Self Dimming Welding Helmet. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Self Dimming Welding Helmet.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Fabricators Forum
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
The Deftones

User is: OffLine
Self Dimming Welding Helmet.

Like ive said in other Threads, Im a begginer welder and the thing I find that kind of gets me is when your first making the tack weld and you have to tilt your helmet down I always seem to inch over my hand without realizing it and miss the spot that I want to tack. Because I seem to do that, DO you guys think A self Dimming Helmet would work good for my case, I figure I would since I would have to Try and keep my hand in one place while tilting the helmet. What has been your guyes experience with this. Should I just man up and spend the extra money one the self dimming helmet or just learn to keep my hand in one place?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #2

Re: Self Dimming Welding Helmet.

i do like the auto darkening helmets they are great, but another thing when i am welding i always like to have a solid rest on something to keep my arm stable. Or just loosen the two side knobs on your helmet and jerk your head to flip it down
Old 06-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
s-series #2?

self dimming ftw
Old 06-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
This season SUCKS.

Quote: Originally Posted by LowboyTrucks
i do like the auto darkening helmets they are great, but another thing when i am welding i always like to have a solid rest on something to keep my arm stable. Or just loosen the two side knobs on your helmet and jerk your head to flip it down
Problem with that, is that it falls when you don't want it to... I use a Harbor Freight auto-dimmer, and it's always worked great...

The problem I'm having now is that my welder will sometimes arc without the trigger being pulled, so it tends to blind the **** out of me when I least expect it.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Overhead Console Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by dngrous_dime
Problem with that, is that it falls when you don't want it to... I use a Harbor Freight auto-dimmer, and it's always worked great...

The problem I'm having now is that my welder will sometimes arc without the trigger being pulled, so it tends to blind the **** out of me when I least expect it.
yea thats bad....ide get that fixed before you go blind.
and deff. auto dimming FTW. but make sure you get the right kind....some are made for different types of welding. this is what i have and i love it...more than my woman
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...erformance.php
to me its one of the best you can get for a decent price.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
This season SUCKS.

Quote: Originally Posted by raven2510
yea thats bad....ide get that fixed before you go blind.
and deff. auto dimming FTW. but make sure you get the right kind....some are made for different types of welding. this is what i have and i love it...more than my woman
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...erformance.php
to me its one of the best you can get for a decent price.
I've just learned that I need to be really careful about where the torch is pointed when the hood's not down. lol
Old 06-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #7

New here but been a welder for years. I like an auto darkening helmet, but you need to be careful of the cheap ones. They are sometimes slow at switching which can give you enough flash to do some damage. Problem is you won't notice it, it will be slow and then one day you'll notice you can't see as well.
P.S. mig sucks. Any monkey can pull a trigger.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #8
This season SUCKS.

Quote: Originally Posted by Zippy69
New here but been a welder for years. I like an auto darkening helmet, but you need to be careful of the cheap ones. They are sometimes slow at switching which can give you enough flash to do some damage. Problem is you won't notice it, it will be slow and then one day you'll notice you can't see as well.
P.S. mig sucks. Any monkey can pull a trigger.
Nice first post, noob.... And MIG may be easy, but it's also the undisputable best for sheetmetal work.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
Overhead Console Expert

Nice first post, noob.... And MIG may be easy, but it's also the indisputable best for sheet metal work.
no its not....maybe for mig/beginners. i tig sheet metal if all possible. you don't have to add filler it you don't want.

and they turn on rate should be on the box you get it in. it'll show you the fastest it can go....and tig has the fastest turn on for welding.
and flash burn is what its called...and hours later is when it will hurt...ever got sand in ur eyes...thats what it feels like. some helmets aren't made for repetitive tack situation's....where the helmet can't compensate for the turn off/on fast enough. 1/20,000 should be plenty for you....1/12,000 is the min. i would go with.

Last edited by Raven; 06-22-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
Works too much.

I dropped $700 on an Optrel Satellite. Best helmet I've ever used.

Comfy as hell, light, and you can adjust from a shade 5-13. I've used it for GMAW and SMAW, and also used it while torching crap with the OA torches.

One thing I'll recommend, especially with cheaper auto helmets, is close your eyes when you start your arc. Won't notice a difference in smaller amounts of welding, but if you're welding for a full day, that minor delay can give you a flash over time.

I remember welding in a production shop, with a $100 auto-darken helmet, my eyes burned so goddamn bad after that first 12 hr shift. It feels like sand in your eyes as mentioned, and your vision will be blurry as hell. You won't realize how bad the flash is until later in the day/night.

If you do get flashed, moisten some tea bags and put them over your eyes - it helps.

Also MIG is far from useless, it's clean and it's quick. Great for production or working with lighter materials when you don't have the time for TIG. Any monkey can pull a trigger, but I know a bunch of guys that can weld with SMAW beautifully but their GMAW work looks like swiss cheese.

Last edited by BlownDime; 06-23-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
former owner

Any monkey can pull a trigger, sure. But that doesn't mean that monkey can lay down a proper weld.

I like the auto-darkening helmets. I got a pretty cheap one at Home Depot for $100. It only has one shade, but it's been fine for what little I do. I can't stand trying to flip the helmet down. My hand always moves a tiny bit and it pisses me off. When the technology is there to make it easier, why not use it?

One of the old guys here in our lab hates auto darkening helmets, because he's been flashed before when it just suddenly didn't work. Despite that, I still like them. I just make absolutely sure I check it against a light above me or something if the helmet hasn't been used for a couple minutes. I've never had a problem.

Last edited by 98SS; 06-23-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #12
Will work for turbo parts

Once you use one, you can't figure out how to use the regular ones again.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
Now owns an S-10

When i first started welding, i used a non-auto dark helmet, and i hated the shit out of it!

I went and picked myself up a Miller Elite Series helmet. I love that thing to death, its my little pride and joy!
Old 06-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #14

Nice first post, noob.... And MIG may be easy, but it's also the undisputable best for sheetmetal work.
Tig beats mig, especially for sheet metal.
When you learn how to tig, you'll want to forget you ever looked at a mig or God forbid....
flux core....... blech!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
Now owns an S-10

^^^^^I can see this guy lasting long around here

Its not a good idea to come to a new forum and be a smart ass right off the bat...damn noobs around here!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #16
Overhead Console Expert

y...b/c he's right. Tig is far superior to MIG if you don't want to add filler.
and it makes a smaller, cleaner weld. y do you think they weld custom bikes/intercooler piping with it
Old 06-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #17
**** New Jersey

flip the hood down with your neck?

but yea, auto darkin hoods are nice
Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #18
Now owns an S-10

Quote: Originally Posted by raven2510
y...b/c he's right. Tig is far superior to MIG if you don't want to add filler.
and it makes a smaller, cleaner weld. y do you think they weld custom bikes/intercooler piping with it
no, because of his smart ass attitude. I can agree that TIG is a better welding process for sheetmetal, rather then MIG.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #19
Give me 3 yrs...

Quote: Originally Posted by greencactus3
self dimming ftw
unless ur welding inside somthing, or under somthing or at any angle other then 45 degrees ive HATED every auto darkening ive ever used, the work great if your doing simple well lined up welds but say your doing the weld on the inside of a sheetmetal box... prepare to spend the next 2 days with sand in ur eyes. because ur auto darkening wont pickup the flash off the inside of the box and bam... owned.

its happened to me more then 2ce, and again the same thing if your laying on ur back with ur head tilted upwards welding inside a frame or crossmember the mask fails time and again to dim. ive sworn them off.

self dimming ftl

Last edited by JollyRojer; 06-25-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #20

i wanted to buy one when i started welding but my dad made a good point. learn how to do something the hard way or without the very best tools and when you get the tools or a better way you will be that much better at it. so i welded for a little over a year and he bought me a hobart auto dark helmet for christmas. and i love it. but i can still use a reg. helmet if i am welding somewhere else without mine.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #21
Give me 3 yrs...

Quote: Originally Posted by chukky82
i wanted to buy one when i started welding but my dad made a good point. learn how to do something the hard way or without the very best tools and when you get the tools or a better way you will be that much better at it. so i welded for a little over a year and he bought me a hobart auto dark helmet for christmas. and i love it. but i can still use a reg. helmet if i am welding somewhere else without mine.

ur dads a damn smart man, ive seen some of the welds when people try to switch over from an auto darkening to the regular hoods and its actually alil funny watching them fumble around. im hardly a professional but i weld for at least an hour a day at my job and i do my best to absorb as much info as i can.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #22
former owner

When you learn how to tig, you'll want to forget you ever looked at a mig or God forbid....
flux core....... blech!

An experienced welder can do an amazing job with TIG. The versatility of a good TIG machine is incredible. No one is arguing that. I might, however, point out that just because it's MIG doesn't mean it's flux core. That comment makes me wonder if you know anything at all about welding.

But regardless, the point of this thread is not TIG vs MIG. It's about auto-darkening helmets. Take your pointless posts elsewhere, or get reported.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #23

Quote: Originally Posted by 98SS
An experienced welder can do an amazing job with TIG. The versatility of a good TIG machine is incredible. No one is arguing that. I might, however, point out that just because it's MIG doesn't mean it's flux core. That comment makes me wonder if you know anything at all about welding.

But regardless, the point of this thread is not TIG vs MIG. It's about auto-darkening helmets. Take your pointless posts elsewhere, or get reported.
I've been welding for 20 years. You need to re read my post. I said mig as in Metal Inert Gas. Then I mentioned flux core. You were the one who felt a need to make a comment to me in the first place. So you can take your e-thug attitude to someone who cares.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #24
former owner

Re-read and understood. I didn't read it like you meant, which now I see was ...

Quote:
When you learn how to tig, you'll want to forget you ever looked at a mig or, God forbid, flux core ....... blech!
I missed the "or", I guess. My bad. But my point still remains intact that you're off topic by making that argument.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #25
**** New Jersey

flux core....... blech!

whats MIG?
i think you mean GMAW

Old 07-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #26
The Deftones

So I bought a Self Dimming helmet about a week or so ago and love it. Its just a cheapo harbor fright one but I wanted to see how much better it is before I invest on a expensive one you know., Soooo much better I love it. ill just use this one till its fails me then Ill get a kick ass one down the road. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 07-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #27

I love my Hobart. Best thing I've ever bought for welding.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #28
Wtf is a chop...

has anyone have any experience with the Morsafe Welding Helmet? Such as this one:
http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we.../590ADFVL.html or the other versions
Old 07-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #29

Quote: Originally Posted by Tim99Zr2
whats MIG?
i think you mean GMAW

What does my Grandma have to do with welding helmets?
Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #30

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WELDI...spagenameZWDVW
i have one of these as well as a $250 helmet and this here works great havent had a problem yet, im not the greatest welder but i have been welding for about 10 years, did it at work for about 4 and tought many people how to weld, ive used a lot of self dimming helmets, and this helmet is what i would recommend unless you are rich or are gona do it for a job.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #31

ive hAD several differnt selfdimming helments but my favorite by far is my optrel satalite and belive me im rough on stuff i am a union millwright ive been welding for about ten years now i dont no it all but i keep my self pretty informed about welding
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #32
s10 newb

I love my auto darkening helmet. I spent a good amount on it but it was well worth it. It has never left my eyes tired at the end of the day. Its has solar charged batteries so when I dont use it fora while I leave it in the sun for a while, otherwise it just charges off the arc. When the battery gets low it doesn't lighten, which is a good safety feature. When the battery gets low, its always dark so you dont have to worry about getting flashed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.