The Family Dragger - Page 17 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

The Family Dragger

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Bodydroppin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #801
No Money Noma

User is: OffLine
Re: The Family Dragger

Damn that thing sits low. But I like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #802
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by V8Blaze
welding back in floors is soooooooooooooo much fun. the firewall is next on my list too.

What was the reason for putting those drain holes things back in the floor. I was thinking about welding them up on my first gen.
the hole i cut in the floor is for the shifter cable. it runs from the column, under the carpet and through the grommet that fits that cutout. The holes i cut in the sides of the cab are for the engine harness to go through exactly like stock. and i can use the stock grommets. i just have to drill 2 holes for each one to mount them.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:08 PM   #803
V8 with bags

oh, got ya. My first gen just has 4 of those things on the floor that were sealed over with a ton of sealer. And my fuse box comes through in a giant, getting crushed by my tire plastic box thing.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #804
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by V8Blaze
oh, got ya. My first gen just has 4 of those things on the floor that were sealed over with a ton of sealer. And my fuse box comes through in a giant, getting crushed by my tire plastic box thing.

I moved the plastic thing from on the driver side firewall to the side of the cab to avoid hitting the tire. on the passenger side, it was origionally on the side of the '95 cab.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #805
Deadlines are Overrated

I spent a couple hours tinkering with the front suspension trying to get an idea of where i'm going wrong. And i still don't get it. here's what i'm working with: 225/40/18(25.1" tall), stock spindles, 1 3/4" upper cup, SD arms, SS7 bags.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #806
Deadlines are Overrated

My issue is that after the truck lays out. i only have another 1/2" till the upper BJ binds. As it sits, i'd be ok with that. but my skid plate is still 1/2"-3/4" off the ground. and very shortly i plan on fixing that issue. i'm cutting the front section loose and re-doing the transition. In doing so, i think it will make my BJ's bind before the truck lays out. What i dont understand, is i thought there was more travel in the suspension. My SD lowers are not touching the frame yet either. Is everything correct and i'm just over thinking things? Or should i wait till i fix the front frame and see how things change?

Anyway....i chipped away alittle more at getting things done.
here's some pics of the driver side, bag installed and untucking at i think only 100psi.

and here's the filler to cap off the inside of the tub.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #807
No Money Noma

I dont have tubular arms so this may be completely irrelevant but when I did mine on all stock stuff I trimmed my upper cup to almost nothing and I had to go back on the frame where the tabs for the LCA are and trim that out a lot! I'd imagine the SD arms are made to clear that, especially with a tire height of only 25.1.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #808
22RET Powwwa inside

I have SD arms and had to trim that piece where control arm mounts so. But my tires are 27.6ish
Old 04-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #809

I have SD arms with PP ball joints and beltch drop spindles. When I lay out my upper ballpoints is maxed out, it makes it hard to turn the steering wheel. I didn't have this issue when I had to shims in the uppers but I had positive camber at lift so had to do shims.

I would get the front cross member/ skid plate area fixed first.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #810
Deadlines are Overrated

Another day, another filler piece......uuuugh.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #811

Almost done. What's the plan for paint and body on that firewall? I am using flap disk on most and cut off wheels to smooth welds in joints. Fiber bondo after that.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:02 AM   #812
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by nfamus10
Almost done. What's the plan for paint and body on that firewall? I am using flap disk on most and cut off wheels to smooth welds in joints. Fiber bondo after that.
I'm going to smooth things out as much as possible, Prime it, then raptor line the whole engine bay. I did it on my bodied first gen and I liked how it came out. It had the textured look I wanted, easy to clean, held up to rocks, and any little pin hole I missed with seam sealer it will seal. It's also only a few hours to prep instead of days doing tons of body work.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #813

Good plan. I may talk to Brandon about going that route.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #814
Deadlines are Overrated

This was my 1st gen that i raptor lined the firewall and the inner fenders. it was textured, but didn't look like the roll on stuff.
i wanted something that looked like sandpaper i guess.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #815
22RET Powwwa inside

That's also what I did. Worked great!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:43 AM   #816
Deadlines are Overrated

no real special updates. i've basically just been welding all the filler pieces on the cab. taking FOREVER!!!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #817

One piece at a time is how I did it. That was a long week.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #818
Deadlines are Overrated

3 solid hours of welding led to this

I also tried seam sealing the wiper cowl. i'm gonna let it set before i try putting a hose on it.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:31 AM   #819

I'm gonna pass you up if you don't get some damn work done!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #820

Hah. Care to start a wager....looks good dude. Now I have to paint the floor and seam seal it tonight.....motivation.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #821
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by AaronK
I'm gonna pass you up if you don't get some damn work done!

haha. I'm definitely trying. just sucks that i only get about 6-8 hours to work on it over the course of a week. i got 3 hours today while my little guy's at school. i'm gonna try and get the whole floor fully welded, the wiper cowl water tight, and the welds on the firewall smoothed out.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #822
Deadlines are Overrated

yesterday i got the whole floor welded up except for 1 last filler piece i have to make. as i've been welding the floor i've been putting a coat of paint on it and seam sealling so about 3/4 of the floor is seam sealed. I found a couple of pin holes in the wiper cowl so i added some sealer and i'll give that a test tonight when i get home from work. Cab is soooo close to being done.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:30 AM   #823

Hell yeah. It's a good feeling when you finish the cab. Then it's wiring time!
Old 05-15-2015, 03:06 AM   #824

I got a question if anyone can answer it I have a first GEN GMC s15 that I have plans on bagging and I have a chance to get a second GEN frame not exactly sure what year both are extended cab but the frame is already c notched and fourlinked and has bag plates front and back does anyone know if I can swap my first GEN body to the second GEN frame without doing too much modification or will it bolt Right up
Old 05-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #825

Think it bolts right up. Way to jump right in fella. Hah. My recommendation is lots of pics and lots of ziplock bags so you don't loose anything. Read a lot on here first.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #826
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by Spaz
I got a question if anyone can answer it I have a first GEN GMC s15 that I have plans on bagging and I have a chance to get a second GEN frame not exactly sure what year both are extended cab but the frame is already c notched and fourlinked and has bag plates front and back does anyone know if I can swap my first GEN body to the second GEN frame without doing too much modification or will it bolt Right up
I would think that the body mount placements are a little different. But I'm not 100% sure. Part of me wants to think you can bolt the 1st gen cab right on though.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #827
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by AaronK
Hell yeah. It's a good feeling when you finish the cab. Then it's wiring time!
Yeah it is!!! So close I can taste it. Trying not to get too excited that I rush things and sacrifice quality over speed. Might pop the cab off this weekend if things work out. At the very least I want my table built.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #828
Independent

If you can pick up the frame for a decent price, or even borrow it, I would so go for it. A lot of the hard work would be done for you. As long as they did a decent job of it. I think everything matches up too.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #829
22RET Powwwa inside

The only difference in 1st to 2nd gen I know of is the frame horns.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #830

yes only difference is the frame horns. Everything else lines up. The spare tire cross member is different too but that doesn't matter.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #831
Deadlines are Overrated

cab floor is D O N E!!!!!! yesterday, I started grinding all the welds on the firewall and building my frame table. My plan is to have the cab off sat. night or on memorial day.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #832
Deadlines are Overrated

What are different ways you guys pulled the cab off your frames?(Aaron you keep quiet Mr. i have a lift) my plan is to lay the truck out, while the cab stays in the air. then i'll strip the front suspension and roll the frame out from underneath. i was thinking cinderblocks, jackstands, sawhorses. but i want something that's going to support the weight and not crush my non existent rockers. I have 2"x6"x8' pieces of wood to run front to back, but i dont trust a cinderblock standing up to be sturdy enough. unless i just bought 8 cinderblocks and stacked them on their sides.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #833
No Money Noma

I used an engine hoist with two heavy duty straps that crossed through the cab and a 3rd strap to help keep it level. I blocked my frame just high enough to get the legs of the hoist underneath of it. Once I jacked the cab up and got it off, I ran a couple 2x4's across the cab mounts and set that on some furniture dolly's. I'm not sure how well that will work with a long cab but it did good for mine. There's a picture of it on my thread on the last page if you want to see it.

If you do look at the picture you'll see how it's leaning forward really far. If I would have snugged that blue strap up before I started it would have helped keep it a lot more level.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #834
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by Laydout'noma
I used an engine hoist with two heavy duty straps that crossed through the cab and a 3rd strap to help keep it level. I blocked my frame just high enough to get the legs of the hoist underneath of it. Once I jacked the cab up and got it off, I ran a couple 2x4's across the cab mounts and set that on some furniture dolly's. I'm not sure how well that will work with a long cab but it did good for mine. There's a picture of it on my thread on the last page if you want to see it.

If you do look at the picture you'll see how it's leaning forward really far. If I would have snugged that blue strap up before I started it would have helped keep it a lot more level.
i like that idea. it might be a pain manuvering(sp) the cab around my driveway. but that might work also. i have 2 dolly's, but i'd rather set the cab on cinder blocks laid on their side with a 2x6 going under the doors. but it seams like an easier way of doing it.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:01 PM   #835
No Money Noma

It worked out really well for me and a few of my buddies have done it that same way (thats where I learned it from). But yeah I bet moving it in a driveway will be a pain.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #836
Deadlines are Overrated

got the table almost done yesterday. the cross beams are just layed on there to get an idea what it'll look like.
today i'll clean off the orange where each beam will go and weld them down.
the cross beams aren't gonna be spaced evenly because i'm making sure that the first one is under the skid plate so when i swing it down it has something to sit on.
then i'll space them going off the first one...not the overall length of the table.

yes it's crued, basic, and unorthodox......but it's dead level front to back and side to side. should suit me just fine. even brought a few backhalf jobs my way.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #837

Cool. Side jobs are good for the project funds dept.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #838

How wide is your table?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #839
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by flawlessfab
How wide is your table?
5 ft wide. Just wider than the cab.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #840

Lol side jobs keep me motivate. If all I ever did was my own stuff I'd would have given up years ago!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #841

Quote: Originally Posted by wirrrey21
5 ft wide. Just wider than the cab.
I regret not making mine wider
Hmmmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.