New starter/ new Flywheel grinding - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

New starter/ new Flywheel grinding

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
New starter/ new Flywheel grinding

Hey Guys and Gals,
I recently had my '98 S-10 4.3l v6 vin x raised from the dead.
Truck had been sitting for a little over 2 years waiting for my brother to do something with it.
I had my parents replace the engine to get it running again so I could buy it from them. The engine runs beautifully, nice and smooth, no jumps or drops in rpms, and nice and quiet. So started drive home from Ft Lauderdale to Orlando...
Thats where the issues started...
The engine was replaced with another 4.3l from a salvage yard. Problem 1 was difference in mounting bolts for starter, old bolts were metric, engine was drilled for standard. I'm thinking the mechanic unwittingly swapped a vin x and a vin z engine, but both have same flywheel/starters listed at advanced.
Next issue was the guy left some of the tranny bolts out so it was only mounted with 3 instead of 8. After having starter and flywheel eat each other I had them replaced and that was when I found out about the missing bolts.
Current issue is the new starter and flywheel are still grinding and it struggles to turn over. The truck is throwing a bad crankshaft sensor code and I'm hoping that is the underlying issue.
Any Ideas?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #2

Re: New starter/ new Flywheel grinding

To get a bit more in depth into starting issue, It doesn't grind at first. It engages just fine first few attempts, then starts grinding and chunking. Almost like the flywheel is engaging, but the engine can't figure out which piston to crank on. Eventually it does start though.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
love to work on my truck

sounds like maybe a shim in the starter might help
Old 10-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #4

I thought that but shimming results in no change. It doesn't seem to be hitting the flywheel, as it doesnt start grinding til 3rd or 4th attempt. The first and second attempts to start are clean, but usually unsuccessful. Will see what happens after I replace the crankshaft position sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.