building frame table/jig help - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

building frame table/jig help

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Suspension Tech > Bodydroppin' It
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
building frame table/jig help

i have been doing some research on here to try and find the best,easiest, and cheapest way to build a frame table/jig. i have found a few things but i am not sure i am understanding most of it. can someone give me a decent break down on what is needed to make the table, and the best way to do the correct measurements of doing the actual body drops.....
Old 09-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
metal work at its finest

Re: building frame table/jig help

get a couple 20 foot sticks of 2x3x1/4 witch isnt very cheep, u wanna make every thing square and level where all the cross bars meet. also put sum kind of adjustable feet for each leg so you can level the table on a uneven surface, hope this helps a little, mine is 18 ft long 5 ft high and 4 ft wide with a brace every 2 feet..
Old 09-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #3

I built my frame table/jig from 3x3 10 gauge with 8 legs and adjusters on the floor and 7 crossbars in it and have like 400 into it minus welding and labor cutting it up.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
S - I - C

I built a frame table out of some left over 6x8s, 2x4s, and sheets of plywood. Worked perfectly, built the frame in a day, and didn't cost anything.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Inferno Fab

User is: Online

my table is made from wood. cost effective unless you are going to be doing ultiple frames on it. I built 2 on it and now it needs a new top. the frame i made from 2x6's and the legs are 4x4's its only 12" off the ground. I would suggest making sure that your engine hoist will roll under your table bc you will need it. That's the biggest problem Ive ran into with mine. Oh and to hold it together, we used Lag Bolts. table is plenty strong..

Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
Under construction

Quote: Originally Posted by flnole78
my table is made from wood. cost effective unless you are going to be doing ultiple frames on it. I built 2 on it and now it needs a new top. the frame i made from 2x6's and the legs are 4x4's its only 12" off the ground. I would suggest making sure that your engine hoist will roll under your table bc you will need it. That's the biggest problem Ive ran into with mine. Oh and to hold it together, we used Lag Bolts. table is plenty strong..
What is the spacing on your 2x6's? I am thinking of build a wood one, since I will only use it a few times.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
V going 4 door!

I made mine out of 2x4" steel I beams. You want the material you use for the table to be stronger then what your building the frame out of.

Like flnole78 said, make sure you build the table up off the ground as it will make storing things under the table possible, it will be much easier on your legs and back to not be sitting on the ground the entire build, and most importantly the engine hoist will fit under the table. I didnt do this on mine and severely regret it on the current build, the table will have legs added for the next build for sure.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Inferno Fab

User is: Online

Quote: Originally Posted by 98low4x4blazer
What is the spacing on your 2x6's? I am thinking of build a wood one, since I will only use it a few times.
I want to say they are 18" apart for the 4 long ones. then there are ones that run perpendicular to those under the MDF and they are around 12-16" apart spaced evenly. One other thing I wouldn't do is leave the openings like I did on mine. They are more of a paint to work around than they help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.