Orange goop in radiator cap - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Orange goop in radiator cap

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

Orange goop in radiator cap

Hello all. I've been getting some weird orange goop in my radiator cap for some time now, the stuff even comes back a couple months after doing a coolant flush. Any idea what might be causing this? The photo off the cap was taken after cleaning it, that's how much stuff was caked on there. Thank you.

Orange goop in radiator cap-orange_goop.jpg
Old 09-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Iron LS2 coming tomorrow.

User is: OffLine
Re: Orange goop in radiator cap

After the flushes, are you putting Dex-Cool back in there? It could be leftover stuff still in the system that the flushes didn't break up, and it's breaking up over time and rising to the surface, which would pretty much be the cap. Flush it again and be sure it's thoroughly bled of air and topped off.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Replace that cap too if you haven't already. You would be surprised how many I come across that don't hold the proper pressure anymore.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #4

No dex-cool. I have been getting rust-colored fluid before flushing. I never used distilled water when adding coolant, but now I am going to switch to distilled water from now on, but I first need to know where all this junk is coming from so I can fix it if necessary.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Iron LS2 coming tomorrow.

Use regular water from your garden hose when flushing. When you've drained it for the last time and and are about to fill it up with whatever you're gonna run in it, fill it with distilled and run it again, then drain. THEN fill it with the bottles of pre-mixed coolant. Using this guarantees you're getting a 50/50 mix with distilled water. I agree about replacing the cap.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
Ticket Magnet

User is: Online

Chevy has an updated cap (several years ago) to replace the old caps with. They have yellow printing on them so it's easy to distinguish.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #7

IMO: this looks like oil getting into coolant. Possible causes, crack in block leaking head gasket. Not always does water show up in the oil with a leaking head gasket. If you are getting excessive off white gunk on the oil filler cap also then this is most likely the problem. Do you know if there has been stop leak put in the coolant? That may be flushing out. To check for a leak @ the head gasket remove radiator cap (cold) run and watch for bubbles or gurgling, indicating exhaust being forced into the cooling system. Also check over flow tank for a black oily film, this is another sign of the same problem. These checks are not fool proof but don't cost anything. Compression leak down test can indacate this also, but you must be able to interpret the results because it can show other things as well.
My ram had much the same crap going on. Leak in head gasket, also had stop leak in it which made the mess worse.
Do use distilled water and dex cool as the the hard water from most taps isn't good for engines containing aluminum, or any for that matter. Bi metal corrosion, calcium deposits when the hard water gets hot and redeposits in the smaller passages in the engine and radiator.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

I'm sort of a noob at this but I am having a similar problem... (oily film in overflow tank) their was also a little water knocked out of the spark plugs, my truck won't start but it sounds like it wants to...I'm thinking if just pulling off the head and send it to get shaved and checked for cracks...any advice it's appreciated..
Old 09-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

Quote: Originally Posted by uhlya
any advice it's appreciated..
^

#1 be careful of the "girls" in Thailand aka check for proper equipment before rental.

#2 down the hatch,not in the snatch.

#3 don't put your mouth on it,you don't know where it's been.

#4 take it to a shop
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Ticket Magnet

Quote: Originally Posted by BlazerZR5
^

#1 be careful of the "girls" in Thailand aka check for proper equipment before rental.

#3 don't put your mouth on it,you don't know where it's been.

#4 take it to a shop

Old 09-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
100000 Internet points!

Quote: Originally Posted by BlazerZR5
im getting this tattooed across my waistline in between my peepee and button hole
Old 10-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #12

Hey everybody just wanted to say thanks to those who tried to help. This repair turned out to be a great success. I took out the thermostat, pulled the drain plug (a pain literally and figuratively) and flushed that bad boy until the brown goop surrendered. Now I have nice clean green coolant and no orange goop.

My moral of the story is that radiator flushes are bull-shite. If you want to clean your cooling system flush out the engine block.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
Ticket Magnet

If you flush correctly, the engine gets flushed also...along with the core. Glad it worked out.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #14

question---should we use Dex or green in these old-ass trucks?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Ticket Magnet

If you are good about maintaining it..Dex...I would use green anyways.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
Check your ground

I use green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.