S-10 Forum banner

jdrinkard's sfbd attempt

19K views 250 replies 27 participants last post by  mhilt13 
#1 ·
I'm a fairly new member on this site, but I have kept up with it for some time now using it as a ref guide for many of the projects that I have worked on. I have been working on dimes for years now but this is my first attempt at a sfbd, and I am doing it on my personal truck.

I wanted to start a thread on it sooner but I have talked myself out of it everytime. I'm actually a few months into this project already, but just recently got enough free time and funding to get back to work on it.

I mainly wanted to make a thread on the build to try and get a little insight on things I need to do and also things I may miss doing along the way. I'm not the best fabricator by any means but I like to think that I get by with what tools and skills that I do have.

Any suggestions or questions are welcome, thats what I am looking for is some help along the way. Any negative input please keep to yourself as I do not care for negative opions of my work, insight on a better way however is what I am looking for sometimes.

I will post some pics of before the start and of me starting the project to get this caught up to where the build currently is. Thanks in advance for any help or advice offered

See less See more
#12 ·
it started out not being as extensive as it has turned out to be is why i didnt just run the rails all the way to the back half, when i got into it i wanted to make sure it would hold up if i decided to drop the LS in it later down the road.

however i did upgrade some of the linkage set up in the rear and did away with the bag over axle

#14 ·
You do really nice work.
What size are the new wheels? You should be able to sell off the xtreme body work really easy

#15 ·
Any negative input please keep to yourself as I do not care for negative opions of my work, insight on a better way however is what I am looking for sometimes.

Looks like it was built by a blind goat with parkinson's.

j/k Looks good. I really like the double rails and how the they're split but come together. I'm with gunther, what size are those wheels? They look huge.

#25 ·
you were looking for constructive criticism, will your hinged upper bag mount have any chance of allowing the bag to bellow the other way? one of my friends tried doing that and i told him it wouldn't work, second or third lift the bag bellowed the other way, ballooned then bubbled, brand new bag shot. you may want to make that a solid upper mount. i even started a thread on this for another tuck i saw.

#27 ·
Like retro said the rear lift bars don't need the pivot above the bag. It can cause the bag to bellow or fold in half kinda. Best to have fixed mounts for the bags not a mount the pivots. With the length of the tabs you have on the upper mount it doesn't look like it would allow it to happen though. Just a heads up.

For the link system are you ditching the FBI bolt on and building new?

#28 ·
The only reason I put a pivot in is because I didn't like the angle the bag sat at then it was fully inflated. I worried about it kicking out when I first assembled it but thus far it hasn't acted like it is going to go awkward on me but good catch, I may just cut the joint to remove a potential headache later.

As for now I think I'm gna keep the link set up. I don't in particularly like it but it works and hasn't gave me trouble yet, and I'm trying to keep it as simple as I can till I get all my stuff here and the truck drivable then I may try and change it down the road.

#29 ·
mount that link solid then you'll be golden, think about how the front bags bellow solid mounted. they are fine all the time.

O thats a fbi setup, sorry no offense to you but... take that thing off and beat the f*ck out of the pos that ran that company with it. if you don't want to, get me his info and i'll give you good money for it to do it to him. he'll get his one day from me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.