Clutch master Line replacement! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Clutch master Line replacement!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Bodydroppin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Audi Tech

User is: OffLine
Clutch master Line replacement!

So you want to relocate your clutch master cylinder but find the stock plastic line is holding you back?

Here’s a simple way around that which will allow you to swap over to a -3 line. I faced this problem after damaging my factory clutch line. I went to the dealership and they said they do not sell the line separately. I took this opportunity to research a fitting that would allow me to change over to an “AN” style fitting. I figured this would also be a great time to help others in their quest to relocate their clutch master for laying on big wheels and or body droppin. This set up cost me around $60

1. Time to locate the fittings. You’ll have to find these Russell fittings, part # 640281. They are labeled as, “Clutch fittings with quad rings: Chrysler/Jeep #3AN male flare”
(Note; I ordered these from Summit racing and spent $20.39 + handling. I had to wait about a month and a half as these fittings fittings were on back order. Through my research I’ve found others using these and others saying they are always on backorder, so PLAN AHEAD)

2. If you have an older style slave such as the one posted below you’ll be fine, and lucky since these are externally mounted. This slave is going on my 94 S10 4cyl. Here’s a new slave, roll pin and the Russell fitting.

3. Push the fitting in and you’ll need to push hard, maybe use a vise to just apply enough pressure to compress the rubber seal allowing you to press in the roll pin. I also added a cotter pin for extra safety so the roll pin can not work its way out. I’m sure this is not needed, but it won’t hurt.

4. Don’t have a externally mounted slave? Well you’ll need to pull the transmission to access your slave which contains the throw out bearing as well. These are surely an interesting unit. You’ll need to remove the slave unit with the 2 10mm bolts and remove the line. If you have trouble getting the line off, simply tap out the roll pin and remove the slave unit. Also use a pick to remove the rubber o-ring if it does not come out.

5. Here’s a comparison of the Russell fitting and the fitting that was in the slave unit.
(Note; I do not have a picture of the fitting in this slave since I’m not using this slave. I had it laying around and took it apart to compare and show the fittings are the same)

6. Now on to the clutch master cylinder. Just like the rest of the parts you’ll need to remove the stock roll pin and line. Make sure to use a small pick and remove the rubber o-ring as they seem to want to stay in.

7. Comparison between the Russell fitting and the stock line/fitting.

8. You’ll need to press the fitting into the clutch master enough to compress the rubber o-ring and press the roll pin in. Again I added a cotter pin to keep the roll pin safe.

9. So there you have it. You’ve pressed in both of your fittings and can now swap over to a -3 line.

10. There are companies such as Russell, Good Ridge, Earl’s, and Nitrous companies that offer pre-made lines to certain lengths with straight, 45* and 90* fittings or you can make your own as they supply -3 fittings and line. You’ll have to do some searching around. Try Summit Racing and Jegs for starters. They tend to carry a lot of these products.

I personally found a Russell line at Summit. Part # 658190 which is, “Univ Stnls Hose Asmbly -3AN 4Ft, 90* to straight.($27.99 from Summit Racing)

Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #2

Re: Clutch master Line replacement!

This needs to be a sticky. its very helpful even if your not body dropped. i know a lot of people's line gets effed up and then you have to buy a whole new set up just to get another line.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #3
forum idiot

woot!
Old 08-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #4
Audi Tech

I didn't know where to put this info. There was a thread in here a while back. I wrote it up as a how-to kinda thing. I know most people body dropping could use this as well as the baggin guys. Any mods, feel free to move it if needed.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
Trailors Are For Boats!

jeff pullin through again!!!
Old 08-10-2008, 12:06 AM   #6

that helps me out so much. i moved my clutch under my dash and have been tryin to figure out what to do for a line. too bad for me though mine is a 96, so I guess i'll be pullin the tranny. great post
Old 08-10-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Audi Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by idropem96
that helps me out so much. i moved my clutch under my dash and have been tryin to figure out what to do for a line. too bad for me though mine is a 96, so I guess i'll be pullin the tranny. great post
If you really think you'll be doing this, I suggest you go ahead and get the fittings ordered. Summit shows them in stock and I waited over a month for mine. Then at least you have them. Dropping the tranny isn't all that horrible. Gives you a reason to change tranny fluid and inspect the clutch as well as get some new fluid through the clutch hydrolics.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Oh So Low

bad ass mod, i melted the plastic line after i put my headder on, and now that i have the one tied back it seems like the lines pinched, a deffinate must....
Old 08-10-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
FooldU

i have a 99 4-cyl...i havent been under my truck in a long time, but if im not mistaken, it has an external slave, correct? i would do anything not to have to pull that transmission
Old 08-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
Afterhours Admin

good info indeed, but if you have a hose shop local, you can bring them the stock fittings and they can crimp on a stainless braided line. you would have to cut the plastic off them, underneath is just a barb fitting like any other.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
Audi Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by AVTekk
good info indeed, but if you have a hose shop local, you can bring them the stock fittings and they can crimp on a stainless braided line. you would have to cut the plastic off them, underneath is just a barb fitting like any other.
I thought about that but I some how messed one of the fittings up so I decided to look into this.

NikeCheck246- Most likely you have the newer style. That one I pictured was off a 97 4cyl tranny.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
Dump em' Out

El Heffe Watson, have i told you lately....that i love you?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
V going 4 door!

most useful thread ive seen in here for months!!!! This is extremely helpful for alot of us! Love the idea of going to a braided line with AN fittings on it!
Old 08-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #14
stone the crow...

Nice write up, I too have just used hydraulic hose and hose clamps. It worked out fine, you just have to reuse the stock fittings and get a hose thats the same size of ID as the fittings.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
Audi Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by 98layinframe
most useful thread ive seen in here for months!!!! This is extremely helpful for alot of us! Love the idea of going to a braided line with AN fittings on it!
Thanks. There was a thread a while back and I had seen these fittings while searching around. I ran into a problem with my line and decided to try it. Sure enough it worked great.

I agree as well to reusing the stock fittings and taking it to a hydrolic hose shop for some new line or something crimped onto those.

Its all about options and what will be easier for each application and person.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #16

Quote: Originally Posted by NikeCheck246
i have a 99 4-cyl...i havent been under my truck in a long time, but if im not mistaken, it has an external slave, correct? i would do anything not to have to pull that transmission
i have a '98 4 cyl. and it has the one on the transmission shaft. it looks weird as hell. i was like, where the hells the slave cylinder.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #17
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

hell frickin yea
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #18
SLASH - S.I.C. St. Louis

Quote: Originally Posted by jeffery_843
i have a '98 4 cyl. and it has the one on the transmission shaft. it looks weird as hell. i was like, where the hells the slave cylinder.
the fitting on the end of the 98+ clutch line is similar to a fuel line connector... I know my buddy has a Summit Part # that will work with a -3an hose for this exact conversion
Old 08-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #19
~~<<' DRIVEN '>>~~

Everyone Rep this man!

Don't forget the 'Rate me ' feature.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #20
Masshole

thanks jeff, great info!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #21
Audi Tech

I started looking into some things. On the newer style slave thats mounted inside the tranny. The Gold tube appears to be some kind of check valve and or orfice. Theres no way I can test if this works. In my searching I haven't found any info reguarding this. LS1 and LT1 guys were doing these types of set ups and I do believe they have a similar slave. I have no idea if eliminateing this part will cause issues. If I had extra time, I'd rip down my tranny on my other truck and try. But way too many projects

Some other info I've found is a company called, www.mcleodind.com lists some fittings that are similar to the Russell, but bigger and or 90*. They list these 3 which I've referenced from another forum,
139026 ROLL PIN FITTING MALE TO AN4 MALE STRAIGHT
139027 ROLL PIN FITTING MALE TO AN4 MALE ELBO
139028 ROLL PIN FITTING MALE TO AN3 MALE ELBO

The last part number should be a 90 which could be helpful for those needing a tight bend off the master.

The 2 part numbers above were listed in a forum and this picture was added.
(Picture taken from this thread, http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606483)

These 2 fittings use -4 line. BUT were said to cost $45 EACH!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #22
I'll Miss Ya Red!!!

Wow! Thanks man! My slave was getting really shady as of late. May hav eto order these now and get a head start on the rebuild!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #23
ohhhh yeahhhhh

i went thru 3 or 4 of those damn plastic lines, and Racerx10 is right, GM doesnt sell the plastic line by itself, you gotta buy a whole new clutch amster cyylinder which is 150 i believe. im def gonna have to invest in this cause im still skeptical about the damn line melting from the exhaust heat. even after i wrapped the exhaust and the clutch line in header wrap. great write up thanks a bunch
Old 10-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #24
The way of all flesh

^^^^^i have never melted my clutch line, even when i ran an open exhaust manifold
Old 10-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #25

I recently replaced my slave cylinder. I couldnt get the transmission to line back up so I had to pull the motor bolt it together and slide them both back in . I really dont want to do that again. i got everything back together truck running pushed it out into the driveway to bleed the clutch and when i was pushing the piece back in where it seperates the damn thing broke. is there anyway I can get that pin out with out pulling everything back out again. any info would help alot i cant seem to get the right angle with anything to get it out. I was thinkming of just putting a coter pin in there to hold the new cylinder in. thanks
Old 10-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #26
Audi Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by shautgun
I recently replaced my slave cylinder. I couldnt get the transmission to line back up so I had to pull the motor bolt it together and slide them both back in . I really dont want to do that again. i got everything back together truck running pushed it out into the driveway to bleed the clutch and when i was pushing the piece back in where it seperates the damn thing broke. is there anyway I can get that pin out with out pulling everything back out again. any info would help alot i cant seem to get the right angle with anything to get it out. I was thinkming of just putting a coter pin in there to hold the new cylinder in. thanks
Theres no way to get in there unless you have the transmission out. As far as the alignment going back up, one thing I found was theres a "pinch" weld that hangs below the firewall into the tranny tunnel that can really mess with you getting the transmission up. Lower the engine a bit and try to get the tranny angle to match. Not sure what you're using to do all of this? By lifting or using a jack.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #27
ITS NOT EASY BEING EASY

def great info here.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:06 PM   #28

can anyone explain to me how to take the quick disconnect for the slave cylinder off? I have a 1996 2.2L
Old 10-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #29
Audi Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by idropem96
can anyone explain to me how to take the quick disconnect for the slave cylinder off? I have a 1996 2.2L
From the last time I tried, there is a plastic sleeve that needs to get pushed in towards the slave evenly. Its like a big push to connect fitting. Basically a huge pain. If you're removing the tranny, I'd just remove the master and let it all come down as 1 and remove it then.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #30
FooldU

somebody help me out here...i went to my local parker store and they told me there was no way they can do it. whats up with that?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #31

nice very nice
Old 12-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #32
ohhhh yeahhhhh

Quote: Originally Posted by J.Cakes
^^^^^i have never melted my clutch line, even when i ran an open exhaust manifold

i believe mine melted because there was a tear in the stock flex pipe, from dragging with the stock y pipe, and it blew alot of hot air on the plastic line. heat vs plastic= no bueno
Old 12-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #33

This kicks ass I have been looking for this answer for some time.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:42 AM   #34
Audi Tech

Glad some people are finding this useful. With the set up I posted using the line with the 90* bend in it, it does hang down pretty far. I was looking around and came across a fitting that may be a bit tigher and allow you to use straight setctions of line
Russell Fitting 614503 which runs around $25 is a Low Profile female to female 90* -3 AN fitting.

Like I mentioned these parts can add up quick in price but I feel there are certain things you may want to spend a little more on for less headaches.

With more searching I'm sure there could be some other fittings out there, maybe even cheaper. Feel free to post in here if you come across any.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #35

Quote: Originally Posted by RacerXS10
Glad some people are finding this useful. With the set up I posted using the line with the 90* bend in it, it does hang down pretty far. I was looking around and came across a fitting that may be a bit tigher and allow you to use straight setctions of line
Russell Fitting 614503 which runs around $25 is a Low Profile female to female 90* -3 AN fitting.

Like I mentioned these parts can add up quick in price but I feel there are certain things you may want to spend a little more on for less headaches.

With more searching I'm sure there could be some other fittings out there, maybe even cheaper. Feel free to post in here if you come across any.
Agreed, Less headaches the better.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #36
S10 Nick

ok so ive been having problems with my master cylinder leaking right out from the fitting so looking into this anyone done this with the internal slave does the check valve on the stock line cause any problems (removing it)
Old 02-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #37
Audi Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by MajesticDime
ok so ive been having problems with my master cylinder leaking right out from the fitting so looking into this anyone done this with the internal slave does the check valve on the stock line cause any problems (removing it)
From what I've gathered a few F-body guys have removed them with no ill seen issues. I'd love to try it just for the heck of it but winter sucks.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #38

does anyone have a link to a clutch relocation for a 94 s-10 with a 2.2? ive searched and couldnt find anything
Old 08-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #39

Thumbs up Re: Clutch master Line replacement!

Hey RacerXS10,
You are the man! This is GREAT stuff. I'm pulling my clutch slave back out and going to re-do it following your info. Your instructions and pictures are tops. All threads should be like this. Please don't stop, keep it coming. Thanks a million.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #40
Audi Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by Randy'sRide
Hey RacerXS10,
You are the man! This is GREAT stuff. I'm pulling my clutch slave back out and going to re-do it following your info. Your instructions and pictures are tops. All threads should be like this. Please don't stop, keep it coming. Thanks a million.
Good luck. Hope it all works out for ya.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #41

Great info! I just replaced my slave cylinder, and i have to replace the fitting going into it, but i hate the style fitting it is and that plastic line. so i wanted to see what my options were,

clean simple upgrade, i dig it.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #42

Great info. Im def gonna do something like this
Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #43
tom tucker

dont mean to dig up old threads even tho its a sticky but i though id lend my 2cents, i just called and orderd my fittings and line, and summitt told me about a line that is the same thing just has tephlon insides all the way threw unlike the russle line above that is only tephlon inside on the gass side,(that is a nitrus/fuel line) wich will wear away and make the line expand and the line the sold me is a little more heavy duty and cost about $20 more but will not expand under pressure over time as this line is made for clutch applications. just thought id let you guys know, and this thread was and is a life saver!!! woot woot!!! thanks racerxs10!! saved my truck
Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #44
Audi Tech

Quote: Originally Posted by tuknlug
dont mean to dig up old threads even tho its a sticky but i though id lend my 2cents, i just called and orderd my fittings and line, and summitt told me about a line that is the same thing just has tephlon insides all the way threw unlike the russle line above that is only tephlon inside on the gass side,(that is a nitrus/fuel line) wich will wear away and make the line expand and the line the sold me is a little more heavy duty and cost about $20 more but will not expand under pressure over time as this line is made for clutch applications. just thought id let you guys know, and this thread was and is a life saver!!! woot woot!!! thanks racerxs10!! saved my truck
Very good information man. I wasn't really aware of that when I did this. I'll knock on wood the line holds up Do you have a part number for the line you ordered? Adding to these threads help out people all the time. Feel free to post up which line you got.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #45
DELIBERATE DESIGNS

Have fun gettin these fittings. I placed my order on summit at the beginning of february and I have been getting mailed notification cards that they are still on backorder.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 PM   #46

lol i have an extra set of fittings at my house, took 4 months to get here from one supplier and 3 weeks from summit
Old 03-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #47
DELIBERATE DESIGNS

I just checked my summit account, they FINALLY shipped today.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 AM   #48

haha good stuff man! i doubt ill ever sell my spare set just incase. dont feel like waiting forever if i ever need them again
Old 03-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #49
Audi Tech

Damn, some things don't change. I waited a month and a half for mine. They must make a couple at a time.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #50
tom tucker

Yeah I have a part nimber ill have to dig it up but ill get it, the guy who took my order even gave me a free union couse this one only comes in 27" lengths so that was pritty cool, and he explained why the main fitting is always on bakorder, its becouse russle hassnt meet with the times yet and only makes a couple at a time and only like once every couple months, it suxs but I ordered mine at the rite time only took like 2 weeks to get mine, just got today and ordered wen I posted on this thread last!! But the summit guy said a lot of people orderd that part and to hurry and get my name on it, I thought to myself, alota clutches cettn relocated off the forum haha! Ill get that part # and post up tonight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.