Resealing the Tire Bead - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Resealing the Tire Bead

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Urban Hick

User is: OffLine
Resealing the Tire Bead

As some of you on here know I've recently acquired a 69 Lotus Europa...But I've had very little time to work on it. Anyway, I finally got to the first issue(flat tire), thinking it would be a simple fix....Wrong! It has some aftermarket alloys on it(made in Australia) that look ok for now so I'd like to keep them. The problem is, the front left rim leaks right along the bead....I tired putting some of that tire sealant crap in it for now....but it's still leaking at both the face side and backside of the rim.
How can I get this fixed?? I'd like to keep the tire for now if possible, it will need new tires once i get it running and driving...but for now all I need is for it to hold air. I thought about removing the tire, and cleaning the bead on the rim, and then re-installing the tire....would that work??
Any other thoughts?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Local Tech

Re: Resealing the Tire Bead

yes, that will work.... what i usually do is remove the tire, clean up the bead surface, and remove any heavy debris from the tire bead, and apply some bead sealer to the rim.... if you put tire sealer in there.... get it out! that stuff will ruin the rim from the inside out.... its only supposed to be temporary til u can fix the leak
Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Urban Hick

Thanks...I'll do that.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #4

tube
Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #5

I came across that tire sealer crap this week at work, and man it was TERRIBLE, probly a few months old, I probly spent an hour spraying it with duca-sol and a pressure washer, and it smells like ass once you bust the bead. I would rather call a tow truck then use that stuff in my tires
Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
Negative 10

take the tire back off.
tank some sand paper.
sand the shit out of the beed on the rim.
make sure there are no flakes and everything is smooth
then spread a bunch of bead sealer on the rim.
and put the tire back on.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
The Eye is watching you!!

most tire shops will clean the bead for 10-20 bucks and about 10 minutes. if it's really bad they'll throw bead sealer on there. that even works on chrysler chrome rims.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by kamesama980
most tire shops will clean the bead for 10-20 bucks and about 10 minutes. if it's really bad they'll throw bead sealer on there. that even works on chrysler chrome rims.
yeah.. lol chrysler's joke of chrome. but the fix a flat crap ruins the tire because it softens it up and can also start to eat the rim.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #9
Urban Hick

Thanks guys....I'll see if I can get a shop to do it that cheap...If so I'll let them do it...save me some aggrivation.
I didn't use 'fix a flat'....it was just the goopy stuff you put in there to seal slow leaks, not in an aerosol or anything. I will take it out though just in case, not that it really matters with this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.