How to replace front and reear wheel studs? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How to replace front and reear wheel studs?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Steering & General Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #1

How to replace front and reear wheel studs?

I have just got my new Boss 338 wheels and need to shim them out abit with spacers to get them to fit, the problem then is there is not enough threads left on the wheel studs.

How do I replace the old with longer ones? What do I remove and how? And is there any possibility to replace them without removing anything, just replace them on the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
Getting faster

User is: OffLine
Re: How to replace front and reear wheel studs?

Theyre just pressed in. You can pound them out if your careful. And use a lug nut backwards(so the flat side is against the metal so you dont screw up the cone shape) to pull the new ones back in place.

Id recommend atleast pulling the front rotors off to do this(if this just a truck)

If you need to push them out more than like 1/4" or so, Id run a set of adapters instead.

Last edited by ZZ4Blazer; 06-23-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
i saw what you did there!

i use a center punch

im about to knock some out real quick on an old front wheel drive wheel bearing hub i always save them we use them all the time to replace bad oens for ppl when we are wrking on their cars

most are 12 mm

some 14

these days
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #4

Old ass thread I know, sorry. Are they pressed into the rotor? I haven't pulled it apart yet but I'd like to know what I'm getting in to. If so kick ass. Gf hit a pot hole and broke two.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl
Old ass thread I know, sorry. Are they pressed into the rotor? I haven't pulled it apart yet but I'd like to know what I'm getting in to. If so kick ass. Gf hit a pot hole and broke two.
Yes they are just pressed in. Remove the rotor and pop them out with a hammer. Place the new ones in and support the rotor on something solid and use a big punch and drive them in with a hammer. Just make sure they are down all the way, you can hear the sound change. If they are not in solid the wheel nuts can come loose when the studs are pulled in further by the wheel moving!

Now just reinstall the rotor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.