around 329.00 up. Click numbers
to see wheels.

http://www.grantproducts.com/c-61-re...ng-wheels.aspx
Old 05-12-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
Whood'a Thought

you won't pass inspection w/o an airbag if it was equipped from factory.
Unless you know someone or bribe them
Old 05-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #5

in NY you can't fail a truck if the air bag light is on. all you can do is advise the customer to cover your ass. i don't know specifics about the obvious missing air bag though...
Old 05-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Project has Started!

so i called hulio at the local inspection shop about the truck passing or not and he said as long as it has a horn i will be good.. fkn woot woot
Old 05-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by famsdym
so i called hulio at the local inspection shop about the truck passing or not and he said as long as it has a horn i will be good.. fkn woot woot

Nice
Old 05-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #8

That law makes my blood boil, who's to say what kind of wheel I have on my truck? Who's to say I have to have airbags?

I don't like airbags. SRS Stands for Supplementary restrain system. They were implimented to reduce the deaths by morons who didn't wear seat belts, not people who wear seat belts. If you wear a belt, you should never hit the wheel. If I'm not going to hit the wheel, then I'd rather not have some air bag flatten my face 12" away from it, crush my glasses into my face, burn the crap out of me, or blow my eardrums out.

Do airbags save lives? Sure, in some cases, particularly those in which the occupant isn't wearing a restraint, but the dirty little secret nobody ever wants to talk about is that airbags also kill people, usually ones wearing restraints. How many? Well good luck finding a study on that. It's a pet research interest of mine, and the best I could ever come up with was a 1 out of every 21 accident fatalities are caused by the bag itself and not the accident. By that we don't mean 21 accidents, we mean find 21 dead crash victims with airbags deployed and one of them was killed by the deployment, probably due to sitting to close to it or an over packed bag charge.

I'll quit ranting now, but that law burns me.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
whore turned lurker

Quote: Originally Posted by Matt2000
That law makes my blood boil, who's to say what kind of wheel I have on my truck? Who's to say I have to have airbags?

I don't like airbags. SRS Stands for Supplementary restrain system. They were implimented to reduce the deaths by morons who didn't wear seat belts, not people who wear seat belts. If you wear a belt, you should never hit the wheel. If I'm not going to hit the wheel, then I'd rather not have some air bag flatten my face 12" away from it, crush my glasses into my face, burn the crap out of me, or blow my eardrums out.

Do airbags save lives? Sure, in some cases, particularly those in which the occupant isn't wearing a restraint, but the dirty little secret nobody ever wants to talk about is that airbags also kill people, usually ones wearing restraints. How many? Well good luck finding a study on that. It's a pet research interest of mine, and the best I could ever come up with was a 1 out of every 21 accident fatalities are caused by the bag itself and not the accident. By that we don't mean 21 accidents, we mean find 21 dead crash victims with airbags deployed and one of them was killed by the deployment, probably due to sitting to close to it or an over packed bag charge.

airbags are only effective if you have your belt on,even with the seat belt on you will still hit your head on the steering wheel.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #10
paint color? ... Mud =D

wow you are a moron
airbags are meant to work in conjunction with a seatbelt
if you have your belt on without the airbag your head will hit the steering wheel
i know someone that happened to
now if you dont have on your seatbelt and you have an airbag it will hurt you
but if you wear your seatbelt and have airbags your in good shape
car companies aren't stupid, i can guarantee that
they do things for reasons

Last edited by 83blazer28; 05-18-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by 83blazer28
wow you are a moron
airbags are meant to work in conjunction with a seatbelt
if you have your belt on without the airbag your head will hit the steering wheel
i know someone that happened to
now if you dont have on your seatbelt and you have an airbag it will hurt you
but if you wear your seatbelt and have airbags your in good shape
car companies aren't stupid, i can guarantee that
they do things for reasons
I'm a moron? At least I don't write in all lowercase and actually use the occasional punctuation.

Airbags were implemented to reduce the death rate of unrestrained drivers, that's a fact. If you're not wearing a seat belt, yes the air bag is probably going to hurt you, however it will also be keeping your moronic ass from going through the windshield, which would probably hurt more, so it it all evens out in the end.

This feature is actually why American airbags are more dangerous than their foreign counterparts, which aren't designed to stop an obese American to dumb to wear a seatbelt from flying through the windshield. This allows them to inflate slower and are less likely to inflect harm on the person it's supposed to be saving, it's not there to stop you from leaving the vehicle, its there to cushion you. Something to note, is on some of the later vehicles, if your seat belts are latched, the computer will note it and reduce deployment speed to accommodate, this is progress.

As you pointed out, it is possible for you to hit the wheel while wearing a belt. However, it's possible to do almost anything. It is however, not a large risk for a person who has properly adjusted his seat in relation to the steering wheel and who is wearing his belt properly. If everything is adjusted properly, you should not hit the wheel. Observing the proper seat to wheel ratio will also greatly reduce the effects of a air bag deployment on you as well.

Although I wouldn't argue that car companies are the most brilliant of companies out there, they are fully aware that the public has had airbags shoved down their throat for decades and the more airbags they can cram in the car the safer the public will regard it as, and as such it will help their reputation and sales.

Something else to remember, is airbags are only good for one deployment, if you are being pinballed around with multiple impacts, or roll more than once, your airbags are gone, your first line of defense is your seat belt and proper adjustment of your seat and headrests.

Last edited by Matt2000; 05-19-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Airbags were implemented to reduce the death rate of unrestrained drivers, that's a fact. If you're not wearing a seat belt, yes the air bag is probably going to hurt you, however it will also be keeping your moronic ass from going through the windshield, which would probably hurt more, so it it all evens out in the end.
I think you need to look up airbags and how they are used. Airbags are used in conjunction with belts, not as a replacement for belts for morons who don't wear their belts.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
In Da Workz

HAHA!!! Your a retard... I wrecked once with my seatbelt on, seat half way back and the seat leaned back and still came up far enough to smack my face on the wheel...Yes airbags are responsible for some deaths but veryyyyyyy rarely, but all in all they save alotttttttttttttttt more people than they kill...

Air bags are designed to complement conventional restraints such as seat belts and seatbelt pre-tensioners, not replace them. The number of lives saved by airbags is hard to pin down. One study, cited below, puts the number at just under 400 per year (6,000 total), and another study indicates that air bags reduce fatalities by 8% when seat belts are worn. Airbags also greatly increase the efficiency of seat-belts, in some cases up to 50%.

Cited http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

I will give you the point you made on how airbags were generally considered a convenient alternative to seat belts, but yeah that was in the 70's an yeah it wasn't a law to wear it so that would be why all the morons you speak of didn't wear it. You can't argue that they don't save lives...
Old 05-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Whood'a Thought

E-fight!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by lowblaze2003
HAHA!!! Your a retard... I wrecked once with my seatbelt on, seat half way back and the seat leaned back and still came up far enough to smack my face on the wheel...Yes airbags are responsible for some deaths but veryyyyyyy rarely, but all in all they save alotttttttttttttttt more people than they kill...

Air bags are designed to complement conventional restraints such as seat belts and seatbelt pre-tensioners, not replace them. The number of lives saved by airbags is hard to pin down. One study, cited below, puts the number at just under 400 per year (6,000 total), and another study indicates that air bags reduce fatalities by 8% when seat belts are worn. Airbags also greatly increase the efficiency of seat-belts, in some cases up to 50%.

Cited http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbag

I will give you the point you made on how airbags were generally considered a convenient alternative to seat belts, but yeah that was in the 70's an yeah it wasn't a law to wear it so that would be why all the morons you speak of didn't wear it. You can't argue that they don't save lives...
Quote:
Your a retard
Priceless.

Actually you can, crush zones, safety “cages”, seat belts, padded or “soft” steering wheels, ABS, power steering, power brakes, etc, etc have all helped contribute to safer cars, it isn’t all due to air bags, and might not be due to them at all, there are studies out there that argue airbag equipped cars actually have a higher death rate attached to them, not lowered. Many of these studies go further into detail than simple “death rate before” ‘death rate after” boy aren’t we good studies the government used to pat itself on the back.

The fact still remains that airbags were initially implemented to reduce the death rate of unrestrained drivers, not belted drivers. The cause of the high automotive death rate in the 60’s and 70’s wasn’t due to belted drivers, it was unbelted drivers. As a result the government felt the need to get involved and eventually implemented among other things that at least one of several “passive” devices, such as automatic seat belts which “forced” the occupant to wear belts, or airbags, be on the vehicle in an attempt to force people to wear a belt or reduce the death rate of an unbelted driver.

Do airbags work with seat belts? Of course they do, now, I know how they work, however the fine tuning of airbags is a fairly recent development, it hasn’t always been that way. Also, if you know how they work, you also see how they can easily compound the forces of the accident and kill you, and it happens far more often that people think. The sad fact is however, if the victims family doesn’t pursue an investigation and charges, no one else will, and in fact, most people are so brain washed that it will never even occur to them that the airbag might have been the reason they died, not the crash, and if it does occur to them they might still just chalk it up to the cost of having air bags or airbag failure, they aren’t perfect, they don’t work in every situation, a few will always die. When you hear of someone who died in a crash, what do you think? Sad, must have been a bad crash. You don’t think, I wonder if the airbag was what killed them. No one knows exactly how many people are killed by airbags, and what numbers are out there are understated for sure simply because of the reasons outlined above, and due to the hardships evolved in proving that it was actually the airbag that was responsible for the death. The number I have seen most often though is 1-21, which to me, isn't all that waaaay less than they kill nor all that much more than they save to me.

I'm not saying airbags are the devil incarnate, but the systems use on many vehicles, particularly older vehicles, are not all that state of the art and likely to hurt or kill you as save you. We have better systems, and we have for years, we've know using a higher powered deployment could and does result in accidental deaths, we've known was to improve but those of us with a brain also know that when it comes to meeting standards that is often is all that is done, meet the standard, to do more than that would cost money = less profits. We're all familiar with the Pinto Scandal.

In Europe they have less powerful airbags, they are not designed to stop an unbelted driver, so they don’t need to inflate as fast, and thus are less likely to cause harm. If you are belted, American airbags with their higher speed and rate of expansion can cause you harm, perhaps more harm than good, this is a recognized problem and why as I noted earlier, some cars will now recognize if the occupants are belted, and reduce the power of the airbag if they are.

By the way Wikipedia isn’t allowed as a reference source even in grade school.

Last edited by Matt2000; 05-20-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #16
I void warranties

Priceless.

Actually you can, crush zones, safety “cages”, seat belts, padded or “soft” steering wheels, ABS, power steering, power brakes, etc, etc have all helped contribute to safer cars, it isn’t all due to air bags, and might not be due to them at all, there are studies out there that argue airbag equipped cars actually have a higher death rate attached to them, not lowered. Many of these studies go further into detail than simple “death rate before” ‘death rate after” boy aren’t we good studies the government used to pat itself on the back.

The fact still remains that airbags were initially implemented to reduce the death rate of unrestrained drivers, not belted drivers. The cause of the high automotive death rate in the 60’s and 70’s wasn’t due to belted drivers, it was unbelted drivers. As a result the government felt the need to get involved and eventually implemented among other things that at least one of several “passive” devices, such as automatic seat belts which “forced” the occupant to wear belts, or airbags, be on the vehicle in an attempt to force people to wear a belt or reduce the death rate of an unbelted driver.

Do airbags work with seat belts? Of course they do, now, I know how they work, however the fine tuning of airbags is a fairly recent development, it hasn’t always been that way. Also, if you know how they work, you also see how they can easily compound the forces of the accident and kill you, and it happens far more often that people think. The sad fact is however, if the victims family doesn’t pursue an investigation and charges, no one else will, and in fact, most people are so brain washed that it will never even occur to them that the airbag might have been the reason they died, not the crash, and if it does occur to them they might still just chalk it up to the cost of having air bags or airbag failure, they aren’t perfect, they don’t work in every situation, a few will always die. When you hear of someone who died in a crash, what do you think? Sad, must have been a bad crash. You don’t think, I wonder if the airbag was what killed them. No one knows exactly how many people are killed by airbags, and what numbers are out there are understated for sure simply because of the reasons outlined above, and due to the hardships evolved in proving that it was actually the airbag that was responsible for the death. The number I have seen most often though is 1-21, which to me, isn't all that waaaay less than they kill nor all that much more than they save to me.

I'm not saying airbags are the devil incarnate, but the systems use on many vehicles, particularly older vehicles, are not all that state of the art and likely to hurt or kill you as save you. We have better systems, and we have for years, we've know using a higher powered deployment could and does result in accidental deaths, we've known was to improve but those of us with a brain also know that when it comes to meeting standards that is often is all that is done, meet the standard, to do more than that would cost money = less profits. We're all familiar with the Pinto Scandal.

In Europe they have less powerful airbags, they are not designed to stop an unbelted driver, so they don’t need to inflate as fast, and thus are less likely to cause harm. If you are belted, American airbags with their higher speed and rate of expansion can cause you harm, perhaps more harm than good, this is a recognized problem and why as I noted earlier, some cars will now recognize if the occupants are belted, and reduce the power of the airbag if they are.

By the way Wikipedia isn’t allowed as a reference source even in grade school.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #17
Have a nice day!

jesus christ this thread took a wrong turn
Old 05-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #18
Ticket Magnet

Quote: Originally Posted by greenflameS10
jesus christ this thread took a wrong turn
Let me help you out..

Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #19
Can I get a hot tub?

Quote: Originally Posted by lowblaze2003
did that really just happen?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #20

Matt2000 Is Right!
Wiki....no.....hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha aaaaaa...................hahahahahahah
Hold On St Om Ach Hur Ts.......hahahahahahahahah...
Moron
Old 05-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #21

Quote: Originally Posted by XTC28
Matt2000 Is Right!
Wiki....no.....hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha aaaaaa...................hahahahahahah
Hold On St Om Ach Hur Ts.......hahahahahahahahah...
Moron

He stated:
you wear a belt, you should never hit the wheel.

Not only is that so incorrect, but just stupid to state. Then he goes and TRYS to flame someone for using Wiki.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #22

Quote: Originally Posted by 96blazer

He stated:
you wear a belt, you should never hit the wheel.

Not only is that so incorrect, but just stupid to state. Then he goes and TRYS to flame someone for using Wiki.
You know I knew wiki wasn't allowed in college, but I didn't know it wasn't allowed in grade school until I overheard a pair of grade school teachers expressing their frustration that it was constantly being cited as a source after explicitly being told it was not an allowed source. Go ask a grade schooler if you don't believe me.

In case you're not familiar with any of this, let me explain. Certain sources are not allowed because anyone with a brain knows they are full of shite. Actually, it's simply because they are not reliable, trustworthy sources, much like the majority of internet sources. Any source, that is freely modified and altered by anyone, regardless of their expertise or knowledge, is not a good source to cite. That should go without saying.

Never is never a good word to use, and I should not have used it, however if you read through my previous posts I have made it clear that this is if you properly adjust your seat to wheel ratio, and are properly wearing your belt, the wheel is of no great danger, even if you do hit it, as is evidenced by so many of you brilliant chaps speaking up to point out the root cause of so many things, your previous encounter with your steering wheel, also illustrated is the fact that you're still alive and in good physical heath if not in other aspects. However this all hinges on proper seat and seat belt usage.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM   #23

You know I knew wiki wasn't allowed in college, but I didn't know it wasn't allowed in grade school until I overheard a pair of grade school teachers expressing their frustration that it was constantly being cited as a source after explicitly being told it was not an allowed source. Go ask a grade schooler if you don't believe me.

In case you're not familiar with any of this, let me explain. Certain sources are not allowed because anyone with a brain knows they are full of shite. Actually, it's simply because they are not reliable, trustworthy sources, much like the majority of internet sources. Any source, that is freely modified and altered by anyone, regardless of their expertise or knowledge, is not a good source to cite. That should go without saying.

Never is never a good word to use, and I should not have used it, however if you read through my previous posts I have made it clear that this is if you properly adjust your seat to wheel ratio, and are properly wearing your belt, the wheel is of no great danger, even if you do hit it, as is evidenced by so many of you brilliant chaps speaking up to point out the root cause of so many things, your previous encounter with your steering wheel, also illustrated is the fact that you're still alive and in good physical heath if not in other aspects. However this all hinges on proper seat and seat belt usage.

Again, you're so wrong.

Don't know where you're getting your bullshit information from, but even with sitting correctly and using the seatbelt properly, the seatbelts can still freely give.

All this crap you're using to defend yourself is just that crap. In the real world, it's different. Go ask a grade school teacher if you need to.

In fact, go sit all properly in various vehicles and buckle in, then move your body forward, you'll see that the belt will not always keep your upper body back. Until you've done that, you're pretty much yapping nonsense.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #24

Again, you're so wrong.

Don't know where you're getting your bullshit information from, but even with sitting correctly and using the seatbelt properly, the seatbelts can still freely give.
Care to elaborate on that?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #25

Care to elaborate on that?
read the second portion of my reply again.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #26

read the second portion of my reply again.
Still need clarification and elucidation.

In fact, go sit all properly in various vehicles and buckle in, then move your body forward, you'll see that the belt will not always keep your upper body back. Until you've done that, you're pretty much yapping nonsense.
I can't tell if you are serious or not, you are aware of inertial reels locking mechanisms and pretensioners are you not?

I've been knocked unconscious not by my head impacting the steering wheel but by my chin contacting my chest, my head has never come near the steering wheel, although I must say my car wrecking career has been extremely limited, it's not high on my to do list. In all those instances however all an airbag would have done is knock the everliving croup out of me and possibly rearrange a few facial features I'd rather not have rearranged, permanent glasses for instance, I'm rather attached to my easily removable ones.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #27

Just move to a place where they don't check. Every hispanic that comes into the firestone I work has has airbags deployed. They cut them out and tape up the holes with packaging tape.

As for me, I am just worred that one day I will hit a bump and have that thing go off in my face. Not my idea of a good time.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #28

Still need clarification and elucidation.

Then go do what I said.
I can't tell if you are serious or not, you are aware of inertial reels locking mechanisms and pretensioners are you not?

I've been knocked unconscious not by my head impacting the steering wheel but by my chin contacting my chest, my head has never come near the steering wheel, although I must say my car wrecking career has been extremely limited, it's not high on my to do list. In all those instances however all an airbag would have done is knock the everliving croup out of me and possibly rearrange a few facial features I'd rather not have rearranged, permanent glasses for instance, I'm rather attached to my easily removable ones.
Sheesh.

"...aware of inertial reels locking mechanisms and pretensioners ...."
So all you know is what you've read somewhere, like I said, try some real world research. All that crap you are talking about does not work 100% in every instance. It's not a foolproof system no matter how properly a person is seated. You can sit there and restate all the info you've read off some web site, but go do some real world actual research, it's differs.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #29
Blown ex ***

properly working, modern, seat belts will let you lean forward. to adjust the radio, or whatever. but in an impact, they will hold solid and not let you move forward much at all. nothing is perfect and fool proof. so just sitting in a car with the belt on, and seeing how far forward you can move, and then saying thats ALL the safety there is, is completely wrong.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #30

Quote: Originally Posted by Jess
properly working, modern, seat belts will let you lean forward. to adjust the radio, or whatever. but in an impact, they will hold solid and not let you move forward much at all. nothing is perfect and fool proof. so just sitting in a car with the belt on, and seeing how far forward you can move, and then saying thats ALL the safety there is, is completely wrong.
No. Move forward at different speeds/forces, the belt still will not always hold you back.

To say what you did, about "in an impact..." is wrong, as impacts are not standardized. Your body can by thrusted forward at any rate of force or forces as you can be thrusted forward more than once in an accident.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 AM   #31

No. Move forward at different speeds/forces, the belt still will not always hold you back.

To say what you did, about "in an impact..." is wrong, as impacts are not standardized. Your body can by thrusted forward at any rate of force or forces as you can be thrusted forward more than once in an accident.
Are you really this ignorant of how seat belts work?
Old 05-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #32

Are you really this ignorant of how seat belts work?
No, you apparently are. You just spout off a bunch nonsense you have no clue or experience on. Obviously your hatered of the airbag deal clouds any intelligence you may have had on this topic.

You are also ignorant about accidents (among many other things).
Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #33

No, you apparently are. You just spout off a bunch nonsense you have no clue or experience on. Obviously your hatered of the airbag deal clouds any intelligence you may have had on this topic.

You are also ignorant about accidents (among many other things).
To think that the way a belt reacts with you sitting stationary in the cab moving yourself around is anything like how it reacts in an accident is what baffles my mind. What good would they be if they did?

Seat belts have a variety of ways they react, not all of which have to do with how fast they are unspooling, such as pendulum locks and various mechanisms that react to the basic physics of what the vehicle is doing.

The bottom line however, is that in an accident, they are going to lock and they are going to hold you in place and their performance is going to in no way reflect how they act when you are sitting stationary in a vehicle buckling up or leaning about reaching for things.

By the way I don't hate airbags, I just don't agree with them nor the government mandating what I can or can't do with my personal property.

Would it make you feel better if we started discussing the pro's of airbags?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #34

To think that the way a belt reacts with you sitting stationary in the cab moving yourself around is anything like how it reacts in an accident is what baffles my mind. What good would they be if they did?

Seat belts have a variety of ways they react, not all of which have to do with how fast they are unspooling, such as pendulum locks and various mechanisms that react to the basic physics of what the vehicle is doing.

The bottom line however, is that in an accident, they are going to lock and they are going to hold you in place and their performance is going to in no way reflect how they act when you are sitting stationary in a vehicle buckling up or leaning about reaching for things.
By the way I don't hate airbags, I just don't agree with them nor the government mandating what I can or can't do with my personal property.

Would it make you feel better if we started discussing the pro's of airbags?
The part I highlight just proves you don't know what you're talking about.

Sheesh, you can't be this dumb can you? In fact, one or two people already mentioned in this thread that their seatbelt didn't hold them back in their accidents. You can even go look at some crash tests and see the same thing.

And don't even get into trying to discuss airbags, you can barely understand the real life workings of seatbelts.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #35
got me some 20s

If you dislike airbags so much, why don't you go buy an old car without airbags?

edit- oh yea..and to support 96blazer, my friend had a wreck and his seatbelt actually let him hit his head on the windshield..too bad he didnt have an airbag

Last edited by rockyroad217; 05-28-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #36

hmmmm...........wtf is goin on here
Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #37

Yeah, no need for airbags when the seatbelts keep you held back.

But I'm sure you'll still try some feeble attempt at a rebuttal.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #38

so with my billet steering wheel i shouldnt even wear my belt since its not going to help me anyways, or should I wear it to slow it down. I always thought they just stopped you, something new to me
Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #39

Quote: Originally Posted by purevil115
so with my billet steering wheel i shouldnt even wear my belt since its not going to help me anyways, or should I wear it to slow it down. I always thought they just stopped you, something new to me
No, you should learn to read the entire thread before you make a foolish reply.

His whole arguement against airbags was that seatbelts will always keep you held back, therefor, no need for the airbags. Which is not true.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #40
Daily Driver

if u would have ask me in 2004, i would have said rip the air bag out

but i had some one pull out in front of me

i was doing 45mph and the aig bag saved my life

P.S. Silverados Roll on there sides
Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 PM   #41
Daily Driver

wow those are big pic...... (**FIX**)

Last edited by sparky2613; 05-28-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #42
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

You guys have to realize, the seatbelts will stop at a certain point when the vehicle dramatically slows down, you on the other hand will keep going foward until something obstructs your path in which this case, the airbag and steering wheel.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #43
Daily Driver

X1
Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #44
It's "Neanderthal"

Quote: Originally Posted by purevil115
Install a Simpson racing harness if you're really worried.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #45

Quote: Originally Posted by Jess
96 matt are both right. Constant changing variables affect your safety within a vehicle.

But you said it nicely, thanx.
the point is they were designed decades apart one to assist the other. Mainly because seat belts were not good enough by themselves.
Some people do not agree w/ the air bag, but the fact is they do work, if not they would not be in cars today. Although my bro was killed by one it does not make me dislike bags, I was sitting 12" from him and mine sved my life.
Also my Father works for GM and guess what, he designs air bags and restraint systems.
Another point is taht some companies did market bags as SRS (supplementary restraint system). Does anyone know what supplementary means. As for now a days they are NOT considered supplementary.......Also car manufacturers are not stupid and would not install devices that kill more people than they save...CAN WE SAY MAJOR LAWSUIT

Last edited by XTC28; 06-01-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #46

Crap is it over?

Who won?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #47
Daily Driver

I think that when people get hurt by the air bag, Its because there short and they move the seat up, I'd try to be as far away as possible.

On a side note, OnStar Rocks!! they where on the truck phone before my truck stopped sliding on the ground......

Last edited by sparky2613; 06-03-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:20 AM   #48

on star rocks!!!! just another great plan by GM.
I won!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #49

u can still pass inspection with a airbag in the steering wheel.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #50

why would it not pass inspection becouse of a wheel that does not have air bag on it if it was stock with a airbag i was thinking about taking the air bag out of the jimmy and putting a screen monitor in there just for fun
but does that mean that it wont let me pass the E check inspection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.