What's the longest sawzall blade available? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

What's the longest sawzall blade available?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Fabricators Forum
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
I <3 Primer

User is: OffLine
What's the longest sawzall blade available?

I need to cut a piece of 1/2" tubing on a piece of equipment but the blade needs to pass through a narrow opening and reach the tubing that is about 14" away from the opening. Is there a sawzall blade that is longer than 12"?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
Tech Mod

Re: What's the longest sawzall blade available?

I'd like to say "no" but honestly that is just a guess. any blade that long wouldn't be sturdy enough to cut anything i would think.

how narrow is the opening? if anything you could always get a piece of round bar steel, grind one end down to fit into the sawzall, then weld the blade to the other end?

kinda sounds ghetto i know, it would be a one time thing but it would work... any pics of the equipment and the piece you are trying to cut? maybe someone else can get an idea IF there is not long enough sawzall blade. who knows, could be other ways to cut it so just throwing ideas out that come across my head this late

Last edited by beandip; 11-06-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Heavy Metal Body Man

Quote: Originally Posted by beandip
I'd like to say "no" but honestly that is just a guess. any blade that long wouldn't be sturdy enough to cut anything i would think.

how narrow is the opening? if anything you could always get a piece of round bar steel, grind one end down to fit into the sawzall, then weld the blade to the other end?

kinda sounds ghetto i know, it would be a one time thing but it would work... any pics of the equipment and the piece you are trying to cut? maybe someone else can get an idea IF there is not long enough sawzall blade. who knows, could be other ways to cut it so just throwing ideas out that come across my head this late
i was thinking the same thing when i seen this thread, if one isnt available that long, cut a blade in half and weld a chunk of flatstock between the ends... but that would be a last resort thing, i dont know how well that would work lol
Old 11-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by noma97
I need to cut a piece of 1/2" tubing on a piece of equipment but the blade needs to pass through a narrow opening and reach the tubing that is about 14" away from the opening. Is there a sawzall blade that is longer than 12"?
Pictures would be a help. It's possible carbon arc removal might be an option.

Mathius
Old 11-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
I <3 Primer

Quote: Originally Posted by Mathius
Pictures would be a help. It's possible carbon arc removal might be an option.

Mathius
while that is a good suggestion, carbon arc isn't going to be that convenient for this. i'm just going to cut 2 blades and weld them. not likely to last very long but it just needs to work for 1 cut.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
4x4 v6 blazer

Good luck. I've tried this before and the welding screws with the blades temper and they always break easily.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #7

The guys over at shopfloortalk might have an idea. They might even know how to re-temper the blade once you've welded it together. <shrug> Depends on how much effort you want to put into research.

Mathius
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
My mirror hates my sub

make your own.. get a piece of bandsaw blade, cut to length, cut the end so it fits in the sawzall.. problem solved
Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by Speedy2222
make your own.. get a piece of bandsaw blade, cut to length, cut the end so it fits in the sawzall.. problem solved

Have to be a pretty heavy bandsaw blade. Most of them are pretty thin unless you find a big unit and I think they'd just be too flimsy for the rpm's a sawzaw puts out. I could be wrong.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius; 11-11-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.