S-10 Forum banner

What did you do to your S10/Sonoma/Hombre Today?. V3

210K views 3K replies 266 participants last post by  paulgraz 
#1 ·
I hope I am not overstepping by doing this, but I love this thread and since the last one is closed (I assume due to the length - 120 pages), I figured I would start version 3

It's not just today, but this week I concentrated on beefing up on tow capabilities. I got hung up on the frame hitting a hard packed snowdrift last weekend and had to get dragged off. I realized that my tow strap was old (I inherited it from my grandfather) and when new only rated for about 1,000 lbs. Also, I still have the stock pirate hooks on the front bumper.

I purchased a beefier tow strap (20,000 lbs rated, 4" wide and 30' long) and some massive brackets to use 7/8" tow shackles on the front (thanks, Jamaroon!). I also have gotten some more tow shackles as well- can never have too many! I will need to sandblast and repaint the brackets from Jamaroon before mounting them but I am moving forward. Sandblasting and painting should be done by the end of the weekend, maybe even installing them.....

I have been offered a new in box 2,000 lb 12v winch. I realize that this is not near big enough for serious offroad work but have been thinking of doing a 2" class 3 mount on the front of my truck and making a platform for that winch with a receiver and gator clips with enough cable to attach to the battery. In the case of my snowbank issue, this would have been more than enough, especially if I used a pully to double it. Any opinons on if this would be worthwhile?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would do the winch thing, if not anything but a learning experience.

You didn't mention the brand of winch, but I would at least double check the mounting hole dimensions to see if they're standard (e.g. WARN). This way at least you have a mount for something with bigger capacity.

2000lbs sounds like a winch for an ATV. I would imagine the mounting dimensions would be smaller?

#3 ·
I would think so as well. I have not seen it but my Dad bought it on sale years ago - he can't resist a deal. Still new in box....

#7 ·
I washed my truck, and sandblasted and repainted the brackets I got for installing front tow shackles. Hopefully they will be dry tomorrow so I can install them.

Shagggerz, that grille is awesome!

#10 · (Edited)
I installed tow shackles and hardware. Now my baby is a dirty girl, showing her nipple rings all around town....

Reactions: whiteGIANT510
#11 ·
Bought new (to me) rims on craigslist

I have been looking for 3 spoke rims since the day I got the truck.
these were what I figured to be a fair price (I could afford) they were on an s10 so i knew they would fit before wasting my time, also same diameter as my stock rims.

they are staggered, rears are the same width as my old xtreme rims, fronts are an inch narrower. but its not noticeable (the stagger is centered so really they only sit 1/2" in from the outside.

right now they are in desperate need of a cleaning/polish again. but not until it quits raining and warms up out here.

#15 ·
New spark plugs, wires, ign coils in this stupid 2.2. Suppose to be a quick damn job, but of course i get the seized bolts for the Ign coils, had to remove the whole damn module and grind em down to be able to drill and tap for some new bolts. What a bitch. Better not misfire anymore.

#20 ·
They're easy. If you have a 2nd person to help hold up the door its convenient. I use a 5 gal bucket underneath the door to help hold it up too. Each door for me, since I've done it many times, usually takes less than a half hour depending on how stubborn the old hinge pins are. The GM door spring tool is a godsend for this, definitely get it, they're cheap. I got mine at harbor freight. Search the forum for how-tos

#21 ·
^^^^ X2 - what he said. I used a jack to hold the door while I removed the pins, then laid the door down while I drove out the old pieces of bushings. The extra space allowed me to clean things up on the door jamb too. And yes, I did have to cut the door speaker wires, but they were easy to connect when i went back together with it. I didn't have the door spring tool tho, that made it a pain to put the spring in, but 4 zip ties and a vice did the trick

#22 ·
I took some scrap 2x4's and built a quick U-shaped cradle under the door just touching the bottom so when I pulled the pins I could just slide the door away and work on it. No one had the spring tool so I compressed the spring in a vice and put four really heavy cable zip-ties to hold it compressed, then stuck it back in and cut the ties.

#23 ·
I need to do the door pins on mine as well - but I will definitely get the GM door spring tool in advance.

#29 ·
Had to tow the old turd home today.First time it's failed me in 15 years.First thoughts are blown head gasket,but havent really had time to diagnose properly.Oh well,188,000 miles and no major problems.