2 wheel to 4 wheel drive. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Steering & General Suspension
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
Big Block's are Bad Ass!!

User is: OffLine
2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.

I have a'98 S10 and was toying around with the idea of converting it to 4 wheel drive. Is the frame the same on a 2 wheel drive as a 4 wheel drive truck? If I was to find a used axle and spring set up, would it bolt up to my frame. I relize I might have to change the idler and pitman arm also. The trans. or gear box can come later. I'm a diesel truck mechanic so I'm not new to suspension issues. I'm Just wondering if anyone has done this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
Phoenix

Re: 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.

Way more work than it is worth, find a 4x4 frame if that is what you want.
The 2x is a compleatly different front suspension, mounting points, mounts for the front diff. type of front springs ( yours are coil, 4x is torsion ) actually the frame from the cowl forward is compleatly different.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
Master Shake

Well, the "easiest" way to make a 2wd S-10 into a 4wd using other 4wd S-10 parts is gonna be to swap frames. See, the whole front half of the frame for a 4wd S-10 is totally different; suspension mounting points, crossmember design, etc. So simply getting a 4wd S-10 T-case and front diff isn't gonna work without tons of fabbing work.

If you could find a 4wd chassis and running gear of the same body configuration, it would work and you'd just have to swap over the front clip, cab, box, etc from your truck.

Otherwise, your only other option is a solid axle swap. And there's been plenty of people who've done that, there's a section in the "Liftin It" forum for SFA (solid front axle) conversions here: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f221/solid-axle-thread-68267/
Old 05-17-2005, 06:32 PM   #4
Big Block's are Bad Ass!!

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling the frame was differant but I just didn't know. A frame swap is out of the question. This truck is just in too good shape for all that.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
Surf Naked

Yea definately not worth the cash. Once you factor in the frame, front and rear axles, driveshafts, transfer case, steering components, new leafs and coils, shocks, it adds up to more than a 4x4 s-10 would be complete. Just be content or find another truck
Old 05-19-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Insane Network Engineer

Quote: Originally Posted by DanMan2k06
Yea definately not worth the cash. Once you factor in the frame, front and rear axles, driveshafts, transfer case, steering components, new leafs and coils, shocks, it adds up to more than a 4x4 s-10 would be complete. Just be content or find another truck
Actually 4x4's dont use coils, they use torsion bars.. But I agree with what yer saying. Also the ECM would need changed as well as the engine harness, the body harness would have to be changed, and all the tiny parts that have to be added with the big parts. The only way to do it at a reasonable cost would to buy a wreck and hope the frame is ok..
Old 06-03-2005, 08:38 AM   #7

I have a 99 2 door blazer LT1 that i want to convert to 2 wheel drive, if anyone has a 2 wheel drive frame from a 2 door i would be willing to swap. Full rolling frame W/axels + suspension.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #8
One Piece At A Time

I just got done putting my S-10 4x2 on a 4x4 frame about 6 months ago. Really no issues with that swap other than having to cut a hole in the floor for a shifter, which if you got a later model 4x4 frame(which you would prolly have to), you would prolly have electronic 4WD. The frame harness bolted right up to my distribution block with no issues. Theres only a few wires here and there that were out of place, but were easy to hook up.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
F u c k Wyotech

sfa on coils would be the way to go..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.