ignition switch - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

ignition switch

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 12:01 PM   #1

ignition switch

Has anyone ever changed the ignition switch on a 98 s-10. the one with all the wires in the steering console, not the key switch. Is there any tricks or anything i need to watch out for?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
NOBAMA NOBAMA

User is: OffLine
Re: ignition switch

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1994 Vehicles

For anti-theft reasons, the ignition switch is located on top of the steering column assembly and is completely inaccessible without first lowering the steering column. The switch is actuated by a rod and rack assembly. A gear on the end of the lock cylinder engages the toothed upper end of the actuator rod.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the lower column trim panel, then remove the steering column-to-instrument panel fasteners and carefully lower the column for access to the switch.
  3. Remove the turn signal switch from the column and allow it to hang from the wires (leaving them connected). For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
  4. Remove the buzzer switch assembly.
  5. Carefully remove the lock cylinder screw and the lock cylinder. If possible, use a magnetic tipped screwdriver on the screw in order to help prevent the possibility of dropping it.
CAUTION
If the screw is dropped upon removal, it could fall into the steering column, requiring complete disassembly in order to retrieve the screw and prevent damage.
  1. Unfasten the steering column support bracket assembly hex head bolts and remove the bracket.
  2. Unfasten the dimmer switch assembly screws and remove the switch.
  3. Place the ignition switch in the OFF-LOCK position.
  4. Remove the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers, then remove the assembly.
To install:
  1. Before installing the ignition switch, place it in the OFF-LOCK position, then make sure that the lock cylinder and actuating rod are in the Locked position (1st detent from the top or 1st detent to the right of far left detent travel).
Most replacement switches are pinned in the OFF-LOCK position for installation purposes. If so, the pin MUST be removed after installation or damage may occur.
  1. Install the activating rod into the ignition switch and assemble the switch onto the steering column. Once the switch is properly positioned, tighten the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers to 35 inch lbs. (4.0 Nm).
CAUTION
When installing the ignition switch, use only the specified screws since over length screws could impair the collapsibility of the column.
  1. Install the dimmer switch and the steering column support bracket.
  2. Align and install the lock cylinder set.
  3. Push the lock cylinder all the way in, then carefully install the retaining screw. Tighten the screw to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm) on tilt columns or to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm) on standard non-tilt columns.
  4. If necessary, install the buzzer switch assembly.
  5. Reposition and secure the turn signal switch assembly
  6. Raise the column into position and secure, then install any necessary trim plates.
  7. Make sure the ignition is OFF, then connect the negative battery cable.
1995-99 Vehicles

See Figure 1
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the ignition and key alarm switch
  1. Remove the column shroud halves.
  2. Remove the column-to-dash attaching bolts and slowly lower the steering column, making sure that it is supported.
  3. Remove the multifunction switch if necessary.
  4. Remove the key alarm switch, if equipped by gently prying the alarm switch retaining clip with a small screwdriver. Rotate the alarm switch 1/4 in. (6mm) turn and remove.
WARNING
Extreme care is necessary to prevent damage to the collapsible column.
  1. Make sure that the switch is in the LOCK position. If the lock cylinder is out, pull the switch rod up to the stop, then go down one detent.
  2. Remove the two screws and the switch.
To install:
  1. Before installation, make sure the switch is in the LOCK position.
  2. Install the switch using the original screws. Tighten the screws to 12 inch. lbs. (1.4 Nm).
  3. Install the key alarm switch, if equipped . Make sure the retaining clip is parallel to the lock cylinder. Rotate the alarm switch 1/4 in. (6mm) turn until locked in place.
  4. Install the multifunction switch if removed.
CAUTION
Use of screws that are too long could prevent the column from collapsing on impact.
  1. Replace the column. Tighten the nuts to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm); the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
  2. Install the column shroud halves.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 AM   #3

Wow, thats exactly what I was needing.

Don't look to bad to do.

thanks

Old 05-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
NOBAMA NOBAMA

looks a lil harder than it actually is
Old 08-17-2008, 05:43 AM   #5

User is: Online

does anyone have a part number for that ignition and key alarm switch? i am having trouble locating it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by 96Dropped-dime
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1994 Vehicles

For anti-theft reasons, the ignition switch is located on top of the steering column assembly and is completely inaccessible without first lowering the steering column. The switch is actuated by a rod and rack assembly. A gear on the end of the lock cylinder engages the toothed upper end of the actuator rod.
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the lower column trim panel, then remove the steering column-to-instrument panel fasteners and carefully lower the column for access to the switch.
  3. Remove the turn signal switch from the column and allow it to hang from the wires (leaving them connected). For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
  4. Remove the buzzer switch assembly.
  5. Carefully remove the lock cylinder screw and the lock cylinder. If possible, use a magnetic tipped screwdriver on the screw in order to help prevent the possibility of dropping it.
CAUTION
If the screw is dropped upon removal, it could fall into the steering column, requiring complete disassembly in order to retrieve the screw and prevent damage.
  1. Unfasten the steering column support bracket assembly hex head bolts and remove the bracket.
  2. Unfasten the dimmer switch assembly screws and remove the switch.
  3. Place the ignition switch in the OFF-LOCK position.
  4. Remove the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers, then remove the assembly.
To install:
  1. Before installing the ignition switch, place it in the OFF-LOCK position, then make sure that the lock cylinder and actuating rod are in the Locked position (1st detent from the top or 1st detent to the right of far left detent travel).
Most replacement switches are pinned in the OFF-LOCK position for installation purposes. If so, the pin MUST be removed after installation or damage may occur.
  1. Install the activating rod into the ignition switch and assemble the switch onto the steering column. Once the switch is properly positioned, tighten the ignition switch-to-steering column retainers to 35 inch lbs. (4.0 Nm).
CAUTION
When installing the ignition switch, use only the specified screws since over length screws could impair the collapsibility of the column.
  1. Install the dimmer switch and the steering column support bracket.
  2. Align and install the lock cylinder set.
  3. Push the lock cylinder all the way in, then carefully install the retaining screw. Tighten the screw to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm) on tilt columns or to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm) on standard non-tilt columns.
  4. If necessary, install the buzzer switch assembly.
  5. Reposition and secure the turn signal switch assembly
  6. Raise the column into position and secure, then install any necessary trim plates.
  7. Make sure the ignition is OFF, then connect the negative battery cable.
1995-99 Vehicles

See Figure 1
Fig. 1: Exploded view of the ignition and key alarm switch
  1. Remove the column shroud halves.
  2. Remove the column-to-dash attaching bolts and slowly lower the steering column, making sure that it is supported.
  3. Remove the multifunction switch if necessary.
  4. Remove the key alarm switch, if equipped by gently prying the alarm switch retaining clip with a small screwdriver. Rotate the alarm switch 1/4 in. (6mm) turn and remove.
WARNING
Extreme care is necessary to prevent damage to the collapsible column.
  1. Make sure that the switch is in the LOCK position. If the lock cylinder is out, pull the switch rod up to the stop, then go down one detent.
  2. Remove the two screws and the switch.
To install:
  1. Before installation, make sure the switch is in the LOCK position.
  2. Install the switch using the original screws. Tighten the screws to 12 inch. lbs. (1.4 Nm).
  3. Install the key alarm switch, if equipped . Make sure the retaining clip is parallel to the lock cylinder. Rotate the alarm switch 1/4 in. (6mm) turn until locked in place.
  4. Install the multifunction switch if removed.
CAUTION
Use of screws that are too long could prevent the column from collapsing on impact.
  1. Replace the column. Tighten the nuts to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm); the bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
  2. Install the column shroud halves.

I changed mine out and now it wont start at all, the dash stays lit up without the key in also. I tried using an Autozone part first, then I got an OEM one, and then tried my old one again. None work, the truck starts every-time and shuts off instantly. No clue what It could be, trucks been sitting for two months. Not as easy as it sounds for sure.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by Mjb5128
I changed mine out and now it wont start at all, the dash stays lit up without the key in also. I tried using an Autozone part first, then I got an OEM one, and then tried my old one again. None work, the truck starts every-time and shuts off instantly. No clue what It could be, trucks been sitting for two months. Not as easy as it sounds for sure.
I am having similar problems....my truck was stolen, and recovered...thies screwed up ignition, I changed the lock cylinder. started a few seconds then died.....??? I just keep reading about the PASSLOCK system.... hoping to find another fix (the turn key to "on" for 1/2 hour trick didnt work either)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.