wont shift out of first - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

wont shift out of first

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #1

wont shift out of first

Ok, drove my 94 with a 4.3 auto Sonoma to work today and there was no problems. When i got to work I noticed that my radio wasnt working so I checked the fues in the box and it was blown. So i replaced it. Went to leave and it wont shift out of first gear now. It goes into gear and reverse just fine and shifts firm, but just wont upshift from there. Does it have something that controls it electronically that could have gotten messed up?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can provide.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

Re: wont shift out of first

I know when my truck had trouble shifting out of 1st it was because the clutch needed to be replaced.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Mines an automatic
Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #4

Check the transmission.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Certified Technician

User is: OffLine

I have had a handful of problems with the tranny on my Sierra, so I know how frustrating it is. First off, what happens if you try to manually shift it? Instead of putting it into Drive, try starting out in 1st then shift it up one into second....does it shift or still stay in first? Check all the fuses and also while the truck is running check the transmission fluid level and condition. A place to start. Process of elimination works better then stressing over trying to think of the entire picture as a whole wondering whats wrong. Also look around for any Tranny shops that offer free inspections and can hook up to see if there are any codes present on the computer that might lend some insight as to what happened/going on.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #6

I havent tried to shift it manually, but I will give that a try here in a bit. Also i looked at all the fuses in the fuse box and they were all good, I will look to see if there are some in the engine compartment as well just to see whats there. The first thing I checked was the trans fluid, and its fine. Im about 100% sure its electrical because the ABS brake light is now on in the guage cluster and it wasnt before.

I have read elsewhere that it could be the VSS, or the wire to/from the VSS as well....and I may run that wire down to see whats there. Any other ideas or places to look. If I dont find something very soon, im just going to take it somewhere, but that sux because this truck is almost not worth fixing...its pretty rough. But I just know its something simple, but I dont really know where to start. Ugh!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
always something new

User is: Online

sounds like a shift solenoid
Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Certified Technician

Hmm It seems odd that the abs light would also turn on, and all of this after you had a blown fuse. It definetely wouldnt hurt to check that wire, make sure there is no were that has rubbed through the insulation. If you can get under the truck, check the connections there as well. Where are you located? If you are somewhere that has Les Schwab Tire, go in and have them scan the computer for you to see what the abs light is on for. Its free, I work for them here in MT. But that also might give you a bit more of an idea where to be looking for the problem.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #9

Well I just went out and drove it and was able to get it to shift manually from 1st to 2nd....but not to 3rd.
But i noticed while I was out that the speedo isnt working. SO that sounds like the VSS. I dont know if its the VSS or the wireing to/from it....but i only know one way to find out....and thats to replace the VSS. I hate to.... because its a $45 part, but at this point I dont have any idea where to even start to find where the wires go to test for continuity. Anyone know if there is a fuse for that particular part?

I pulled the part off, and before I did I could see/feel that the plug wasnt loose or anything.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #10

Went and got a VSS...put it in...and it didnt work. Disconnected the battery......let it sit a few.....reconnected...and VOLA! It works!!

By the way, I disconnected the battery before I switched it out...and it didnt fix it......obviously.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #11
Certified Technician

Ah, hmm usually always the simplest things that we overlook that turn out to be the solution. I didnt even think about resetting the computer. I havent even had my S10 that long and havent been able to put many miles on it due to weather so Im not super familiar with them exactly....its almost like your truck went into a limp mode...but Im not sure these trucks have limp mode. Either way glad to hear that it was corrected and you are able to enjoy driving normally again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.