Please HELP with Chicago Electric 151 dual MIG welder - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Please HELP with Chicago Electric 151 dual MIG welder

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Fabricators Forum
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 03:20 AM   #1

Question Please HELP with Chicago Electric 151 dual MIG welder

Why did I buy it? Well, it's second hand and cost not much more than a tank of gas. So....I got it. I needed it. But it came with no instructions, and I don't know much about MIG! And no plug on the cord to plug it in (been Cut off I guess?) . Have no clue how to load the wire roll (?). Or how to feed the wire into the tube that goes to the gun, Or what the plug should look like so I can get a replacement!

And don't understand the controls. Has a knob that rotates from 1 to 10. Hmmm. An On/Off switch, OK. A 2 position switch that says "1/2" and another 2 position switch that says High/Low.

Anyone know : can I plug it into a dryer or stove outlet? It's supposed to be 230 volts, and I think up to 115 amps or so.

Any help would be appreciated, especially if you have a scanned copy or photocopy of the manual that I can get my hands on! Thanks thanks thanks!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Ross Racing Engines

User is: OffLine
Re: Please HELP with Chicago Electric 151 dual MIG welder

I have the exact same welder. Any 220 outlet will power it. Just get the proper male end to attach to your cord. The switches: 1-low = lowest amp setting 2-high = highest amp setting. Spool.....uses 2 lbs spools. Unscrew the metal nut, slide spool on...unclamp wire tensioner and thread wire in. Clamp tensioner back down. Stretch out torch as straight as you can and pull the trigger. Wire sould feet all the way to you. Keep an eye on the spool so you don't crimp and break the wire as your feeding it. Once it's at the torch, set wire feed speed (dial that goes from 1-10) and start welding.

Cliff's Notes: A manual can be obtained from harborfreight.com
Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #3

Re: Please HELP with Chicago Electric 151 dual MIG welder

Hey - thanks VERY much!!! I found the EXACT manual I needed for the welder on the Harbor Freight website, here is the link to it for anyone else who may need it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/6000-6999/6271.pdf

I'm still a bit confused about 220 outlets though. And the whole issue of hot wires versus neutral wires (which aren't ground wires!). I looked around the internet, and a few websites say to go ahead and use a dryer outlet, and just get a plug adaptor, and some say "NO - a dryer outlet uses different mixes of hot and neutral wires", so I'm kind of running into a brick wall here.

If anyone knows about this for sure, I'd sure appreciate help in figuring it out! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.