Winter Tires...I want the BEST - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Winter Tires...I want the BEST

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Winter Tires...I want the BEST

My sister has a 98 GMC Jimmy 4dr 4x4.

Last year she had these crappy Wintertrack tires...they were useless.

We're looking for the best absolute tires for the winter. I want them to sing down the road.

I use Kelly Wintermark on my S10 in Winter, but i dont see them for P235/75/r15

Anyone know of a tire so brutal they make babies cry at sight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2007, 10:55 PM   #2

Re: Winter Tires...I want the BEST

haha .... um i have goodyear wrangler RT/S ,,, i have a set on my jimmy and on the families truck ( 05 ford ranger) my dad plows with the truck .. and it handles fine,.. the have good traction in the snow and ur not all over the place .. and i have the 235 / 75 / r 15's on the jimmy .... so i know they have that size.. hope it helps ill see if i can get some pics or something
Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 PM   #3

stock pic i found online

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Goo...QQcmdZViewItem

theres a ebay link for a set not too far from either of us...
Old 10-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by 860gmc
haha .... um i have goodyear wrangler RT/S ,,,
Both the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred and Wrangler Silent Armor are FAR superior to the RT/S in every weather condition... and both are available in the 235/75r15 size. Both tires are rated as TRACTION DEVICES by the DOT... have the little mountain/snowflake icon on the sidewall, which means they qualify the same as a studded snow tire.

Highway use? No better tire than the TripleTred for hydroplane resistance, but the Wrangler is the better tire if you get off the highway and into the mushy/slimey stuff (the Wrangler Silent Armor comes with a 2 year tow-out policy, from Goodyear. You get stuck off-road? Goodyear will pay the bill to tow you out).
Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
KC0TRP

I know around here people have had some really good luck with Blizz-X (or however it is spelled) and with the Winterforce tires. The only problem with them is, if you run them in the summer time don't expect to get more than a year to two years out of them.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 AM   #6
Banned

Location: Levittown, PA-☆-NE Philly-☆-Trenton, NJ-☆Tha 19057 Bitches☆

Blizztech's (sp?)

I love mine...I consider them the best IMO

Last edited by SteveHH; 10-13-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:16 AM   #7
Banned

And they could make some babies cry...lol

DMZ-3's
Old 10-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #8

Would you think there's anything alot the LT line? Maybe a super Winter/Offroad tire?

She wants to get them studded as well. She runs them all winter till about April, then puts the summer tires back on (its a yearly ritual in Buffalo NY)
Old 10-13-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
wish i had bags

bridgestone blizzak's and michelin ice -x's are good, the ice x's are actually speed rated for use on highways too, but as others mentioned, if being used on dry roads (especially in non winter temps/conditions) dont expect ANY snow tire to last long or grip very well
Old 10-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
Banned

1 problem with studded tires around my way, there illegal.

Well just cause somethings illegal hasn't stopped me before...lol
Old 10-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #11
graduated!!!!

blizzacks > alaska winters FTW
Old 10-14-2007, 02:04 AM   #12
Sans S10

Oh come on, Buffalo winters aren't that bad. Yeah they get a lot of snow every now and then but the roads there are all flat. I had my '94 auto with one wheel peel up there for all of last year and in the winter it wasn't that bad. I didn't drive like an idiot, I waited until the roads were reasonable and dumped about 280lbs of weight in the bed of the truck. I did all of this with my regular tires (also I didn't have heat in my truck until April when I replaced my blower motor).
Old 10-14-2007, 02:52 AM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by drumset5994
My sister has a 98 GMC Jimmy 4dr 4x4.

Last year she had these crappy Wintertrack tires...they were useless.

We're looking for the best absolute tires for the winter. I want them to sing down the road.

I use Kelly Wintermark on my S10 in Winter, but i dont see them for P235/75/r15

Anyone know of a tire so brutal they make babies cry at sight?
I had Bridgestone Blizzak DM Z-2s (DM Z-3s are a little diff tread I believe) on my 1996 Blazer 4x4 4 dr and I NEVER EVER got stuck. It was stock height with stock size (235/75/15) and they never ever ever gave me trouble. I never actually had to use 4x4 unless I was TRYING to get stuck. Hands down, they're the best snow tire around. I've done some pretty stupid things in the snow and they've never let me down.

I'm buying them again this year for my 2000 Xtreme as a winter tire. I swapped the OLD worn out ones from my Blazer onto a set of 15" steelies for my 2wd Xtreme last winter and again, they got me out of ALOT of snow:

This was a level 3 (out of 3) winter storm in Ohio last year and I never got permenantly stuck while driving through 18+ inches of snow and 4'+ tall drifts. Remember, this is with a stock one-tire-fire differential in a stock height Xtreme.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #14
Banned

Lol nice pic...I had blizztechs on my grand am also the same year and never got stuck...

Old 10-21-2007, 03:23 AM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by Fannatick
Oh come on, Buffalo winters aren't that bad. Yeah they get a lot of snow every now and then but the roads there are all flat. I had my '94 auto with one wheel peel up there for all of last year and in the winter it wasn't that bad. I didn't drive like an idiot, I waited until the roads were reasonable and dumped about 280lbs of weight in the bed of the truck. I did all of this with my regular tires (also I didn't have heat in my truck until April when I replaced my blower motor).
I live in Wyoming County. Extremely elevated above Buffalo.

When Buffalo gets a foot, we get 3 feet.

There are times when my road, which yes, is still dirt, doesnt get plowed for days during a storm. Very hilly. Very treterous. We tell relatives to not come out from November to April. Its that bad.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #16
o come on

The michelin ice x ones are what i have they are good but i have never used them in the snow so i don't know how they work in it
Old 10-21-2007, 06:04 PM   #17
Rarely goes over 20mph

i would look into the blizz, my 4x4 dodge dakota would get stuck in winter when there was no loose snow on the roads, just packed snow, even with a stove and sand in the back, 4lo was useless, and they were "snow tires" got some blizz for them and ive never had to use 4wd, 4hi is broke anyways
Old 10-27-2007, 12:18 AM   #18
Banned

Blizzs' FTW
Old 12-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #19
Bagged

I had some winterforce on the s10 last winter. They were some good tires, I just need to get rid of them. They are 235 70 15 if you are interested. I have two of them. less than 5k on them
Old 12-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #20

Quote: Originally Posted by The Blown Blazer
I swapped the OLD worn out ones from my Blazer onto a set of 15" steelies for my 2wd Xtreme last winter and again, they got me out of ALOT of snow:

This was a level 3 (out of 3) winter storm in Ohio last year and I never got permenantly stuck while driving through 18+ inches of snow and 4'+ tall drifts. Remember, this is with a stock one-tire-fire differential in a stock height Xtreme.

That's not alot of snow.....

The first pic is my Mustang buried, and in the second is my S10 Blazer on the left...... Damn Massacusetts winters......

Old 12-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #21
Low in Alaska

bridgestone blizzaks or toyo observe go2 is gonna be your best winter tire. i personally like the toyo better, since the siping goes all the way through the tread block. it also has a microbit and lamella crystal in the tread compound, which helps substantially....
Old 12-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #22
Low in Alaska

oh yeah, both of those are better than studded tires, but probably a little more spendy..
i have changed so many people's minds away from studded tires, you wouldn't believe... i shouldn't say "I" have, though..the tire changes people's minds. i just sell it..
Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #23

I had worn out winrterforce's on my 1 wheel wonder (2wd S10) last winter and did awesome. It would go thru about a foot of snow if you had some momentum. I also put about 270lbs of sandbags in the back. Once I get it on the road again (aint been licensed for a few months) I'm gonna get a pair of winterforces. BTW, they're made by bridgestone https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop...ce&season=Snow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.