Replacing fuel lines. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Replacing fuel lines.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #1

Replacing fuel lines.

Fuel Line replacement.

I have a 1995 S10 with a 262. + I live in Michigan, and the bottom of this car has been rusted to Pakistan and back.
My tank had a large rust patch on it and started leaking.
I figure while I'm in there swapping in a new tank, I might as well replace the fuel lines before they take a dump on me too. They are pretty rusty.

I called up the dealership. The only line parts they have are the pressure line and return line from the tank up to the gray filter can mounted on the frame rail. The rest on from that point has been discontinued.

PS: They want $150 for a pressure line, which I think is bullshit, because an entire new gas tank is only $100 including shipping to my door.

Suggestions?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Replacing fuel lines.

Quote: Originally Posted by AdamRice
Fuel Line replacement.

I have a 1995 S10 with a 262. + I live in Michigan, and the bottom of this car has been rusted to Pakistan and back.
I figure while I'm in there swapping in a new tank, I might as well replace the fuel lines before they take a dump on me too. They are pretty rusty.

I called up the dealership. The only line parts they have are the pressure line and return line from the tank up to the gray filter can mounted on the frame rail. The rest on from that point has been discontinued.

PS: They want $150 for a pressure line, which I think is bullshit, because an entire new gas tank is only $100 including shipping to my door.

Suggestions?
Try a place like S10warehouse @ebay or some other junkyard.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by S10Wheels
Try a place like S10warehouse @ebay or some other junkyard.
You may also want to consider how you route your lines. If you can add a fuel heater, i think you can have some pretty decent mileage gains.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #4

Anyone know if I can use a segment of rubber fuel line hose in place of the return line?

Quote: Originally Posted by AndVen
You may also want to consider how you route your lines. If you can add a fuel heater, i think you can have some pretty decent mileage gains.
Pseudo Science. The fuel is already pretty hot just from radiant heat off the engine block. I'd imagine heating it too much could vaporize too much of it, which would just cause problems with the fuel injectors.

Besides, where do you get the energy to heat fuel to get better gas mileage? By burning more fuel. Believe it or not, but the more electricity you pull from the alternator, the more resistance on the pulley, and the harder the engine has to work. That's precisely why all of these HHO generators and the like are BS. They pull power to make power + inefficiencies at each step.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by AndVen
This is a new one on me. Where do/did you get your information about heating fuel inline gets better "fuel mileage"? The only thing that you'll get from hot/heated fuel inline is vapor lock.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by AdamRice
Fuel Line replacement.

Suggestions?
I'm not sure as to what part of your fuel line needs to be replaced. All auto supply stores sell steel fuel lines of various lengths. All you have to do is...............MAKE YOUR OWN!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:26 PM   #7

Hopefully you've resolved this by now, but...

I replaced fuel lines on mine. You end up buying standard straight tubing from the store and bending it yourself. The only tricky part I ran into was where it lands on the fuel pump. If the top of the fuel pump is rotted, I believe there are kits to replace that as well, but its a more specific part.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #8

^ I did the tank and the pipes coming out were all rotted. Turns out the sender unit can be bought seperately for at least my 1994, $57 at advance auto. Kept my old electric pump, moved it over.

Also the lock ring was a mess. As I was trashing the old tank I just pried the outermost ring off which saved a needed inner-more ring (the "cam ring") and the o-ring. But of course the new sender came with all that again.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
I'm slap happy, bitches!

95 4.3 liter is a vortech, which is about 60 psi. i wouldnt use worm screw clamps on a pressure line like that at all. they have the rubber replacement lines in aftermarket for the high pressure, and the low pressure.

i fortunately have a tool that will flare gm fuel style.

where in michigan are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.