'94 S-10 G-Body suspension - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

'94 S-10 G-Body suspension

Hello all. I'm (re)starting my S-10 project and I'm starting with the suspension. I'm running a set of stock '08 'Vette wheels (18x8.5) up front with 2 1/4" spacers.

I'm setting the truck up as a pro-touring/road course vehicle so I'd like to remove the wheel spacers. I've read many people using a B/G-body suspension, but I'm not really sure how much wider these suspensions are over the stock S-10. Everything I've read seems to indicate that I can achieve a 2" wider track-width (per side) by using G-Body Upper and Lower control arms, and spindles. Can someone verify this?

Also, has anyone done this swap and install the C5 Corvette brakes?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM
I turn.

Re: '94 S-10 G-Body suspension

G-body control arms and spindles are identical to S-series so you won't gain any width - not sure where that info about wider track came from. The 'vette brake setup may move things out 1/8" or so IIRC but it's nothing significant.

Spacers aren't ideal but tonnes of pro race teams run them. From an engineering stand-point there's no reason why they should cause any more issues than just running a wider wheel would. It's been discussed on the pro-touring forums many times. I've run something like 80 auto-X events on my spacers and 'vette wheels without any problems.

Auto-X mule: EC 2wd 4.3 auto, XTREME80 tune, bolt ons, UBM UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall BJs, QA1 coilovers and shocks, Torsen LSD, C5 brakes, race seats, Toyo R888's.
Winter daily: '94 Jimmy 4dr 4wd. Exceptionally stock.
Summer daily / auto-X: '95 Firebird Formula Ram Air, LT1/T56, Koni/Strano/BMR suspension

post #3 of 9 Old 09-26-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Thanks for the response. I guess the wider track width was assumed because that's what I was looking for...

I think I'm going to grab some G-body UCA's and F-Body tall spindles.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-26-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Okay...so scratch the F-body spindles. Seems those won't work.

Are the stock/standard spindles all of the "tall" variety? Or are there only certain models considered tall?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 PM

Have a look at this and see if this answers any questions.

http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=329
post #6 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 AM
I turn.

You can swap to a B-body spindle to gain some extra spindle height but it supposedly induces bump-steer issues. I haven't looked into it so I don't know much about it other than that. ATS makes a tall spindle for G-bodies that will work but they're billet and run well over a grand. They also require a 'vette brake setup so that adds to the initial cost. L&H Customs was looking into a slightly cheaper version of the tall spindle that didn't require the 'vette brakes but I can't remember if it ever made it to production.

The cheapest/easiest way to go is to just do tall upper and lower balljoints. You get most of the benefits of the tall spindles except the weight reduction (and maybe steering geometry improvements?). Proforged or Howe sell 0.5" taller versions. Call Marcus at SC&C if you want a pre-engineered handling package - the guy knows his stuff.

Kore3 or Flynbye have the adapter brackets to mount any kind of big brake upgrade you can think of to any of the s-series spindles.

The late model 2wd blazer spindles have bolt-on sealed bearing hubs and twin piston brakes equivalent to the LS1 calipers (except heavier) if you want a simple bolt-on setup.

Auto-X mule: EC 2wd 4.3 auto, XTREME80 tune, bolt ons, UBM UCAs, Spohn LCAs, tall BJs, QA1 coilovers and shocks, Torsen LSD, C5 brakes, race seats, Toyo R888's.
Summer daily / auto-X: '95 Firebird Formula Ram Air, LT1/T56, Koni/Strano/BMR suspension

post #7 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Registered Users

Yeah, I agree. I think I can accomplish what I need to do by just using the taller upper and lower ball-joints.

I think the reason I was stuck on going to a B/G-body spindle was because I'm starting with a '94 (integrated hub/rotor) and would like to eventually upgrade to a C5/C6. I looked up the part numbers for (aftermarket) '94 spindles and '00 spindles and it shows the same number. Does this mean I can just buy the hubs for a 98+ and bolt them onto my '94 spindles, or do I have to buy 98+ spindles?
post #8 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM

You'll need the 98+ blazer spindles to use the hubs. I have done the Blazer brake swap on my 94 and it is pretty simple to do.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 AM
I turn.

2wd blazer spindle looks completely different from the 2wd S10 spindle. The hubs bolt on in the same way that the 'vette hubs do

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page