99 S10 Brake Problems... need help please! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

99 S10 Brake Problems... need help please!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
Forgotten

User is: OffLine
99 S10 Brake Problems... need help please!

first of all glad i finally found a place online decated to the S10s love these trucks.. recently i had my 99 in for 4 new ball joints.. sense i got it back ive had brake problems.. replaced my worn to the plate front brakes and new rotors bleed the frnt brakes and the pedal was really weak.. so replaced the master cylinder with a new unit.. bleed everything pedal still really soft and no build off.. i replaced the master again yesterday took it bad advanced auto got another one.. bleed the master, ABS unit, and all 4 brakes.. when the truck is turned off it is builds up a rock hard pedal... no fluid loss anywhere.... but turn the truck on and i have no pedal build up what so ever unless u give it 4-5 quick fast pumps and it gets hard for a few seconds but still goes to the floor... ive been unable to use it as my daily driver for now 3 weeks and im completely clueless on what to do.. anyone have any suggestions or ideas

specs..
99 S10 4x4 standard cab
4.3 V6, 5spd

- Josh
Old 12-25-2007, 05:12 AM   #2

Re: 99 S10 Brake Problems... need help please!

I actually had this problem in my '91 sonoma and the problem corrected itself... It sounds like your problem might actually be the vacuum booster. Check the hose from the booster to the intake for cracks, or just replace it out of spite. If the hose is fine, and you have the disposable income, replace the power booster itself, as they're might be a leak in the diaphragm.

Next, check your rear brakes for the same problems, and adjust them if they're drum. Sometimes the self adjusting screws "don't."

Check all the rubber brake lines for visible aging, and replace anything that looks like it might fail in the next 25,000 miles. After all this, if you still have the problem, take the truck to a shop and have them do only one thing, diagnose and recommend. Don't let them work on your truck, just make them tell you what's wrong.

Be sure that your parking brake is NOT engaged while bleeding the brakes. Do all four wheels, and, if the car is manual, the clutch slave cylinder as well for good measure.

Best of luck, and share what you find!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #3

Might want to have someone watch your front lines(rubber)when you apply the brake pedal and see if they swell up in size. Had a customers car come in one time that had front end work done on it and the shop hung the front calipers by the brake lines. Had a soft pedal after that, which was a damaged brake line. Now,the other thing is the abs pumps on gm's are hard to bleed. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Forgotten

i have 4 wheel disk brakes.. ive checked all the lines steel and rubber everything is in near perfect shape i get a good fluid flow threw each of the bleeders.. i havent rebleed it sense i put the new master on yesterday maybe later today i will get a chance to rebleed it.. but as far as the booster goes.. the vac. line is fine and has a good strong vacume out of it.. is there any other ways to test the booster before replacing it id rather not have to throw around 95$ for a booster if i dont have to replace it

- Josh
Old 12-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #5

If you think you can safely disassemble the booster to inspect it, then by all means try that, but I don't recommend it. GM is notorious for inseparable assemblies on the easiest to diagnose parts. The pretty much guarantee the need for dealership help, and I hate that. Until about a year and a half ago, you couldn't even get half the parts for a Colorado/Canyon to fix it yourself.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Forgotten

well took it to the garage yesterday... they hooked the computer up to bleed the ABS unit... i have a frnt right wheel speed sensor bad.. they are replacing that tommorow then hopefully get the abs bleed.. i will keep you all updated

- Josh
Old 12-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #7

On the halfshaft, there's a gear=like ring at the wheel, a small sensor is located just outside it like a crank trigger, same basic concept really. I honestly don't understand how that little problem would cause a soft pedal at idle, in park. This is why I never really liked cars run by vast amounts of electronics.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
Molon Labe

You say you bled the ABS yourself... this requires a scanner from what my chilton's manual tells me. Taking it to the shop was probably your best bet. They'll do a good pressure bleed for $40 at most shops.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
Forgotten

when i bled them i just cracked the lines and had someone pump the brake.. the problem is they connected the computer to the ABS. they cannot engage it due to a wheel speed sensor being bad.. so they have to replace that before they can purge the ABS... i hate electronic motors, makes me miss my old 85 dodge dually and my 73 cuda even more
Old 12-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #10

This is why I love my girlfriend. Three of her cars keep me busier than my truck does. The '65 Corvair Monza I just timed today, after rebuilding and dialing in the carbs. The '69 Mustang is under a tarp for the winter, and in the Spring I have a sticky lifter to deal with, as well as the suspension. The '71 Dodge Demon 340 is in pieces, the block is in my kitchen, and we're hoping to have the body off to paint within two months. Yes, I have my work cut out for me, thankfully though my '91 sonoma doesn't require so much delicate work.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
goin broke but n style

Quote:
You say you bled the ABS yourself... this requires a scanner from what my chilton's manual tells me. Taking it to the shop was probably your best bet. They'll do a good pressure bleed for $40 at most shops.

I bleed brakes everyday on cars with ABS, and have never had to hook it up to a scanner to bleed it. I work on BMW's too with complex ABS system.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
Molon Labe

Bleeding the brakes themselves does not require a scanner. But bleeding anything involving the Master cylinder down through the ABS requires a scanner.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #13

On my 99 s10 the front passenger side caliper will not disengage fully. I replaced both front calipers, rotors, wheel bearings and pads last weekend. and now the passenger side front caliper is doing the same thing again. Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.