S10 Blazer Xtreme C6 Z06 Corvette Brakes!! - Page 7 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

S10 Blazer Xtreme C6 Z06 Corvette Brakes!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 AM   #301
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

User is: OffLine
Re: S10 Blazer Xtreme C6 Z06 Corvette Brakes!!

Ya know, right now I wanna give you a big kiss.

Now, will I have to get a modified hub from the member on here that does them? I would assume so considering the hub was built into the S10 rotors, as the F-body rotors are just rotors.

Last edited by 01cherryreds10; 06-05-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #302
Molon Labe

http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=71837
Old 06-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #303
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

THANK YOU!!!! Just found the awnser I was looking for.

Quote: Originally Posted by ebmiller88
OK fellas, let's give a bit more info to you. Pics of the LS1 and C5 stock spindle specific setups are here: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/taram...ler72/my_photos

Both use a PBR dual piston aluminum caliper. The LS1s can fit inside a 16" wheel and are 12" x 1.25" thick. The C5s require at least a 17" wheel and are 12.75" x 1.25" thick. The calipers on these two setups will interchange with each other so you can "customize" them so to speak. I do know that you can fit a setup with a LS1 rotor and a C5 caliper (stronger of the two) inside a 16" wheel.

Now for the big one..The 13" Wilwood setup is seen here:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/taram...ler72/my_photos

This setup uses the ZQ8 Blazer/Envoy spindle with the one piece hub, a Wilwood 4 piston caliper, and 13" x 1.1" rotor. This will give you all the stopping power you'll ever need.

E-mail me for more info and questions..thanks!

Ed
Old 06-05-2008, 01:24 AM   #304
Professional Insultant

pretty cool to actually see some people serious about road course track running s-series.

Not sure how it applies: But every 4th of july here the rally car club holds races for its members. Usually it's just cones set around a huge parking lot, but if you're a member they allow pretty much any vehicle type in. Last year we watched a fully loaded Police Tahoe cruiser with a k-9 unit in the back run through the course, kinda proved to me I really shouldn't be worried about ditching one of the police trucks if I had too. other than that they had all sorts of vehicles, from stock 90's imprezas, lotus espirit, to fully rebuilt 69 camaros a chevy nomad and saw a modified caprice wagon.
That's just a large local club, but I've also heard times where they open the tracks to the public for a fee they'll let you run your vehicles on them. Letting them compete in a road rally is a different story, but I'm sure some of these trucks could find a way in.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #305
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by TokoDragon
pretty cool to actually see some people serious about road course track running s-series.

That's kind of the way I'm building my truck. The exception is, I won't be racing it on a course because I'm a very small guy, and I doubt I can keep up with the turns and pulling the wheel from left to right and vice versa so rapidly. I'm building my truck, so when someone gets in, they feel like it's not a truck, but a nice car. One that when/if they get to drive it, they actually want to keep driving it.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #306
Blue-X

Quote: Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer
No, that is just the fronts, why I said, into front brakes, lol. Rears will be about another $600.

$1900 > 1500
Yeah that package included the front and rear.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #307
s-series #2?

Quote: Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
That's kind of the way I'm building my truck. The exception is, I won't be racing it on a course because I'm a very small guy, and I doubt I can keep up with the turns and pulling the wheel from left to right and vice versa so rapidly. I'm building my truck, so when someone gets in, they feel like it's not a truck, but a nice car. One that when/if they get to drive it, they actually want to keep driving it.
thats the worst excuse ive ever heard on why to not race it on a course.....
Old 06-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #308

In regards to the overkill comment. There is a threshold for most things, that a certain amount is overkill.

Frankly, your ultimate stopping distance is determined by the coefficient of grip your truck has on the road. This depends on the coefficient of friction of both the surface you are on, and the surface of your tires.

Not to give a lesson in physics here, but fundamentally, if on dry pavement, you can stomp the brakes and induce ABS, or induce lockup for those without ABS, then you've exceeded the threshold of grip. Now, rotors and calipers are very simple. The caliper presses on the rotor, causing again a coefficient of grip, as determined by the friction, between the two surfaces.

When the grip of the rotor on the disc, exceedes the grip of the tire on the road, simply put, your wheel locks up, or goes into ABS.

Now, obviously the inertia and force of the truck as it travels forward, greatly effect the coefficients, but thats why brake bias is generally ~70% to the front.

In terms of Blazers, and S10's- they are not Mack trucks, nore are they even close to a full size. They do not require the amount of brake force provided by corvette setups.

It has nothing to do with traffic, if somebody cuts you off- frankly thats your reaction time, and how quickly your foot moves to the brake pedal. If you're a slow ass tool, then C6 brakes wont save you.

Now, conceededly larger setups avoid brake fade, and are more tolerant of temperature, but unless you're driving Laguna Seca in 110 degree weather all day long, you again don't require that capability of fade resistance.

I whole heartedly agree, that Bear and SSBC setups, even changing S10's to the blazer 2piston setup, will improve your stopping distance over stock, given you aren't running the narrow ass 205 stock front tires.

I also conceede that larger diameter rotors produce more rotational inertia, however the primary culprit of that rotational inertia is the 18+inch x 8.5+ inch wheel with the big ass spokes and thick rim edges.

All that said- if you are running an LS truck, or blazer as it may be, or maybe you have some really whacked mid engine twin turbo shitsubishi setup, and your passengers asses get hot from the exhaust manifolds, or maybe you've crammed in a 572 that hasnt sipped pump gas since it was installed- then perhaps, just maybe, you'd warrent a C6 setup for the performance aspect.

Maybe you really do circle track your truck, perhaps you're trying to compete in the truck series.

If the above were the case, I doubt you'd be running such heavy beefy setups. Unless you are very lucky and get to go around Bristol, and can actually break 100mph on the straights without going straight into the wall.

But by in large, most users of the forum, don't drive in a manner that requires such a setup, unless they live in LA... I hear the cops out there have pretty quick cars .

So- why do it.

A: Because you have the money.
B: Because you weren't an idiot, and got some nice open spoke design wheels.
C: Because you think stock stuff looks, and feels like poo.
D: Because you want to be the first Sonovette.

and perhaps the biggest reason of all:

E: BECAUSE YOU CAN.

Now my personal take- since you all probably think Im jealous,
frankly, I'd love to do this setup, or even the SSBC/Baer setups, because they look damn cool, and I think the people who have done it, kudo's to you, I wish that GM would have made a 2nd gen Syclone style truck, or even that they would drop the piece of shit Colerado/Canyon, bring the S10 back out with a higher performance option, that had beefed up 4-wheel disc.

If people don't do it, and don't want it, the OEM's will never build it, why do you think they have reinvented the muscle cars 5x over, because people want it.

I love seeing S10's, and Blazers with big brakes, big pipes, and cool amenities, don't get me wrong its why I read this forum.

Ultimately, your grip on the road, your reaction time, and your decision making, will determine if you smash up your front end. I highly doubt that if Baer/SSBC brakes don't save you, that C6 setups would.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #309

As an add, Im actually surprised the stock master + booster would provide enough volume and pressure to a C6 setup.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #310
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by greencactus3
thats the worst excuse ive ever heard on why to not race it on a course.....
Well I'll try it once or twice
Old 06-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #311
Undecided

Quote: Originally Posted by SLStruckin
In regards to the overkill comment. There is a threshold for most things, that a certain amount is overkill.

Frankly, your ultimate stopping distance is determined by the coefficient of grip your truck has on the road. This depends on the coefficient of friction of both the surface you are on, and the surface of your tires.

Not to give a lesson in physics here, but fundamentally, if on dry pavement, you can stomp the brakes and induce ABS, or induce lockup for those without ABS, then you've exceeded the threshold of grip. Now, rotors and calipers are very simple. The caliper presses on the rotor, causing again a coefficient of grip, as determined by the friction, between the two surfaces.

When the grip of the rotor on the disc, exceedes the grip of the tire on the road, simply put, your wheel locks up, or goes into ABS.

Now, obviously the inertia and force of the truck as it travels forward, greatly effect the coefficients, but thats why brake bias is generally ~70% to the front.

In terms of Blazers, and S10's- they are not Mack trucks, nore are they even close to a full size. They do not require the amount of brake force provided by corvette setups.

It has nothing to do with traffic, if somebody cuts you off- frankly thats your reaction time, and how quickly your foot moves to the brake pedal. If you're a slow ass tool, then C6 brakes wont save you.

Now, conceededly larger setups avoid brake fade, and are more tolerant of temperature, but unless you're driving Laguna Seca in 110 degree weather all day long, you again don't require that capability of fade resistance.

I whole heartedly agree, that Bear and SSBC setups, even changing S10's to the blazer 2piston setup, will improve your stopping distance over stock, given you aren't running the narrow ass 205 stock front tires.

I also conceede that larger diameter rotors produce more rotational inertia, however the primary culprit of that rotational inertia is the 18+inch x 8.5+ inch wheel with the big ass spokes and thick rim edges.

All that said- if you are running an LS truck, or blazer as it may be, or maybe you have some really whacked mid engine twin turbo shitsubishi setup, and your passengers asses get hot from the exhaust manifolds, or maybe you've crammed in a 572 that hasnt sipped pump gas since it was installed- then perhaps, just maybe, you'd warrent a C6 setup for the performance aspect.

Maybe you really do circle track your truck, perhaps you're trying to compete in the truck series.

If the above were the case, I doubt you'd be running such heavy beefy setups. Unless you are very lucky and get to go around Bristol, and can actually break 100mph on the straights without going straight into the wall.

But by in large, most users of the forum, don't drive in a manner that requires such a setup, unless they live in LA... I hear the cops out there have pretty quick cars .

So- why do it.

A: Because you have the money.
B: Because you weren't an idiot, and got some nice open spoke design wheels.
C: Because you think stock stuff looks, and feels like poo.
D: Because you want to be the first Sonovette.

and perhaps the biggest reason of all:

E: BECAUSE YOU CAN.

Now my personal take- since you all probably think Im jealous,
frankly, I'd love to do this setup, or even the SSBC/Baer setups, because they look damn cool, and I think the people who have done it, kudo's to you, I wish that GM would have made a 2nd gen Syclone style truck, or even that they would drop the piece of shit Colerado/Canyon, bring the S10 back out with a higher performance option, that had beefed up 4-wheel disc.

If people don't do it, and don't want it, the OEM's will never build it, why do you think they have reinvented the muscle cars 5x over, because people want it.

I love seeing S10's, and Blazers with big brakes, big pipes, and cool amenities, don't get me wrong its why I read this forum.

Ultimately, your grip on the road, your reaction time, and your decision making, will determine if you smash up your front end. I highly doubt that if Baer/SSBC brakes don't save you, that C6 setups would.
better tires are better than better brakes, but both of them compliment each other well. and speaking from experience, the total feel, endurance, and look of these are remarkable. I don't know what the baer/ssbc brakes are capable of, but they are what everyone else has.

01cherryreds10- you might want to talk to bad94 about getting brackets, and if you want it to ride really good, get dbl adjustable shocks. I have the dble adjustable shockwaves, but im sure the coilovers will well also. Now for the rear suspension you will have to talk to cactus, i know he has done alittle bit of research on it.

oh yeah, i will get some new pictures soon

Last edited by redxtruck; 06-05-2008 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #312
Those crazy ass dogs!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by redxtruck
01cherryreds10- you might want to talk to bad94 about getting brackets
It may have been mentioned, but does he also make the hubs?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #313
Undecided

i beleive he can
Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #314
Molon Labe

I PM'd Bad94 about brackets almost a month ago and haven't heard from him yet.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #315
Undecided

no shit, well ed pops up on aim every once in a while. usually around 8pm eastern

AIM: ebmiller88
Old 06-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #316
s-series #2?

if any of you want to take the dimensions of the bracket, im sure i can machine them on the mill quite simply
Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #317
Undecided

if any of you want to take the dimensions of the bracket, im sure i can machine them on the mill quite simply
you should design me link for my rear, i don't feel like it yet
Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #318
Molon Labe

Yeah, do one for his---and I'll use it for mine too.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #319
fmylife.com

Problems with backspacing in the front? or did you do a custom wheel?
Old 08-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #320
Undecided

no problems. the corvette rotors slide right over the blazer hubs. if you use a turned down s10 rotor, you will have problems. about 1/2 and inch
Old 08-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #321
s-series #2?

no problems. the corvette rotors slide right over the blazer hubs. if you use a turned down s10 rotor, you will have problems. about 1/2 and inch
so there is no float on the rotor?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #322
Undecided

so there is no float on the rotor?
right, there is a better answer in the other post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #323
s-series #2?

right, there is a better answer in the other post
aha ill check that
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f14/c6...lipers-363445/
this thread for other's reference
Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #324
fmylife.com

What about the rear?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:31 AM   #325
Undecided

small change. i had to add a 5mm spacer between the axle and rotor. the guy that made my brackets said that he has corrected the problem though. this is what happened
Old 10-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #326
fmylife.com

Anyone looked into ZR1 brakes lol?
Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #327
Insert witty title here.

The brakes alone would be worth more than the vehicle.... LOL go ahead and be the first one Robert!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #328
fmylife.com

Hell no lol! Im afraid to even look for a price.... But, it would be pretty sick!
Old 10-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #329
Insert witty title here.

From Corvetteforum.com

Quote: Originally Posted by Doctor Electron
I know, I know; fronts are gonna be gone long before the rears and if you can afford a ZR1 are you really worried about the cost of brakes but here ya go anyway. These are GM wholesale pricing.
Front and rear rotors = $1,440.75 ea x 4 = 5763.00
Front Pads per wheel = $581.25 x 2 = 1,162.50
Rear pads per wheel = $441.75 x 2 = 883.50
Total 7809.00
Add about 15% for GM retail parts price = $8,980 for parts only. To see if you need rotors they have to disassemble the brake system enough to remove the rotor to weigh it. Each rotor has its own discard weight stamped on it. "NO sir, you don't need rotors at this point, that will 750 dollars labor, thank you very much" .So add in labor and tax and I am pretty sure you are getting out a ten thousand dollar bill to be paid in full. Getting GM wholesale pricing from GM parts departments is pretty easy. Get ya down to around 9 grand or so. So there ya go, for what it is worth.
Doc E.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #330
Insert witty title here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=brakes+zr1

This guy is even selling a set. $5500!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #331
C-130 Crew Dog

I'd realy like to make my blazer into a good handleing and performing vehicle, cause I love hitting the twisties around here and just can't do it with stock brakes. Does anyone know if you can stil get this kit. I just want the fronts for now til I get some coil-overs made.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #332
BodyDropped Member

Isn't this what you purchased? For the most part anyway?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/C6-Co...Q5fAccessories
Old 11-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #333
Undecided

that would be a great start
Old 12-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #334

I can't believe people are whining about an overpowered braking system. That's just like people bitching about an engine having too much power and spinning the wheels instead of acclerating w/o spin.

Z06 brakes ROCK
Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #335
BodyDropped Member

yeah I'd love to do this on my current project. Not only does it look absolutely kick ass, i am sure it performs just as well. Shame it's just too damn expensive to get everything done haha.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #336
Killing Time

Is Bad94 still making the brackets for front and rear?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #337
LT1 S10 Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by Petro
Is Bad94 still making the brackets for front and rear?
Yes, PM him.

I'll alert him if I catch him on IM.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #338
Killing Time

I just PMed him. Thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #339
Killing Time

This setup is for Front C5 brakes but aren't the caliper mounting points the same for Z06 caliper ? Plus they have a pretty cool upper and lower control arm setup for QA1 coilovers..

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-2003-...-S-10-2WD.html
Old 01-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #340
Killing Time

Nevermind it says that it'll work with C5/C6 brake setups..haha I jumped the gun on that one. Now all I'll need is the Rear Bracket
Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #341
Getting faster

Quote: Originally Posted by Petro
This setup is for Front C5 brakes but aren't the caliper mounting points the same for Z06 caliper ? Plus they have a pretty cool upper and lower control arm setup for QA1 coilovers..

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-2003-...-S-10-2WD.html

Yes, those will bolt up any factory C5/C6 brake combo. I have those on my truck and a great investment if your after killer handling IMO. Went up in price though...
Old 01-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #342
Killing Time

Alright cool..does those spindles really drop the front an 1in like it says and they also claim that the spindles don't push the wheel out like Drop Spindles do.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #343
Killing Time

Do you also have the lower control arms? I was wondering if they also dropped the front? (the ones the hold the stock springs.)The reason ask is because stock lower arms have the hump in them and these mount below the arm so it just seems by looking at them they would also lower.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #344
Killing Time

Did redxtruck ever say what size wheel he was using and with backspacing-offset?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #345
Killing Time

bump
Old 01-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #346
LT1 S10 Expert

I'm pretty sure he did.

You can search this thread - look up at the top of the page under the "page numbers" of the thread. It says "search this thread" then just enter his username. Show results by "post" not "thread."
Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #347
Killing Time

I couldn't find a post with any backspacing/offset spec on redxtruck but some 20" Eagle Alloy 025s should easily clear.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #348
Killing Time

bump
Old 02-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #349
Molon Labe

Post 14 shows a wheel fitment template link.

http://www.kore3.com/tech.php#fitment_templates
Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #350
Killing Time

Yeah I figured all the brake issues I could think of about the Z06 upgrade a lil while back..now I just need the money!!!! I was just giving the thread a bump for some guys that maybe hadn't seen it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.