2wd vs 4wd rear backing plates - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2wd vs 4wd rear backing plates

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #1

2wd vs 4wd rear backing plates

Hey All-

I have searched the forum up and down and cannot seem to find a definitive answer to a question, maybe someone knows or can direct me to the correct thread.

I am going to do a rear disc conversion on my 93 s10 blazer 2wd and picked up a set of backing plates off a newer 4wd truck. Does anyone know the difference between the 2wd and 4wd backing plates, other than the location that the caliper mounts? On the 2wd the calipers mount closer to the rear of the vehicle and on the 4wd the calipers mount closer to the front. I know the camaro guys that use this set-up use 1-2wd backing plate and 1-4wd backing plate because of the staggering of the shocks. Other than this, the rest (rotors, calipers) I believe can be for the 2wd.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 2wd vs 4wd rear backing plates

The brake setup is exactly the same 2wd to 4wd in terms of caliper, rotor and pads. The backing plate is different and you'll need a spacer to put 4wd backing plates on a 2wd rear. I know S10 Warehouse on ebay was selling the spacers at one time.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
V going 4 door!

i have a set of the 4x4 and the 2wd blazer brakes sitting here at the house. the only thing different is the position the axle mounting bracket holds the caliper. The abutment bracket is exactly the same and the calipers are the same. either will work fine on a 2wd rearend as long as you run the 2wd rotors.

The mounting plate thats welded to the rearend sits back an 1/8" or so closer to the pumpkin then the same bracket does on a disk brake rearend so you will need to make a little spacer to sllide between the axle mount and the disk brake bracket before ya bolt it on. If ya dont feel like making a nice little spacer, several guys have just used 2 washers on each stud.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #4

Excellent. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
dark side member

Quote: Originally Posted by Zeeke98
The brake setup is exactly the same 2wd to 4wd in terms of caliper, rotor and pads. The backing plate is different and you'll need a spacer to put 4wd backing plates on a 2wd rear. I know S10 Warehouse on ebay was selling the spacers at one time.
You're right, except the rotors are different between the 2wd and 4wd. The 4wd has close to 4" of offset and the 2wd has around 2.5" iirc. Quick search came up with a thread here for a visual comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.