Gimp users!!!! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Gimp users!!!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > OT Forums > Photoshopping & Resizing
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
registered smartass

User is: OffLine
Gimp users!!!!

post all your gimp questions in here instead of posting 50 million help me's....

paint
okay heres the deal...in the knock off photoshop and gimp the painting systems are less sensitive, personally i think gimps is better tho....you can use two methods to paint a car....hue saturation, and color balance...colorize works too but is too saturating to do anything with.....

first off, when painting, make a new layer so you can go back to the original if you screw up and fix something...and you can play around with the layer types to creat cool paint jobs....
then select the area you wanna paint with the lasso tool

when you use the hue/saturation try and lower the sat sometimes...too high sat will pixelate it...but also make the colors pop more sometimes..also make sure to use the 1600x1200 pictures so its harder to pixelize them, then do everything normal and resize to 800x 600....f

or color balancing, try desaturating first, then colorbalancing...don't use colorize tho...after color balancing you can go back and use hue/sat to get what you want, but sometimes you just can't make a certain pain job from a certain paint job

then you can use levels to darken, lighten, and make flat paint jobs....and after awhile of playing around sometimes be able to chrome bumpers and things through use of layers

lowering specifialy for gimp will be posted soon along with other gimp specifics
Old 04-12-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
HAND MADE

Re: Gimp users!!!!

Well, I was trying to type how to "shave" items like emblems & handles, etc, but I'm not to good at explaining. Atleast not in an understandable way.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
registered smartass

already on it dude but if you want go ahead
Old 04-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
registered smartass

lowering:
you need to select more than just the truck, like everything above the wheels, including the background, like so

then click shift+ctrl+L and pull it lower

also when selecting the rest of the background, try to make it to where you'll pull it down, and the asphault will kinda line up, or grass, water whatever the background is....after doing that you'll see white gaps behind the tires, select them with the lasso, and use the blur tool to drag the black area around it into the white area, or atleast this is my method, you can use many others
Old 04-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
registered smartass

shaving:

this is really easy....outline whatever you wanna shave, with the lasso of course, and vlure the surrounding area into...or select an area close to it with lasso, copy, and paste over door handle or whatever then blur out the outlines after anchoring...thats the method that most people use but on gimp i recomend the blur method
Old 04-12-2009, 04:08 AM   #6
registered smartass

rims:
on gimp this can be a little annoying...

use the circle select to select the new rims from your rim pix, copy and paste into you chop...use the perspective tool and resize tool to get the rim down to the angle and size you want...be sure to try to find rims allready close to the angle you need or you'll end up bluring out the rim when you angle it

note to mods, feel free to clean this thread up if unneccasry posts are mod but if stickied don't lock so that i can add further tutorials

Last edited by zack; 04-12-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #7
registered smartass

clear turn signals/tail lights:

simple...select light, adjust brightness/contrast so its kinda shiney, and go to colors-components-channel mixer and then select monochrome and preserve luminocity
Old 04-12-2009, 04:33 AM   #8
registered smartass

cowl hood:

okay this can be tricky depending on angle, lighting and desired result

select area that you think seems suitable to use for the front or side of the cowl depending on angle

copy and past at suitable location, like so

select gap area and blur surrounding shade into, selecting which shades to blur in depends on you desired result

note that every mention of blurring is using the smudge tool, i forgot the name and substituted blur
Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
ELTC

LMAO IT'S CALLED GIMP!!!!! so am I
Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Going up ^

Holy crap GIMP looks a hell of alot better than when I used it!

Back when I had it the thing looked so friggin plain and ugly but the one you have seems to be almost photoshop like. They must have really improved their user interface. Dayum. That was my biggest thing against gimp and it looks like they fixed it. woot.

Still PS is better
Old 04-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
HAND MADE

zack, I was wanting to explain the Copy & Paste method. I don't reccommend using the Smudge tool for shaving. You can with minimal problems, but it's just a longer process and more work.

If I knew how to get the images onhere from Gimp like you did above I'd show exactly how I do it.

Also, with the lowering, I Lasso just like you descrided, but instead of the Ctrl and all you're doing, I just Copy & Paste, then pull it down. It'll never have any white areas behind anything like this. But like you said, I' sure there's a few different ways to do these things.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
registered smartass

well the smudge thing just works best for me...except on real big things....and if you have a copied layer then using my method won't leave any white areas either
Old 04-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #13

Zack, How do you get the Layers "box" on the right like the tool box?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
registered smartass

windows-layers...that simple
Old 04-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #15
I drive

nice tutorial man. i have never had the pixelating problem,but im gonna give this a try.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #16
registered smartass

thanks bro..nut i'm not done with it yet
Old 04-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
Eric

So i downloaded Gimp a while ago and never actually used it all that often. I couldn't figure out to much with it.

these tips/pointers will help out a lot...thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 07:16 PM   #18
registered smartass

graphics:

ok there are two ways to make graphics

1. using the lasso or paths tool mark out a design on an area of your vehicle....once you have the desired design simply darken or chang the color and use diferent style layers to get your desired effect...this is more difficult but if enough time is taken will give you very original and better looking results

outline the paint job of your car, google an image type, say, a reaper...copy the reaper image, click paste into, and lower the opacity using the layer box to create an easier, also good looking paint job....an example of the number two style is the chevelle lowrider in my bored thread
Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #19
HAND MADE

zack, I need more explanation on the 2nd paint deal. "pasting images".

I can do 2 tones with a good pinstripe etc, but never figured out how folks were getting the graphic picture type designs on there, like the reaper in a few contest back, and tghe spider like CID has on the fullsize in his thread.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #20
registered smartass

gimme 20 or 30 mins and i'll have pix to help you with
Old 04-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #21
registered smartass

ok, copy the image you want from google
i seleceted a silver surfer

past it into a new blank chopping page and select the exact parts of the image you want, then copy it....
go to your car, select the area you wanna paste it into,

go to edit, and click paste into...

if its too big or small for your liking then resize it, copy it, and repaste it

then go to the layers menu, make the mode "overylay" or simply lower the opacity of the pasted image

then just anchor it
Old 04-14-2009, 12:46 AM   #22
registered smartass

metal flake paint:

first, duplicate the layer and lower the opacity of the top layer to 0%, select the second to top layer and select all the area you want to be like this....

then go to filters-noise-hsv

raise the holdness and value, but not too much just a little of each, then click okay...hit cntr+f until you get enough flake

now play with the level and the top layers opacity and until you get the desired result

note: this works best with blue, green and dark red
Old 04-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #23
registered smartass

deep dish wheels...
ever add a wheel and it just doesn't looke deep enough like this?

this is one of my favourite things to do that'll most likely be noticed when compared to one which was just slapped on....

first copy and paste your wheels like you normally would, but before you anchor them, copy and paste your angled wheel, and moved it over a little like so

then erase the outer edge just enough to reveal the original edge like so

now just paste again, move over, and erase like before, or leave it after the first time and you'll have rims with more depth and large lips
Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #24

So on the dark S10 that your doing the metal flake paint on I got a question. When I try to lasso out my body for paint then also shift+lasso the windows so they're excluded from the selection it never seems to work? any idea? Sorry if I didnt explain well enough.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #25
registered smartass

gimme a sec...

Last edited by zack; 04-14-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #26
registered smartass

duplicate the first layer 2x by hitting shift+cntrl+d twice...then outline the whole body after you lower the top layers opacity, select the second layer, do every thing like i said, thne after you finish, select the bottom layer, outline one window at a time, copy, and past to the top layer

if anyone has a request tutorial pm it to me and i'll post it up if i can

Last edited by zack; 04-14-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #27
AJ
I do renders!

you need to learn more yourself there zack before anymore tuts. just being real...haha
Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #28
registered smartass

oh i know...but why not share what i already know with the other gimp users while i'm learning...hell they can refine my techniques and figure out more shit
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #29
Automatic is crap.

Is there a hardness setting for the brush tool? I want to vary the fuzzyness of it but I can't find anything.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #30
registered smartass

click the little brush dynamics + symbol in the tool window
Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #31
Automatic is crap.

I found that but it's only for pressure, velocity and random. I was looking for a control for the fuzziness overall, if you get what I mean.

I found something similar by selecting the fuzzy brush tool and messing about with scale. It'll do

I only do terrible line drawings anyway but expect further questions. Cheers.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #32
Gawea

hey zack i got a question..whenever i try to change the color of a car or truck, the fill color is a lottt lighter than the actual color i chose. like for example, i wanted to see my truck with a dark green, but it ended up being lime no matter what color i picked..how would i change that? hope that makes sense. i can show you a pic of my truck i did when it was stock as an example
Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #33
Gawea

nevermind, i found that i can adjust the lightness from the colors->hue/saturation menu
great tuts btw, ive been at it nonstop for like 3 days lol
Old 05-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #34
registered smartass

thanks bro...and yeah if you're using hue/saturation you can adjust the lightness/darkness or the intensity by lowering the saturation or raising it...the same with colorize...also after you finish coloring an area before you deselect it try using the levels tool and adjusting the sliders to play with the darkness/tone
Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #35
selfmade__brandon

i cant figure it out lol im not smart
Old 12-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #36

to lower i use the laso to select, then push ctrl+shift+l but when i pull up or down it dont work?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #37
just another dime!!!!!

aAlright how would you go about two toneing. I am a complete newb and am trying to two tone my buddies truck as well as change the color of the rims.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #38
Sure why not.

I dunno if anyone has any experience with autocad or knows what dimensioning is but is there a way to do it in gimp... I made an image I need to take into a shop and get it turned into a decal that has to be a precise size as its an overlay or sorts... Basically I just need it to speak to me in inches and not pixels.

/\ use the lasso and just start at the taillight and draw the line out where you want the two tone then make sure in tool options its set to add and not just selection so you can do it multiple times until all the paint on the top of the truck is selected minus the windows, mirrors, etc... CTRL-C, CTRL-V, floating selection will be displayed in the layer manager right click it then make new layer highlight the new layer once its made. CTRL-A, Then I like to use colorize its the easiest tool until you get he hang of things or black and white can be done with saturation, light/dark. Then you can blur the edges with a small blur brush to big and it will look fuzzy. Tinting he windows always helps make it look a little less hacked too do the same thing to the windows make a new layer dark/lighten. When you done save as XCF as two different names one to keep all your layers and one to flatten, blur, and save as a jpeg.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #39
nope

nice explanation rhygin
Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #40
Sure why not.

Thanks lol you know how to dimension?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 AM   #41
nope

nope, not a clue what that is lol
Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #42
Sure why not.

Like if you drew a rectangle and wanted to know how long in inches one side of it was any idea how you might do that? Sorry lol.

This is what "dimensioning" is but this guy took real life and put it into gimp. I need to take from gimp and put into real life. On a side not that is a pretty strong rectangle and I am nearly certain he failed at measuring lol.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #43
nope

Lol maybe I'm just retarded, but I still dont get it
Old 09-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #44
Sure why not.

No big deal lol I'll just trial and error it maybe ill figure it out.

Basically its just like if your looking at a circle in GIMP you have no idea how big it is... It may be 4 inches on the screen but that may just be the zoom level or its relation to its size in pixels the same circle at the same zoom level would be larger on a larger monitor... Dimensions just let you know that this circle has a real diameter of 3 inches or something even if your zoomed in 10 times and its 30 inches wide because of the dimension you would know that if you print it at a 1:1 scale it will be 3 inches wide.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #45
AJ
I do renders!

Idk about Gimp but you can view the image dimensions in inches or pixels...or just use the on screen ruler.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #46
Sure why not.

That should be good enough for what I need I will just try that. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #47
nope

ah ok, I get it now
Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #48
Sure why not.

I figured it out (shift M) lol too easy... Then change the bottom corner to inches or whatever unit you want... I figured it out and went to kinko's here is what I was working on. Welder got burnt and parts discontinued.

Here is an example of what an actual dimensioning tool might do still no luck finding that but with measure you can just draw them yourself.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #49
AJ
I do renders!

cool, did everything line up good?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #50
Sure why not.

Yep, I went out there and lined it up I still have to put it on though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.