How to replace rear main seal in 4.3 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How to replace rear main seal in 4.3

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 PM   #1

How to replace rear main seal in 4.3

I'm changing the clutch in my 97 S-10 4wd (big job) and thought I'd replace rear main seal. The seal doesn't look like it's leaking around the crankshaft, but it looks like the housing it's in leaks near oil pan. There are some bolts I could take off but it looks like I could just pry out the seal. What's the best way to do this and not make things worse. I definitely don't want to do this take this transmission/transfer case out again.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #2

Re: How to replace rear main seal in 4.3

the best way to do it is to remove the oil pan and take the rear main off. chances are that it will leak if you do it as described. you could try it and it wouldn't hurt if you did, but it would probably still leak. what i do is take it all apart and place some rtv on the outer surface of the rear main seal. i will also put a line of weatherstripping adhesive on the outer edge of the block to provide a seal between the block and rear main. that way there are 0 leaks when you put it all together, as long as you do a good job w/the oil pan gasket. I use rtv on the cork and in the corners where the rubber c-shaped gaskets sit.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Registered (Ab) User

User is: OffLine

Why would you pull the oil pan to replace the seal? The '97 is a one piece seal, isn't it? I thought that you just pull the flywheel/flexplate, pry the old seal out and put a new one in (with RTV or an appropriate sealer around the OD)

Are you saying that doing it this way will leak? Where would it leak?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #4

yep, it's one piece. the seal itself won't leak. without seeing it, it sounds like something else is going on as well- which is usually the case. chances are the oil pan gaskets are leaking or there is some oil leaking between the surfaces of the block/rear main.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #5

There are two seals for the one piece rear main. One goes between the block and the adapter housing. The other one goes into the the housing and around the crankshaft.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #6

In case somebody else was wondering how to do this, I ended up just prying out the seal. Put a little silicone around outside edge and put the new one in. Did not have to take off the bolts on the retainer or whatever it's called.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by clhughart
In case somebody else was wondering how to do this, I ended up just prying out the seal. Put a little silicone around outside edge and put the new one in. Did not have to take off the bolts on the retainer or whatever it's called.
Update: As of today, still no leaks, but man I don't ever want to replace that clutch again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.