Intermitent blinking battery light!! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Intermitent blinking battery light!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
damn it! not again!

Question Intermitent blinking battery light!!

i have a 01 chevy s10 v4 4.3

I was on a long road trip. Out in the middle of no where my battery light started intermittently going on and off. I immediately checked the volt meter. It was normal at 14v. I keep driving. They light eventually stopped coming on. About 150 miles later the light started doing it again, this time the volt meter had dropped about 11-12 volts. I was still about 120 miles from home so I turned off my stereo, my AC. I was determined to make it home. I made it home. I pulled out the alternator and had it bench checked. They guy at Napa said that it was bad so I replaced it.

After I replaced it I thought that would fix the problem but it didnt. I just got the new aternator installed and went for a short drive. The battery light is still intermittent. The volt meter in the truck reads 14-16. When I turn on everything, AC on max, Stereo and Lights on bright, it drops down to 14v but never drops lower. So the alternator is working but what could cause the battery light to be intermittent. When I say intermettent I mean that it comes on for 3 seconds, goes out for 5, comes on for 2 seconds, going out for 3. Its always coming on but never in a constant pattern.

i put a new battery in aswell but still nothing! WHAT IS CAUSING THIS???
Old 02-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
B95

User is: OffLine
Re: Intermitent blinking battery light!!

You can't completely go by what you alternator gauge is showing. It is just a ballpark figure. Double check you battery connections and battery cables. Even though you bought another alternator doesn't mean it can't be bad. Also check the serpentine drive belt, excessively worn belt can affect the alternator output. One more thing check your alternator wiring.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
damn it! not again!

i went out and got my new alternator and battery tested at 4 diferent places and was told they were fine, i cleaned the battery terminals, and the belt seems to be fine, what else can i check?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
B95

Well, your electrical sytem is only a 12v sytem. Trace all of your cables to and from your battery. Make sure they are good. Double check you wiring at the alternator. A wire may be hooked up wrong. If you have the old alternator, compare it to the new one. You could have a alternator that is wrong for your application. I never get a new part without comparing new to old.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
B95

Oh, btw, You state your vehicle is '01 v4, 4.3. What is the v4?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
B95

Thought about your issue last night. Have you checked the fusible link and battery junction block? These might also be causing the problem. Fusible link is inline with the battery. According to the repair manual there are 2 fusible links.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
damn it! not again!

ive been pulling my hair off trying to find a solution!! i had a squequing noise so changed the belt, tensioner and pulley so the noise is gone. lately sine ive been messing with it i have been having problems with the rpms after a reconnect the battery it shuts off when i put it in gear but after about 4 times it back normal. could this be part of the problem? how can i go about fising it? THANKS A BUNCH FOR THE HELP!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
damn it! not again!

i forgot to mention that i put a blazer alternator in, could this be causing all this problems too?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #9
B95

The alternator for a blazer should be the same.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
B95

I went looking today for Tech. Service Bullentin for my truck and yours, dealing with the battery indicator light. There is a TSB for our trucks. I don't know how much good this will do. But the TSB is #3130, issued Jan.01,2004. I just googled TSB 2001 Chevy S10.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
damn it! not again!

the rpm problem got really bad now, to the point I can't pull out of my driveway so I'll try and clean the iac and hope for the best
Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
B95

Also check your EGR valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.