Cutting Torch tank refill questions - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Cutting Torch tank refill questions

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Fabricators Forum
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
Off Roadin' Member

User is: OffLine
Cutting Torch tank refill questions

I have a cutting torch set, some call it a portable torch kit because it comes with the smallest set of oxy-fuel bottles they make, and you can carry the whole thing in this carrying case. My tanks have been empty for quite some time but I havent needed the torch so I never refilled them. Now I am going to use the torch quite frequently and Im afraid those small tanks wont last long and I will constantly be getting them refilled, but I dont have the money to buy those huge tanks, like you see welders/fabricators out in the workforce use. Someone told me that I can take my small bottles in empty, ask to upgrade to a bigger size and they will give me full tanks of a bigger size just for what it costs to refill the bigger tanks? is this true? I found it hard to believe, but I think one way or another Im going to need bigger tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2004, 11:18 PM   #2

Re: Cutting Torch tank refill questions

Quote: Originally Posted by fmfredrider501
I have a cutting torch set, some call it a portable torch kit because it comes with the smallest set of oxy-fuel bottles they make, and you can carry the whole thing in this carrying case. My tanks have been empty for quite some time but I havent needed the torch so I never refilled them. Now I am going to use the torch quite frequently and Im afraid those small tanks wont last long and I will constantly be getting them refilled, but I dont have the money to buy those huge tanks, like you see welders/fabricators out in the workforce use. Someone told me that I can take my small bottles in empty, ask to upgrade to a bigger size and they will give me full tanks of a bigger size just for what it costs to refill the bigger tanks? is this true? I found it hard to believe, but I think one way or another Im going to need bigger tanks
You really need to check with your local refiller, but at my local welding shop, they will upgrade for the cost difference of the bottle. For example, if the bottle you have costs $100 to buy, and the one you want costs $150 to buy, when you trade in your bottle, you have to pay the $50 difference, plus the refill cost on the new bottle.
So your friend was almost right
Old 01-29-2004, 11:19 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by fmfredrider501
You will be able to bring those tanks in and get up to the biggest size available to own. You will have to pay the diffrence in price and the cost to fill.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:45 PM   #4
Off Roadin' Member

ok thanks I see how it works. Could somebody help me out with the sizes though, Im trying to find prices and theyre all labeled in cubic feet, or by a number, but i dont know what mine is or what the number of the one i want is. for the oxygen, in this picture the tank i have now is the smallest one in this pic, without a cap, and i want the one thats next to biggest. anyone guess what cubic feet these are?
Old 01-30-2004, 12:20 AM   #5
lame-o

actually yours is smaller than the one in the picture,
from smallest to largest in the picture is:
40cuft
80cuft
125cuft
275cuft
maybe 380cuft

yours is actually a 20cuft
and the acetylene is called a "MC" cylinder(10cuft)

You really have to talk to your local supplier but I can tell you how we do it!

Those 20 oxy and MC ace. are sold cylinders, you technically own them(but we exchange them for other cylinders and take you mt's)
now if you want to trade them in, you get about half of what they cost new( $35.00 credit for the oxy, $26 for the ace)
Any cylinder that we offer from there up, are lease only cylinders
the 80 is about $130 deposit
the 125 is about $140 deposit
so on and so on

You should always get the largest cylinders you can move around easily since the gas is almost the same since it is mainly labor you are paying for( ie $18 to fill a 20cuft, $25 to fill a 125 cu ft)

cylinders are VERY hard to keep track of, so unless you have a charge account there, son't expect to be able to just pick up any cylinder you need for the day or job or whatever and keep trading it in.
You will probably have to commit, in onw way or another, to the larger sizes

Oh yeah, be aware of anyone trying to "sell" you a cylinder larger than an 80cuft

It is a FEDERAL LAW that any cylinders with a company's name stamped in them(pretty much ALL since they want to keep track of them) it is THEIR PROPERTY

you can't bring me a BOC cylinder or an Airgas and expect an exchange. I cant ONLY exchange OUR cylinders

good luck

t
Old 01-31-2004, 10:18 PM   #6

Acytelen must be refilled out of the us becuse of the danger it poses.
And never transport thm laying down.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:38 AM   #7
lame-o

Quote: Originally Posted by S-10_Stewart
And never transport thm laying down.
Good point!

For a Bozo buck, do you know why?

t
Old 02-01-2004, 12:13 PM   #8
Off Roadin' Member

the acetone will shoot out in liquid form all over everything if you open the valve, isnt that why?
Old 02-01-2004, 12:29 PM   #9
lame-o

close enough!

it's in the mail

t
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.