how to check for bad tie rod ends and ball joints?? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

how to check for bad tie rod ends and ball joints??

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Steering & General Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
how to check for bad tie rod ends and ball joints??

My truck has some play in the steering wheel, and the truck seems to like to drift around when driving? Are these signs of a bad ball joint or TRE?? I do a lot of trail riding, and going this weekend and would hate to break one. What should I check, and if they are going bad, how much more can they take before the break?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Molon Labe

Re: how to check for bad tie rod ends and ball joints??

They can take a lot before they break... but it'll ride so much better with new ones if the old ones are worn out.
To check for tie rod ends jack up the wheel and grab it at 9 and 3 oclock and give it a good left and right jiggle. If it moves with your jerking... its a tie rod end.
To check ball joints grab the tire at 12 and 6 and do a similar shake down. If it moves with your jerks in that direction, its a ball joint or two.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #3

[quote=
To check for tie rod ends jack up the wheel and grab it at 9 and 3 oclock and give it a good left and right jiggle. If it moves with your jerking... its a tie rod end.
[/quote]

doesn't a bad idler arm give the same results? Or is the jiggle more pronounced?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Molon Labe

I believe its more pronounced. Also while its up in the air, you'll probably be able to get a visual of any sound or movement on which one it is... especially on the driver's side since the idler is all the way on the pass side frame rail.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
who needs eardrums?

i always found the easiest way to tell if is was anything in the steering linkage is to get a friend to jiggle the steering wheel back and forth, while you watch the links. if its a ball joint you should be able to jiggle the tire top to bottom while its jacked up.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:28 AM   #6
I Rather Be Wheelin'

Check your rear suspension also. I thought I had bad balljoints and tierod ends because my truck would have some REALLY erratically dangerous steering. Come to find out (when I took the bed off), the bracket that goes between the axle and leaf spring on the right side was completely missing, and the u-bolts were traveling on the axle. caused one of leafs in the left pack to snap off too.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Molon Labe

Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisInVT
Check your rear suspension also. I thought I had bad balljoints and tierod ends because my truck would have some REALLY erratically dangerous steering. Come to find out (when I took the bed off), the bracket that goes between the axle and leaf spring on the right side was completely missing, and the u-bolts were traveling on the axle. caused one of leafs in the left pack to snap off too.
That sounds like one crazy fluke scenario. But hey... wouldn't hurt to check out the rear either.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
I Rather Be Wheelin'

Yeah, It definitely made my day!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
I AM CANADIAN

When I check balljoints I jack up under the control arms and feel for play, if you have the suspension under load the balljoint play will be more noticable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.