Overheat? Now wont start - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Overheat? Now wont start

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #1

Overheat? Now wont start

Over the winter I had heater problems(no heat) then summer came no air. In the winter temp was @150 deg. Summer its been running 200-225 deg.

Pulled in the driveway last night and steam came out from under the hood and I could hear the coolant bubbling. I bought a flush kit and ran some cool water through it this morning but it wont start, just keeps cranking but wont turn over.

Is this a blown head gasket? If it is blown with this engine better to replace engine or gasket?

Sucks becasue this is my work truck

TIA PAB
Old 06-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #2

Re: Overheat? Now wont start

It looks like the HG.

Half turn on the oil plug and water was dripping out. I didn't go any further....
Old 06-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by MrPab911
If it is blown with this engine better to replace engine or gasket?

Sucks becasue this is my work truck

TIA PAB

Guess this is my #1 question now...
Old 06-08-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
another half pint to go

User is: OffLine

if it didnt get too hot, i would think just replace the head gasket. but not sure...
Old 06-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by lifted91dime
if it didnt get too hot, i would think just replace the head gasket. but not sure...
I dont think it did. It never got all the way over to hot.

I'm in the middle of trying to get the head off. Any links to instructions? The intake..s@*ks!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by MrPab911
I dont think it did. It never got all the way over to hot.

I'm in the middle of trying to get the head off. Any links to instructions? The intake..s@*ks!

WOW, what a PITA!

The hayes book says push rods and rockers have to come off, is that so?

Well I'm up the exhaust manifold....2 more bolts, bottom back ones...yeah!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
another half pint to go

what size motor?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by lifted91dime
what size motor?
Sorry, its the 2.2l
Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #9

I know its kinda late to try this but when I drained my coolant, flushed the system (just used water to flush it) and refilled it I needed to fill it, drive it up the block and back, let it sit for like 30 min, then fill it again, I did this 2 times and it worked well with no overheating issues. Sometimes it needs to circulate the coolant all around the system.

The only way I knew to try this is I had a major prob on my bimmer which has a purge valve you need to let the air bubbles out of and need to rev the engine at like 2000-3000 rpm for like 30 sec, purge the system and repeat 3 times… Retarded I know it took me like a month and 3 times taking the front of the engine apart to figure it out… I know the s-10 doesnl;t have a purge valve and is a much simpler system but trying what I said above might work for ya… or maybe not and you have a different prob but yea…

For the q of engine or head gasket. I would say try head gasket its like say $50 fix at max if you do it yourself compared to like 300+ for a motor.

Last edited by threehouse; 06-09-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 PM   #10

Do you think its the HG?

Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #11

I would say yes with all the rust that has formed in the cylinders.... I would also take the head and get it checked out too to be sure it isnt cracked or warped.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by southpawz
I would say yes with all the rust that has formed in the cylinders.... I would also take the head and get it checked out too to be sure it isnt cracked or warped.
The rust was light coat, just like brake rotors when rain hits them. Alittle motor oil and it wiped right out. I used a straight edge on the head and it was straight. No visible cracks or crazing..

I had to work these last 2 days...I'll finish friday.....and.....pray it works....otherwise off to the yard for an engine...
Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #13

it dosent seem like its the head gasket mainly because you didnt say anything about burning coolant,you blow a head gasket and you burn coolant and it looks like a cloud is comming out your exhaust and you dont have anymore coolant to bubble,when you flushed it out did you do it the correct way? cause there actually is a wrong and right way to do it.you might just have something stuck in there or the thermostat failed?
Old 06-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
LS3 - T56 coming SOON !

Quote: Originally Posted by sweetS10
it dosent seem like its the head gasket mainly because you didnt say anything about burning coolant,you blow a head gasket and you burn coolant and it looks like a cloud is comming out your exhaust and you dont have anymore coolant to bubble,when you flushed it out did you do it the correct way? cause there actually is a wrong and right way to do it.you might just have something stuck in there or the thermostat failed?

you can burn coolant OR you get water in the oil like he said in post #2

if it was mine i'd have the head checked since it's off already
Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #15

Well, I've put about 400 miles since replacing the HG and all seem well.. TG!!

I the best tip I found was to take the driver wheel well out. It made it much easier to get to the exhaust bolts(atleast getting them back in)

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.