Weak Spark on Cylinder 4 - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-08-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Weak Spark on Cylinder 4

I have a 1997 S10 with a 2.2 4banger, that i completely rebuilt myself. New main bearings, cam bearings, piston rings, reseated valves, all new gaskets, new coils, plugs and wire, control module, fuel injectors, new air/fuel filters, new fuel pump regulator.. Did a compression test (12 cranks) 149-152 psi through out all cylinders. even switch the ECMout with a different one..

My problem is that Cylinder 4, when i pull the plug off to check the spark, it barely makes it out the boot. and when i disconnect it, theirs no drop in the performance of the engine. 1-3 has a strong spark, and when i pull those off the engine starts to hesitate more.

I switch the ECM with a junkyard one(it fired the car right up but had the same issues) because it threw a ECM replacement code with the ODB scanner

Codes: P0200, P0405

i have no blinking CEL

ive tried tracing the 5v 12V coming from the ECM, when i uplug the EGR connector the 5v and 12v are there, but as soon as i connect it to the EGR it goes away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-15-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Re: Weak Spark on Cylinder 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintlouis74 View Post
I have a 1997 S10 with a 2.2 4banger, that i completely rebuilt myself. New main bearings, cam bearings, piston rings, reseated valves, all new gaskets, new coils, plugs and wire, control module, fuel injectors, new air/fuel filters, new fuel pump regulator.. Did a compression test (12 cranks) 149-152 psi through out all cylinders. even switch the ECMout with a different one..

My problem is that Cylinder 4, when i pull the plug off to check the spark, it barely makes it out the boot. and when i disconnect it, theirs no drop in the performance of the engine. 1-3 has a strong spark, and when i pull those off the engine starts to hesitate more.

I switch the ECM with a junkyard one(it fired the car right up but had the same issues) because it threw a ECM replacement code with the ODB scanner

Codes: P0200, P0405

i have no blinking CEL

ive tried tracing the 5v 12V coming from the ECM, when i uplug the EGR connector the 5v and 12v are there, but as soon as i connect it to the EGR it goes away.
code: p0200 = was a short in the fuel injector harness (fixed)
code: p0405 = was a bad EGR (replaced)

after getting those 2 things fixed, and reseting the codes in the PCM.. truck is back up and running on all 4.

i also switch out the MAP sensor with a used one from the Junkyard(not sure if that a difference) but between those 3 things my truck is running again
post #3 of 4 Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 PM
Alumni: Anger Management

Garage

Glad you got it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintlouis74 View Post
i have no blinking CEL
I've seen others mention a blinking CEL. What does it mean if it blinks?

post #4 of 4 Old 04-21-2017, 03:33 AM
It's mostly BS

It means you are probably damaging your emission control system...i.e. your cat.

2001 S10 2.2 5sp ext cab
Don't hit and run...let us know how you fixed it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page