how much to rechrome a rim - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

how much to rechrome a rim

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
got me some 20s

User is: OffLine
how much to rechrome a rim

well long story short, i borrowed my friend's 20s..theyre kmc stealths which are discontinued...i had a ****ing locklug strip out and ended up tryin to drill it out(not my idea) and ended up messing up the hole around the lugnut...great..its actually the MSR brand of the kmc stealth, but yea lol..anyone know if i can still find a single rim? or how much it would be to get it repaired?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
forum idiot

Re: how much to rechrome a rim

if they do not strip the wheel down the new chrome will look like shit and not ever be as smooth as a one time plate...i know i had my old wheels rechromed and they looked like shit....make sure who ever does them that they strip them down to the bare metal
Old 01-25-2009, 02:33 AM   #3
Adapt And Overcome!

i curious how much it would cost also. im sure people will tell you its cheaper to find another one. but that doesnt answer your question about how much you know. Good luck
Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Needs mo POWA!

i went to a chrome shop around here and they told me 250ish to rechrome a wheel, so you could get a brand new set of rims, maybe somethin different that you'd like better, etc, for around the same price

But to the op, like orangesonoma said, whoever does it, make sure they strip the wheel first
Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
square body newbie

i called a while ago to rechrome an 18" wheel, ncluding stripping it down, etc.
it was like 350 bux. Not cheap.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
Kurrupted Kreations

Quote: Originally Posted by Derek1387
350 bux. Not cheap.
Ouch!
Old 01-28-2009, 01:50 AM   #7

Yea its highly expensive, Its alot of work if it is done right though. thats problem finding someone that takes the time to do a good job.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
i need a paint job

i work at a wheel refinishing shop. for the cost of rechromeing a wheel its pointless, unless its a one off wheel. and from the sounds of it you may have damaged the lug hole. if you did the wheel is scrap, nobody wants to take the blame if something goes wrong after they fix it.

there is another way to go, powder chrome. its like powder coat paint but looks exactly like chrome when done right. ill warn you though, it doesnt hold up any better then chrome so make sure you get a copy of the warrenty.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:27 AM   #9

I had my billet wheels chromed by http://calchrome.com/ They do an awesome job. Cost to chrome a bare wheel was in the $125 to $150 range for an 18, but since yours needs to be stripped, I'm not sure how much that will add.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.