Rear Disc Brakes for first gen s-10 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Rear Disc Brakes for first gen s-10

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2004, 12:02 AM   #1
Rolnlow

User is: OffLine
Rear Disc Brakes for first gen s-10

does nay one know who makes a kit to convert drum brakes to disc brakes or another vehicle that has disc brakes that would work on a first gen s-10?
Old 03-29-2004, 02:49 PM   #2

Re: Rear Disc Brakes for first gen s-10

hey i dont know man but if you find out will you please pm me? i wanna do this as well. i would think it would hafta be a performance thing with the 20s. i know people do blazer disk conversions but thatss all stock. you would still hafta upgrade right? thanks bro
Old 03-29-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
DTC built

I think people pull them off of a camaro and use a spacer on the caliper. not sure though
Old 03-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #4

SS brakes makes a kit for like 800 bucks. you can the disc's off of late model (93+ I believe) camaro. I have mine sitting in the kitchen--need to turn the rotor and rebuild the calipers before i install. Apparently you need washers between the axle and backing plate to keep the caliper from bottoming out on the rotor.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
On tha grind

well sum1 do it... take lots of pics, and tell all measurements/thicknesses of washers and how many blah blah blah and get it posted in HOW-TO
Old 03-29-2004, 04:12 PM   #6
Gear Banger

GO TO...
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/product.htm

[[THIS IS PRETTY MUCH A UNIVERSAL KIT THAT WELDS ONTO YOUR STOCK HOUSING. IT'S FAIRLY EASY, AND IT USES THE SAME PADS ON THE REAR AS THE FRONT OF YOUR TRUCK IF YOU GET THE METRIC KIT, AND IT'S REALLY CHEAP. IT'S ALSO REALLY LIGHT IF YOU GET THE STEEL HATS. ONE THING YOU DO HAVE TO DO THOUGH IS GET A C-CLIP ELIMINATOR, OR THE AXLE WILL FLOAT ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Last edited by sixspeeddemon; 03-29-2004 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:11 PM   #7

just get rear disk brake setup off a late model s-10 2wd blazer. it is a direct bolt on except you will have to get 2 peices of 1/4 steel aprox 4"x4" x 1/4" and make a spacer for your backing plates, drill 4 holes that line up with the 4 in your backing plate and 1 big one in the middle for the axle to slip back through like the big hole in the backing plate. blazer rears are 1/2" shorter than a truck rear thus you need a 1/4 spacer on each side to make up the difference. plate goes in between the backing plate and the rearend housing flange. i got my whole set up off a 98 2wd blazer at the junk yard for like $50.00 i pulled it.
also get the front sway bar off the donor 2wd blazer (it's the same as a zq8 and a direct bolt on) for trucks.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:07 PM   #8

Thanks alot for the info. I'm going to start this asap. please repost if you think of any other things.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:14 PM   #9
Rolnlow

thanks for all of the help on everything, I hope to do this sometime soon
Old 03-30-2004, 11:16 PM   #10

What parts do i need to make sure i pull? I'm assuming verything from the backing plate out. Are there any changes to the lines or anything?
Old 03-31-2004, 09:56 AM   #11
DooR DraggeR

Quote: Originally Posted by jpatt24
just get rear disk brake setup off a late model s-10 2wd blazer. it is a direct bolt on except you will have to get 2 peices of 1/4 steel aprox 4"x4" x 1/4" and make a spacer for your backing plates, drill 4 holes that line up with the 4 in your backing plate and 1 big one in the middle for the axle to slip back through like the big hole in the backing plate. blazer rears are 1/2" shorter than a truck rear thus you need a 1/4 spacer on each side to make up the difference. plate goes in between the backing plate and the rearend housing flange. i got my whole set up off a 98 2wd blazer at the junk yard for like $50.00 i pulled it.
also get the front sway bar off the donor 2wd blazer (it's the same as a zq8 and a direct bolt on) for trucks.
You're half right jpatt24....
Most 1st gen axle flanges only had 3 hole's to mount on....2 bolts @ the bottom & the top is the brake's wheel cylinder. Unless your 93 came with a larger 10 bolt rearend, (I dunno never personally worked on a 93) all the 1st gen s10's I've seen came w/ the 7.5" 10 bolt....which has the 3 bolt pattern - yours musta had the 4.3....really who knows when they made the change - maybe all 4.3 's came w/ the 8.2 or 8.5" 10 bolts..........
BTW - a little tid bit o info... ALL S10's came w/ a 10 bolt rear from factory....just diff. ring gear sizes....
Here's a link to the different flanges. You definately need to check this on your truck before part shopping......
http://www.ssbrakes.com/relatedItems/37.jpg &
http://www.ssbrakes.com/relatedItems/21.jpg

Do a search on SSBC's site - use their vehicle search on their home page & it'll give you all the options they offer for any S10...........................

Peace-
Eric
Old 03-31-2004, 10:47 AM   #12

http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/s...9&page=1&pp=10
Pics of the LS1 conversion
I'll take some once it gets nice outside and i can put mine on

*edit - now that I have really read the thread, the camaro stuff might be a little bit of a pain to do on a first gen. If your flanges are 3 bolt, couldnt you just get the axles off of a 2nd gen truck to go to a 4 bolt? you're gonna have them out anyway so it would only be more parts.

Last edited by iamthehor; 03-31-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:10 PM   #13
DooR DraggeR

it's not the axles that have the flanges your worried about. The rear end housing has the flanges in question - either 3 or 4 hole.......the axles slip inside the ends of the housing & are the same on every S10 - edit - the splines may be different - but that's another story & you don't need to worry about that for a rear disc swap.....

Yeah imo I think you're creating way too much work for yourself if you do the LS1 swap - unless you just have to have LS1 brakes - or are seriously into autocrossing or something.....
Old 03-31-2004, 03:17 PM   #14
DooR DraggeR

I just signed into theother site...my old name wasn't valid anymore...huh! Guess it has been awhile since I visited that site.......
anyway, the flange I'm talking about are on the 8th & 9th pic in that thread....they hold the backing plate of the drum on & in a disc setup, the braket that the rotor hanges from will attach here.......

Get it now? = )
Old 03-31-2004, 05:06 PM   #15

lol - thats what i get for thinkin way too early in the morning
Old 03-31-2004, 05:09 PM   #16
tits, clits or bong hits

80's I-roc rear disk bolt up
Old 03-31-2004, 08:33 PM   #17

mine is a 7.5" 10 bolt rear, 4 bolt flange it was a 2.8 v-6 from factory.

Quote: Originally Posted by shorty
You're half right jpatt24....
Most 1st gen axle flanges only had 3 hole's to mount on....2 bolts @ the bottom & the top is the brake's wheel cylinder. Unless your 93 came with a larger 10 bolt rearend, (I dunno never personally worked on a 93) all the 1st gen s10's I've seen came w/ the 7.5" 10 bolt....which has the 3 bolt pattern - yours musta had the 4.3....really who knows when they made the change - maybe all 4.3 's came w/ the 8.2 or 8.5" 10 bolts..........
BTW - a little tid bit o info... ALL S10's came w/ a 10 bolt rear from factory....just diff. ring gear sizes....
Here's a link to the different flanges. You definately need to check this on your truck before part shopping......
http://www.ssbrakes.com/relatedItems/37.jpg &
http://www.ssbrakes.com/relatedItems/21.jpg

Do a search on SSBC's site - use their vehicle search on their home page & it'll give you all the options they offer for any S10...........................

Peace-
Eric
Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 PM   #18

so I have a 3 bolt flange. What are my options? Note: I want to change my rear end as well. I wasn't planning on it because \'ve been wanting to paint for the past three years, but keep getting held up by modifying everything i get into.

Last edited by 83LongBox; 03-31-2004 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #19
DooR DraggeR

I had an '83 & '90 w/ a 2.8 & they had the 3 bolt..........odd........wonder when they made the switch.....I stand corrected. Looks like we're both half right!

Quote: Originally Posted by jpatt24
mine is a 7.5" 10 bolt rear, 4 bolt flange it was a 2.8 v-6 from factory.
iamthehor - I hear ya - if I don't have my coffee in the morning - look out.....

83long box - your options are few, unless you got $6 - 800 burnin a hole in your pocket
Old 04-02-2004, 05:29 PM   #20

if it's getting done right i don't mind putting money into it. I've already wasted tonnes on this truck. Is there any vehicle that i can take the hole rear end, axel, and disc's from? Something with posi.

Last edited by 83LongBox; 04-02-2004 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:41 AM   #21

Lightbulb Re: Rear Disc Brakes for first gen s-10

ok long box, shorty is right on the axel bolt pattern but nothing is gonna bolt right up, i have the next best thing though, i have an 84 and i put disc brakes myself on a sunday afternoon with no adapters or anything, its 2:40 in the morning here so ill just put a bit of info, if you are serious, ill hook you up on how i did it and try to find the pics, just email me. Ok i first found an old Camaro (late 80s you may have to look for a while but they are around) and pulled the whole rear diff off the ass end, i thought it would be a direct bolt on since its the sam ebolt pattern and nearly the same differential, but its a bit complicated, but luckly enough i had an extra s10 diff to work with, i also have the three bolt pattern, youll have to drill new holes but its not much and i did it in 3 hours but i screwed up and made the calipers face rearward so i now need to find a place that can make me a p-brake cable longer, but if you face the calipers forward it should work with factory cables, the set up for those cars came with the same axel mount for both sides, fyi one side faces forward and one backwards, so when you drill make sure you drill it right so you can have them both face forward or backward, you will only need to modify the e-brake lever, but its just a little cut! Im pretty tired as of now but ill try to find pics tomorrow so email me and ill get you a step by step of how i did it! they stop great and it was cheap! paid 500 for the whole camaro! most kits are 800+ Plus if you got nice open wheels they look great and way better then the ugly drums! as for some of the newer s10 swaps i have no clue as i only have an 84 to look at, but i have done it, it works, and it costs a lot less than a kit, plus you dont have to order special kit pads, just camaro rears!

Last edited by Fabianss357; 04-05-2004 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:06 AM   #22
Getting faster

Im going with a set up from a LS1 camaro. 12" floating discs. Pretty much bolt on, with the expection of needing a washer between the axle and mounting surface. Im told you just need 1 (from like a 3/8" bolt) washer on each of the 4 bolts. Fab up lines, and your ready to roll.

I thought it was around 88 when they changed the axle flanges of the trucks. I got my LS1 rear disc set up off ebay for $300 shipped, and its gonna go on my 8.5" as soon as I get it rebuilt.

I think its Samdog that wrote that how to from SSF. Pretty good, detailed job IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.