The Family Dragger - Page 13 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

The Family Dragger

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Bodydroppin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #601
Deadlines are Overrated

User is: OffLine
Re: The Family Dragger

bed still sags.......not happy. added 2 braces on each side also. F$cking rediculous.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #602

shim? Just weight bends the frame? fish plates?
Old 10-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #603
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by nfamus10
shim? Just weight bends the frame? fish plates?
Fish plates are my last option. I'll try and snap some pics. But it's flexing where the mandrel bends are.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #604

bed only sags or it flexs too?

I didn't see how it could not flex with just the bend of the backhalf, but with your reinforcement, it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Fish plate won't do much after the reinforcement brace.

How much does it flex?
Old 10-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #605

THIS thing is HARD!!! Those wheels are just buried in those fenders!!! I LOVE IT!!! Anything you may need let us know!!!!! Keep up the rad work!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #606
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by maxpat82
bed only sags or it flexs too?

I didn't see how it could not flex with just the bend of the backhalf, but with your reinforcement, it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Fish plate won't do much after the reinforcement brace.

How much does it flex?
The frame actually flexes. when the truck airs up it's fine. but when it's layed out the gap between the bed and the cab opens. And i know it's not the bed sagging. after adding the braces, it flexes less, but it still does it alittle and that's not acceptable. with limited space under the cab my only option might be adding plates to the inside and outside of the frame.

So tomorrow is a cool halloween show that our club is going to and my buddy was nice enough to through my truck on his trailer. the trailer is kinda overkill but it looks cool on it!!!

after looking at the pics. i'm almost thinking about leaving the bumper area open. maybe adding some curved pieces from the side up to the tailgate. almost like a curved gusset. Not sure yet. i'll see how it looks once there's a gas tank sitting back there.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #607
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by Jason@Gauge
THIS thing is HARD!!! Those wheels are just buried in those fenders!!! I LOVE IT!!! Anything you may need let us know!!!!! Keep up the rad work!
thanks bro. i still need plenty of stuff. i'll look you guys up if you have what i need.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #608

My frame flexed right behind the cab too. I added a 1.5" .25 wall DOM pipe with a 45*bend in it. Welded it on top of the frame right next to the rear cab mount and up to the front axle notch piece. Would use a 90* bend too and run it lower if your trying to save some bed depth. i got the idea from Cbennet on his ext cab long bed build. He did the 90* bend though and didn't run it as high up. Took most the flex out. Only time my bed gap changes is when I jack the truck up by the rear of the frame rail but it still only changes less that 1/4". Stays the same when laid out and full locked up.

Not sure if the fish plates or plated sides will help, it needs some kind of brace to stop it form flexing with that long of a span.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #609

Oh ya truck looks sick on the trailer!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #610

Thing is bad ass

I sense a photoshoot coming if we ever hit the same show!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #611
Deadlines are Overrated

alittle better picture

Old 10-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #612
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by mhilt13
My frame flexed right behind the cab too. I added a 1.5" .25 wall DOM pipe with a 45*bend in it. Welded it on top of the frame right next to the rear cab mount and up to the front axle notch piece. Would use a 90* bend too and run it lower if your trying to save some bed depth. i got the idea from Cbennet on his ext cab long bed build. He did the 90* bend though and didn't run it as high up. Took most the flex out. Only time my bed gap changes is when I jack the truck up by the rear of the frame rail but it still only changes less that 1/4". Stays the same when laid out and full locked up.

Not sure if the fish plates or plated sides will help, it needs some kind of brace to stop it form flexing with that long of a span.

The bracing that i added was as big of a piece i could add. the design of the rear rails is limiting my space and options. the bend that goes up is right behind the rear cab mount. so the bend is real tight to the underside of the cab. i barely had enough space for the brace i put in there.

I'll try to throw up some pics later. you'll get a better idea of the limited space i'm talking about.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #613
Deadlines are Overrated

I'm sorry, i was wrong. the rear cab mount is actually in the middle of the bend. So you can only imagine how little space i have. When my buddy trailers the truck back later, i'm going to crawl under and we're gonna try to figure out exactly where it's flexing. the trailer's got an open center section so i can get right in there. the bracing i added did help alittle.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #614
Deadlines are Overrated

some pics from the show yesterday

and here's Dagreen's Camaro after some bad peer pressure and a spider gear on it's way out....lmao.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #615
Deadlines are Overrated

Here's some trucks from another local Club, Creative Style.

This is the inside of the Yota. alittle too flashy for my style, but still alot of craftmanship went into it.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #616
Deadlines are Overrated

So i learned a few little issues with the truck trying to get it ready and on a trailer for this show. One is relatively simple. And the other sucks a$$.

1) because i used aftermarket body bushings for the rad support that are signifigantly smaller than stock......my bumper cover wont fit between the grill and the bumper bracket. Relatively simple fix, i'll just use 1 or 2 washer's to space up the rad support and i'll be good. This should also fix an issue i was having with the fender->cab gap. It was bigger at the top and tight at the bottom, which coincides with the rad being too low and pulling the front of the fenders down.

2) I can't make a full turn with these MMW budget upper arms. at about half turn the rim touches. It was an issue i kind of new about, but wasn't going to know how bad it was till the actual rims were on the truck and i turned the wheel. It's 100% my fault, not MMW. I bought their budget arms. It states that these arms need to be used with drop spindles. but i am using them with stock spindles to get the lift i need. I was hoping i could get away with it, but i see now that i can't. So now i need to swap new uppers on and i'm not sure which ones. A buddy of mine has Chassis tech upper arms he's using to moch up his first gen that he said he'd swap with me. I had Art arms on my first gen and liked those. But i thought i remember guys using arms from Speedway Motors, i'm sure they worked out fine on bagged trucks but not if they worked on Bodied trucks.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #617
Time to finish my ^^

User is: Online

I have speedway uppers on my 1st gen they are awesome so far! Hell of a price too
I believe it's 2 rights I bought

Your truck is sick, also like the Orange 1st gen
Old 10-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #618
Deadlines are Overrated

What setup are you running with your speedway uppers? Rim size, width, BS? Stock spindles or drop spindles? I need upper arms I can run a stock spindle and 18x8" rims with a 4.5BS.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #619
Time to finish my ^^

Wheels are 22x9, I think 5.5 backspacing. I have bell tech drop spindles, And shocks

Oh and pro forge super travel ball joints
Old 10-29-2014, 07:52 AM   #620
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by stockfloordime
Wheels are 22x9, I think 5.5 backspacing. I have bell tech drop spindles, And shocks

Oh and pro forge super travel ball joints

hmmmmm.

I wish this wasn't such a pain in the balls. but then again i started this by buying the budget arms in the first place. well if my buddy's chassis tech arms don't work how i like them, i'll try the speedway uppers i guess.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #621
GETTING V8'ED

lol I knew you were going to post the pic of my car on the trailer
Old 10-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #622
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by dagreenmonster
lol I knew you were going to post the pic of my car on the trailer

I don't know how that got there.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #623

doens't the remaining of the bed sag come from the upper bend?

that bend works hard too since your bag are on the horizontal part. When layed out the rear of the frame flex down with the bed weight, but when aired up: the bags keep the weight up.

Adding brace to that upper bend is a must and should help as much as bracing the lower bend did.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #624
Deadlines are Overrated

Quote: Originally Posted by maxpat82
doens't the remaining of the bed sag come from the upper bend?

that bend works hard too since your bag are on the horizontal part. When layed out the rear of the frame flex down with the bed weight, but when aired up: the bags keep the weight up.

Adding brace to that upper bend is a must and should help as much as bracing the lower bend did.
I added a brace on top of the first bend and under the second. What I'll do next is plate the side of both to add more strength and hopefully put an end to this.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #625
Deadlines are Overrated

Added a few more floor pieces.

Also got a small package from rock auto.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #626

man its looking good
Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #627
needs a cheeseburger

do you have any pics of the bed sag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.