parking brake - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

parking brake

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
parking brake

Anybody having problems with their parking brake not wanting to disengage when it gets cold. It was 16 degrees here this morning and it took me 10 minutes to force the damn thing up.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Local Tech

Re: parking brake

my lt1 truck does that, but barely..... it just feels like the spring is worn tho...... i just tap it up with my shoe
Old 12-15-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
Electrical Mod

Quote: Originally Posted by oks10
Anybody having problems with their parking brake not wanting to disengage when it gets cold. It was 16 degrees here this morning and it took me 10 minutes to force the damn thing up.
When its cold as in below freezing temperature? If so, it sounds like you got water or something in your parking brake cables and they are freezing. My fourwheeler has the a problem with its cables freezing and they are easy to apply still, but stick and don't want to release.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #4

It doesn't necessarily have to be below freezing. Generally when its about 40 or 50 it has a delay and the colder it gets the more force it takes.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #5

I use my frame as my e brake.. lol

no but really does anyone know why the e brake wont even go down?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #6

yeah, sounds like the cables are freezing. wd-40 is a moisture remover. it doesn't work superbly, but when it isn't freezing out, try and get some of it in there. it is about your only option, other than replacing the cables.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #7

where exactly would I spray the wd40?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Electrical Mod

Anywhere under your frame that you see the parking cables, i'd guess after the splitter where the individual cables go into the housing again. Keep it off of your brakes though. Have you pulled a drum hub off yet? may have corrosion in there also, doesn't hurt to look.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #9

hmmm what if the pedal wont stay down?

mine comes up everytime i step it down.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:00 AM   #10
Blue Bowtie

mine used to come up real slow when it was cold out...like take 10 sec to come up all the way

today i went to get out of my truck and leave it run so it could warm up while i scraped the ice off and it went SNAP, and now it doesn't stay down

...so i have both problems...oh well 1st gear works for me usually
Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by nemesis8
hmmm what if the pedal wont stay down?

mine comes up everytime i step it down.

the parking brake pedal on my 99 blazer doesnt stay down either, but its because the tab "ear" part of the parking brake assembly that the actual cable connects to broke off one day when i went to step on the parking brake.

next time you are looking at your truck, look under it at the back side of your rotor or drum (depending on your brake setup) and see if the cable is still connected
Old 12-17-2008, 03:05 AM   #12

hey yeah ill check that out.

the previous owner did the rear disc swap so ill see whats up

thanks
Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 AM   #13
S Lo

I hate the stock s10 parking brake system, every s10 I have ever bought has had SOMETHING wrong with the E-brake except one. Like was mentioned before, get under the dash and spray a little WD on all the moving parts. Then get under the truck and spray some anywhere the cable leaves or enters the sheath. Do this with the brake both disengaged AND engaged to be sure to get as much coverage as possible. Cycle the brake a few times and see if there is an improvement. After this I like to spray a little aerosol White Lithium grease on the same places I sprayed the WD. White lithium tends to "stick" to the cable a bit and provide longer lasting lubrication.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #14

he went and spelled it out. my brake didn't stay down either. the release mechanism was gummed up and was stuck in the release position. it is under the dash- just follow the brake release cable. there is a liitle arm that it attaches to. it is probably very difficult to move and is stuck in the release position (as if the brake release were pulled back toward you all the time). free it up w/some wd40 and just work it back and forth with your fingers. it should free up. once it's free, a little white lithium would help out too.

Quote: Originally Posted by badandy247
I hate the stock s10 parking brake system, every s10 I have ever bought has had SOMETHING wrong with the E-brake except one. Like was mentioned before, get under the dash and spray a little WD on all the moving parts. Then get under the truck and spray some anywhere the cable leaves or enters the sheath. Do this with the brake both disengaged AND engaged to be sure to get as much coverage as possible. Cycle the brake a few times and see if there is an improvement. After this I like to spray a little aerosol White Lithium grease on the same places I sprayed the WD. White lithium tends to "stick" to the cable a bit and provide longer lasting lubrication.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #15

Thanks for the info guys. Just goes to show that as long as you have duct tape and wd-40, you can fix anything!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #16

except for a bad head gasket....

Thanks for the info guys. Just goes to show that as long as you have duct tape and wd-40, you can fix anything!
Old 12-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #17

nah, just throw some duct tape around it. it'll be aight
Old 12-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
Rarely goes over 20mph

i never used a parking brake, my old 1st gen 5 speed didnt have it, just have to be sure not to park on an incline, tried doing that and i could feel the truck trying to inch down the incline with me still in it, i parked elsewhere
Old 12-22-2008, 01:53 AM   #19

Well, with all the problems I've had with it not coming up, tonight it won't stay down. This parking brake is pissing me off. Now I get to get out the cold to try and fix my brake.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #20

Well after trying to figure out for the past half hour whats up, here is what I have found. The pedal wont stay down, when I push it everything is moving right, and I can see the cable attached to the release handle move when I pull it. The problem is I can't see where the release cable interacts with the brake cable because of the metal housing around it. I've sprayed wd40 all over it with nothing to show for it. Any other ideas?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #21

Well mine is a different problem. It got to about -5 C here and my parking break always worked fine from factory and its a 98. I got in it and mine wont lock when engaged. Like if I physically hold the parking brake down it works. Just something with the lock mechanism must be broken. Tomorrow I will get it in the garage and get a look at it. Anyone have any similar deals?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 AM   #22

that's exactly what mine is doing. I can't see anything though because of that plate that covers it and is riveted on. Let me know if you come up with anything. I can't look at mine right now bc its in the shop getting the clutch fixed; was making a grinding noise and I had to force it in to gear, surprised I made it to the shop.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #23

Oh well I won't be looking at mine again until about may. It finally got into winter storage that I have been waiting a good month to get into. I will try to fix it come spring. I don't use the parking brake often but it will be fixed for inspection come next september
Old 12-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #24

Yes... I park in my driveway and it's on a slight hill... i leave my truck over night with the park brake engaged and it can reach -10 degrees celcius at night. By morning I warm the truck for 2-3 mins and i'm off. I disengage the park brake and set it into reverse and the truck won't budge unless i give it some gas. it stays stuck...
Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #25

i have the same prob
the toughness of releasing is proportional to the coldness.
i have gotten under the dasy and sprayed the mechinism wirh lube and still tough.
BUT>>> when the cab warms up fully it is no longer stuck, so it is NOT sticking or frozen on the outside it must be something on the inside.

has anyone found out the problem,

this break release seems to use some sort of a shoe stop because it is not clicking when steeping down on the pedel. but i cant see anything because it is allcovered up with plate.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #26

my s10 does that, if it is below 40 outside the e brake pedal won't dis engage. i have to push it down farther, then try and release it, then push it down again' then release it i have to work it back and forth.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 AM   #27

I found out that mine was binding under the frame for some reason.
I must have hit the frame and caused it to pinch.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #28
zzzq8

never had problems with mine in the cold, only had the line snap on one once
Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #29

Anyone get theirs to engage that wasn't letting the parking brake engage? I plan to tear into mine as soon as it comes out of storage. If its the parking break mechanism, does anyone know if the part is the same as any other GM vehicles with a foot parking brake?
Old 01-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #30

I haven't been able to get anywhere with mine. i've just been leaving it in 1st or reverse depending on which direction I'm parked. What sucks is that my parking spot is inclined so I can't just let my truck warm up while I go back inside.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:03 PM   #31
Hmm.. well now..

My brake sticks a bit. When I first put my truck in the driveway when I got it, and put the park brake one, it stuck, and we had to drive forward and let it roll back to get it to release. Its probably because the truck has been sitting for over a year, and I haven't been driving it myself. Oh well little maintanace things. I also figured out the bolt that holds the spare on rusted off, thats why there isn't one there.

Now I just leave it in 1st or block the wheels.
I'll probably order some airplane wheel chocks from work and toss em in the bed.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #32

Well, I just replaced my parking brake today. Didn't think to take pictures, just wanted to get it done. I got a discount on the part from the dealership and only payed 40 bucks, its 60 retail. It took be about an hour to finish but that was mainly due to not having the proper tools. It's a pretty simple "out with the old, in with the new" process. Theres two screws on the bottom, one by the pedal and one by the brake cable, and then there is a nut on the top you have to take off. You can't see but its there, just have to feel for it. For me the hardest part was getting the cable off and on the mechanism.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #33

So you replaced the locking mechanism on the pedal assembly?
Old 03-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #34

I replaced the entire parking brake mechanism. I'm uploading pics to photobucket right now.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #35

ok, here we go. here are some pictures that show where the three mounting bolts are. The top is held by a bolt that is actually attached to the truck and you take the nut off of it. Its what puts the assembly in the right spot. Also, be sure to detach the electrical connection to the switch that tells the computer when the brake is engaged.

Also, I used a 13mm socket for the screws and nut. If you have a deep socket it will make it a lot easier. Any questions, pm me and I'll do the best I can to help.

Last edited by oks10; 03-21-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #36

ok, here we go. here are some pictures that show where the three mounting bolts are. The top is held by a bolt that is actually attached to the truck and you take the nut off of it. Its what puts the assembly in the right spot. Also, be sure to detach the electrical connection to the switch that tells the computer when the brake is engaged.

Also, I used a 13mm socket for the screws and nut. If you have a deep socket it will make it a lot easier. Any questions, pm me and I'll do the best I can to help.
So did you just purchase that whole assembly in the picture above? You say it was around $60? I am thinking I am going to have to tackle this minor swap when I get my truck out in april. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #37

Yeah, I purchased the whole piece. I got it for less but it's 60 retail. You have to get it from a chevy dealer. I didn't take pictures until after I was done so the picture with it standing alone is the old one and the one installed is the new one. The new one is a lot cleaner obviously.

Last edited by oks10; 03-22-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #38

Yeah, I purchased the whole piece. I got it for less but it's 60 retail. You have to get it from a chevy dealer. I didn't take pictures until after I was done so the picture with it standing alone is the old one and the one installed is the new one. The new one is a lot cleaner obviously.
Thanks greatly, I am almost positive that is what mine needs. It was almost like the little teeth in the locking mechanism broke so therefor it would no longer lock the pedal down.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #39

oks10, you wouldn't happen to have the part number for that assembly would you?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 PM   #40

The part number I have on my receipt is 15016010. I'm sure if you just call the parts department at the chevy dealer they'll be able to help you.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #41

Alright, I'll give it a shot.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #42

can anybody who has had the parking break cable snap, give me some help as far as how to replace the cable, and where to buy it. Mine always stuck, so one day i was working it back and forth really hard and snapped the cable right under the cab, so it hangs down with a zip tye on it now.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #43

i have a 1998 s10 2.2L and i wanted to know if the e brake engager? is interchageable between the s10 and the blazer
Old 10-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #44

I have a problem with my e-brake pedal assembly on a 1991 s-10 4 door blazer the ratchet teeth are stripped from being used all the time on a manual trans. so does anyone know where to get one except the dealer.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 AM   #45
always something new

User is: Online

junk yard ?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #46

Anyone know what to do if you parking break on a manual doesn't hold the truck on a slight hill?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #47
Dump em' Out

Quote: Originally Posted by RWW1980
Anyone know what to do if you parking break on a manual doesn't hold the truck on a slight hill?

Tighten the cable......
Old 10-29-2010, 06:56 AM   #48
Smoke Crack-Drive Fast :D

Quote: Originally Posted by littlewazz
I have a problem with my e-brake pedal assembly on a 1991 s-10 4 door blazer the ratchet teeth are stripped from being used all the time on a manual trans. so does anyone know where to get one except the dealer.

Found mine on fleabay...
Old 12-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #49

How did you get the cable off ? Just fight it with needle nose pliers or did you come up with a better way.
Well, I just replaced my parking brake today. Didn't think to take pictures, just wanted to get it done. I got a discount on the part from the dealership and only payed 40 bucks, its 60 retail. It took be about an hour to finish but that was mainly due to not having the proper tools. It's a pretty simple "out with the old, in with the new" process. Theres two screws on the bottom, one by the pedal and one by the brake cable, and then there is a nut on the top you have to take off. You can't see but its there, just have to feel for it. For me the hardest part was getting the cable off and on the mechanism.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #50

Quote: Originally Posted by littlewazz
I had that problem. Yesterday I removed the pedal and mechanism from my '86 S-10. The ratcheting lever had half the edge broken off and the lever had gotten sloppy loose. I used a dremel tool to take down the edge so the whole edge could again catch the teeth; then balancing the mechanism on a sledge hammer, I took a drift pin punch and punch into the metal around one side of the large rivet that holds the lever taking out much of the slop but not enough to cause a bind. This placed the lever back over the teeth.

I had been putting it off as it would stay caught unless I applied 'hard' pressure to the parking brake. Also until yesterday it was undependable, sometimes popping out and letting the truck roll unless in gear.

The brake cable broke was what got me fixing it in late December. I'm running into town later for the new cable but can't find any online references to the cable splice clip I broke (would attaching photo but it's too large). Anyone know if there's a tool specific to that splice clip?

BillJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.