96 Blazer front end noise - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

96 Blazer front end noise

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Steering & General Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #1

96 Blazer front end noise

I have a metal to metal, popping, clunking sound (best I can describe) as I cross the gutter from my driveway to the street, is this a possible A-arm bushing or ball joint that is bad or broken shock? I have looked under the truck and can't see anything wrong. I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else before I go tearing the front end apart. My Blazer has 170K plus highway miles on it and have never tore the front end apart. All the tie rods, centerlink, idler arm and ball joints appear tight, always have been kept lubed. Can ball joints be checked by removing shocks and compressing front springs? Thanks for any information.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Have a nice day!

User is: OffLine
Re: 96 Blazer front end noise

put the truck on jackstands under the frame so the front tires are off the ground, grab each tire and shake them around to see if anything moves or makes noise.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:48 AM   #3

Has anyone ever changed out A arm bushings? Could this be the noise I'm hearing? Ball joints are tight, just hear the metalic-pop noise as I turn and cross the gutter bump at the bottom of driveway
Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Molon Labe

User is: OffLine

It's probably your ball joints. As said above, jack the front tires off the ground, grab the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to rock it back forth. If there's movement you have a bad balljoint or two. If no movement, check the left to right movement by grabbing the tire at 9 and 3 and rocking. If it rocks that way, you likely have steering components that need to be replaced. If you can get a visual of the linkages while doing this you are more likely to pinpoint what's wrong.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #5

My '97 was doing the same thing, and I chased after every part of the suspension, only to find it was the front U-joint starting to go.

Just FYI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.