What type of oil to use on my 95 S10 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

What type of oil to use on my 95 S10

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #1

Exclamation What type of oil to use on my 95 S10

I am looking for basic information

Such as oil type
oil filter part number
and air filter

Out of curiosity, how much might a 95 s10 with 177k miles might be worth?

[Note yes I did use the search function and could not find anything]

I live in South Texas
Old 05-19-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
i saw what you did there!

User is: OffLine
Re: What type of oil to use on my 95 S10

well with 177k miles i would just go with 10w30

thats IMHO pretty much typical mileage for the age, not great mileage but not horribly high for the age either i guess

if the truck body is clean not rusted junk and runs drives great then it could be significantly worth more than one in worse condition physically or mechanically

but at this age really what its worth is what someone is willing to give you, what you can get out of it

theres no straight up answer for this really at all

check on criagslist and such in your area for similar vehicles and see what ppl are asking for them

regionally vehicle prices tend to fluctuate, often,
depending on how common, or not, they are,

and how rusted, or not, they are

welcome to the forums!

good luck!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Texas dimes

i use 10-40 oil down here in south texas,cause it gets super hot down here,as for the oil filter try to use one with the anti drain back valve on it it will be easier on cold starts for the engine..such as the wix brand from oreillys has it, and thats the one i use..and air filter i guess any brand will be good....
Old 05-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum! I am new myself and these people have helped a lot already!

As for the type of oil and filter.. If you asked 100 people what the best type is, you'd likely get 100 different answers. People can debate which is the best until they are blue in the face lol but in the end it's nearly impossible to talk someone into using a different type of oil if they're used to a certain type of oil.

I personally always use Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w-30 because I'm in Georgia and it's almost never below freezing. If you live in a region where it can get below freezing you want to use 5w-30 all year or at least while it's cold. But then in the warmer months, you can go with a 10w-30.

I use Fram oil filters, for our trucks it would be a good idea to grab the Fram Tough Guard series because it's for high mileage vehicles. The product number for it is TG3387A. AC/Delco is also a good one, product number being PF47.

As for air filters, I use Fram as well, but anything will just about work. Not sure of the product number for it, just go to your walmart or auto parts store and look up your vehicle.

I honestly think when you get down to it, the change interval is more important than the brand you choose. For instance my Dad uses Fram oil filters but uses walmarts brand oil (SuperTech) in both his 2001 Explorer and his 1998 S-10. He changes it religiously every 4000 miles, and both vehicles have over 200K miles with the original motor and transmission in both vehicles.

IMHO, stick to your oil change intervals, read your owners manual, and any oil that has the starburst symbol on it indicating that it is approved by the American Patroleum Institute will get you where you're going!

Hope this helps!!

Justin

As for air filters it's not that big a deal
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Registered Hoosier

Welcome Is your truck a four cylinder, or six ? AC-Delco number pf47 [4cyl] pf52 [6cyl]
I usually run 5w30 winter, 10w30 summer. As to value, check with kbb.com or nadaguides.com for price guides.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
A work in progress...

I would stay away from fram oil filters, they are cheaply made with little filter media and cardboard end caps. AcDelco has cheapened up their filters too. I would use a purolator, or wix. The napa and carquest filters are made by wix.

Check out www.bobistheoilguy.com

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
goin broke but n style

User is: Online

I try and run a pf52 ac delco filter. alot of times i buy the o/c specials from the local parts house and then use a purolator filter.

I usually run valvoline 10w40 oil. if valvoline is not on sale then i run castrol. All conventual, no synthetic for me in the trucks. I dont run quaker state. I would not run it if it was given to me, but thats me.

this is for my 94 and 99. my 01 WS6 gets 0-40 euro blend castrol. with a pf61 oil filter. Yes it is synthetic.

but as stated you will get 100 diff answers from 100 diff people.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Texas dimes

yea fram is no good my friend...
Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #9

Stay away from Fram, try to stick with a wix or napa gold. As for oil, i've always ran Rotella 15w-40 with a wix filter since i bought about 3 years ago at 148,000 miles. Now it has 220,000 on it and i still run the same stuff. Even here in upstate NY i run that oil in the winter. Just remember, the 1st number is what the weight of the oil AFTER it heats up & thins out. So being in Texas you might want just a touch heavier oil. When i lived in NC the truck did really well with the heavier oil and never has used any oil in between oil changes.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by jasond
I checked out the site because I never heard of it. Tons of excellent information.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Check your ground

I use Mobil-1 synthetic 10-30 with either a Wix or Puralator filter. My truck has over 200k on the clock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.