rear turn signal not working - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

rear turn signal not working

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #1

rear turn signal not working

OK, not sure how it is on other Chevy vehicles but I have a 2002 Chevy S10.

When one of my turn signals burn out my turn signal light in the dashboard blinks a lot faster and makes a fast clicking noise. Which alerts me when one of the bulbs needs replaced. So then I swap the bulb and all is well. The blinker light on the dash slows to the normal speed and the clicking noise is back to normal.

Just a few days ago, when turning on the right turn signal, the light on the dash started blinking fast to alert me. Right now it is the right, rear tail light that is out. (the front right turn signal works fine) I replaced the bulb, and nothing. Thinking I might have had a bad bulb, I switched the left bulb and placed it in the right....still nothing.

Obviously, it's not a fuse issue cause all other blinkers work fine.

What else could the problem be? How can I go about investigating further?
I can't figure out why it stopped working.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #2

Re: rear turn signal not working

sounds like a grounding issue to me
Old 04-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Electrical Mod

User is: OffLine

Could be a fuse, the rear tails are on separate fuses, check under the hood.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

under the hood....hmmmm, didn't think of that. I only checked the fuse on the side of the dash........good idea. I will check tonight.

as for a grounding issue, how can that be? all lights work, tail lights work (except the right rear). wouldn't the ground issue cause the lights to work and then not work? (inconsistantly??)
Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Electrical Mod

SOmetimes a ground issue will cause intermittent, but normally a ground issue is either no contact or broken wire, therefore they won't work at all. But when this happens, it will usually cause a whole side to go out, or random lights to turn on dimmly when another light turns on (power backfeeding). This sounds more like a fuse issue rather than a ground one.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #6

like i mentioned, i never thought of the fuses under the hood, i will check them tonight.

thanks again
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #7

Their won't be a fuse for just one brake light.

It's either an open in the harness, unlikely, or a bad combi-switch.

Not a bad ground, the ground would affect the park light as well.

My bet's on the combi switch. The brake light circuit goes through the signal switch so that when you step on the brake with the signal on you can have a brake on one side and a signal on the other. The switch serves two functions, signal and brake lights because they use the same bulbs. If the switch fails you can lose one function or the other to one side.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #8

hmmmmm, would it be possiblef ro you to send me a picture of where this switch is OR explain it to me? I am not savvy on vehicle electrical work at all. Hoping this is something I can do myself.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Electrical Mod

Actually, if you look at a wiring diagram for 98+, they do separate the rear tail lights so that the left is on one fuse and the right is on another. The same with the parking lights. However, if the brake light works for the rear right side, then it is not the fuse, and something to do with the multifunction switch (turn lever, wipers etc....switch mounted to the steering column).
Old 04-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #10

oh ok, i know what it is then.....how hard is it to install if it is infact the faulty switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.