Heater core replacement procedure '99 S10? - Page 2 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Heater core replacement procedure '99 S10?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #51

Re: Heater core replacement procedure '99 S10?

WOW this is awesome! 98 S10 I just bought needs a new core and its FREAKING COLD!!! I also have the blessing of COLD COLD air lightly blowing through my vents while driving down the highway, does not appear that the controls for the vent distribution work as it does not change anything when I move from one extreme to the other ( MAX A\C to Def ). So that is something else I get to look at. Gotta love buying a used toy lol
Old 12-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #52

Just wanted to add to the thank-you! I just finished my second heater core replacement. The first time I had the dealer diagrams and what a pain they were to follow! The pictures here were much better! For anyone else doing this I took way to much stuff off the dash! You dont need to. leave the instrument cluster,heating and A/C controls in place. Just find all the plugs behind and pull only them.

Also I was told by a garage manager?Mechanic to ground the core. Something about electrolysis? or something like that. Basically the core ends up with a charge that weakens the metal and seams etc.... I know, sounds funny but after doing this twice in three years it aint gonna hurt!

THANKS AGAIN!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #53
00' S10 Owner

User is: OffLine

12 hours!!

With not knowing pretty much anything about how to change a core, I will say this guide helped a lot. Granted there were still a few issues I had, Dr Evils guide helped keep me from removing unnecessary parts. Things like not draining the anti-freeze, not removing the HVAC controls and instrument cluster, were big help!

The hardest part was finding and removing the center bolt from the engine bay, going into the center of the 'black box'. That and the putting the inner fender back into place was a pain...

All in all, I bet if I did it again I could easily half the time to 6 hours and get it done in one day. The screw and bolt hunting was the majority of it.

Oh and next time I won't forget to hook up the gray driver side vacuum hose and the twin 12v power outlets...
Old 12-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #54

Are these the same steps taken for a 94 s10 2.2 none AC truck??
mine has started leaking & its cold out..
Old 12-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #55

will72rupp, probably since most all is the same anyways...go for it!
git er done!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #56
Slowly but eventually

Thank you for this how to. I just go thru finishing up doing this to my wife's 96 Jimmy, once again you guys have saved me a ton of money.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #57

Any other info or tips/experience with an '03 because it looks almost nothing like Dr. Evil's pictures.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #58

I just bought a 96 and the heater core is out, so this is going to be soo very helpfull.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #59
Ticket Magnet

Quote: Originally Posted by 1996 4.3
I just bought a 96 and the heater core is out, so this is going to be soo very helpfull.
Yours will not require any tinkering with the blower box. It can all be done from the inside.

BTW...when you put the core in, apply a generous amount of silicone around the tubes where they attach to the core.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #60

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753

My write up for my 2003 S-10
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #61

Anyone near norther california want to help me?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #62
"Stroke Me"

Just changed the heater core on my 1994 S10 SS. Took 4 hours and I have officially popped my heater core cherry.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #63

For My___Nightmare,,
The grounding strap on the plastic dash is for static discharge. It helps prevent you from getting "sparked" when you touch the door handle, and helps a lot with radios having less static.
Sometimes the mounting bolts are on nylon clips, sometimes there's just too much paint. All the electrics you see from the drivers seat aren't grounded as a rule, so the grounding strap helps..
FYI..
Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #64
Independent

I am about to try this myself on my 03 Noma as the dealer told me 1500.00 for labour alone. My question is this, Do I need to drain the AC refrigerant? No one has said anything about that and everyone tells me I have to.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #65

Anything I can do to make sure the problem doesnt happen gain?
Old 07-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #66

Well, my son's 95 went out today. We bought it as a county surplus vehicle a while back. It was wrecked but it had 35K miles on it with the 4.3 engine. Not too bad for a '95. Probably didn't have the best of maintenace during its life but the $100 price tag was hard to pass up. Replaced EVERYTHING we could to bring it up to today then this happened. Got one estimate from an indeptendent shop (a GOOD shoP) of $685, parts and labor, so we're gonna bypass it for a while until we decide what to do. They say it's 5 hours labor plus parts. Looks like a big job but for that amount of scratch on a $100 truck it's hard to justify so we'll just take our time so we've bypassed it for a while. Seems to be a common problem, however. This link gave us a good idea of what has to be done, that's for sure, and I can't thank those who have posted for their assistance. Will keep you posted on what we eventually decide to do.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #67

Quote: Originally Posted by sonomaguy
I am about to try this myself on my 03 Noma as the dealer told me 1500.00 for labour alone. My question is this, Do I need to drain the AC refrigerant? No one has said anything about that and everyone tells me I have to.
Nope...
Old 07-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #68

Quote: Originally Posted by maniac
Anything I can do to make sure the problem doesnt happen gain?
Completely flush the coolant system and don't put Dexcool back in, just run Prestone or something...anything but Dexcool.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #69

Thumbs up Re: Heater core replacement 2000 S10 4.3L

I put some picture together to help understand how to replace the heater core of a 2000 S10 4.3L
That was my first time and took me 7 hours

NOTE
1. Mark each and every single screw use your own method or tape the screw with the panel.
2. Lower the shift on L1 so you do not damage anything
3. Safe yourself $800.00 or more
Old 09-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #70
Independent

Just finished doing mine today. It felt so great to finish and it cost me 120.00 for the new core, and not the 1300.00-1500.00 that 3 shops quote me. My only issue now is that the passenger air bag light stays on and I can not figure out why. Thanks to all here who wrote how to do this and posted it. Saved me a crap load of money so I bought and installed a sub and an amp with the money I saved. I almost feel like doing another one now, it was kind of fun.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #71

Thumbs up Re: Heater core replacement procedure '99 S10?

Quote: Originally Posted by sonomaguy
Just finished doing mine today. It felt so great to finish and it cost me 120.00 for the new core, and not the 1300.00-1500.00 that 3 shops quote me. My only issue now is that the passenger air bag light stays on and I can not figure out why. Thanks to all here who wrote how to do this and posted it. Saved me a crap load of money so I bought and installed a sub and an amp with the money I saved. I almost feel like doing another one now, it was kind of fun.
I have the same problem the air bag light stay on if you find the solution or any one please let me know i will appreciate thank you
Old 09-18-2011, 12:32 AM   #72

Good information here.

I don't see any mention of the A/C evaporator. I know it's mounted on the engine side of the firewall, but I am lead to believe that I need to remove the dash to change it. Can anybody advise me if I need to remove go through the process of removing the heater core to access the A/C evaporator.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2011, 01:35 AM   #73
Independent

Do you have a picture of what you need to change? I was told I had to remove AC stuff for the heater core repair but you don't.
And with the air bag light, I am putting the truck away in 1 week for winter so I will work on that repair next year, unless someone comes up with an answer sooner. Good to know I am not the only one with that issue.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #74

This may be way to easy but I was given a tip to try CLR (calcium, lime and rust remover) in the heater core before replacing. I was given a '00 Sonoma free partly because it had no heat and the owner was quoted $800 to replace the core.
I disconnected the heater hoses and joined them together with a reducing elbow as mentioned in previous posts. Then cut 2 pieces of clear vinyl tubing - clear so I could see what went in and came out. I hose clamped them to the heater core inlet and outlet. Same size tubing worked on both sides since it stretches enough to fit the bigger side. I cut them long enough so the tops were level with the top of the firewall to make sure it would fill the whole core.
To test the core, I poured CLR in one tube first and nothing came out the other one. Knowing it was plugged, I filled both tubes to the top with CLR and let the truck sit until the next weekend. I probably topped up the CLR partway thru the week whenever the level in the tubes dropped. At the end of the week, I drained the CLR. It came out cloudy and crusty looking. Then I took some coolant and poured it through one of the tubes. It flowed right out the other tube. So I flushed a bit more coolant thru to rinse the CLR and then reconnected the heater hoses, topped up the coolant reservoir and I have heat. It has been 8 months now and I still have heat.
I didn't know about purging the air from the system so the heater gurgles when I accelerate so I would add purge the air from the system to these instructions. I still have to get back to do that. But it worked! About an hour total labor, a few bucks for CLR and tubing and a week sitting around drinking beer. If you cap the vinyl tubing, you could still drive the truck while waiting for the CLR to work.
Seemed way too easy at first but it worked! I don't know if the core is completely opened up inside but it gives more than enough heat and this is easy enough to repeat if it needs more cleaning out. I worried the CLR might eat right thru if the core was really bad inside but so far no leaks and no coolant smell in the cab.
So, if you have no heat and you don't want to spend hours removing the dash try CLR first. If it doesn't work, you don't spend much to find out for sure you need to rip out the dash and if it does work you save yourself lots of time.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #75
Independent

That wouldn't have worked for me as after I pulled the heater, it leaked all over the ground. I knew it had a hole then.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #76

It snowing outside so i plugged up a heater in my truck. now im taking the laptop out there to read and take apart.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #77

2003 S10 Heater core.. well I guess its my turn. Heater core is on order, so we'll do some prep work. Thanks to all for the write ups. I'll post back the conclusion.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #78
takes 2 balls in our game

Its not to bad, just take your time and REMEMBER where the stuff goes!!! The dash is kinda heavy(akward) but it can be done . . . .Be careful not to crack the dash !
Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #79

Well that job is behind me. I did the job with my lap top nearby so references could be made to the procedure. My 17 year old daughter helped picking up the dash. Before I fill it with the coolant, I'll do a flush. Some pretty nasty stuff came out.
A big thanks here to all.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #80
Independent

It was such a good feeling after I finished to know that I saved so much cash by doing it myself, so I became a lifetime never here.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #81

how do you purge the air from the system? ive tried everything i can think of and still gurgling... mostly i just turn the tunes up and forget about it but i definitely wanna get rid of that sound
Old 12-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #82
Independent

I didn't do anything, just filled it with anti freeze, left the rad cap off, and started it. As it ran and got hot and the thermostat opened, I would top up the rad. I kept fluid in the overflow and checked it every time I went out. Topped it up as needed and all was fine. Not sure what to say as it was so easy for me.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #83

well i think the heater core is leaking then, b/c thats what i did do, and it was fine for about a day... so i guess i'll be doing the heater core swap
Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #84

Hey everybody. I'm a new user and I must say, I'm enjoying the forum you guys have going on here. I own a Nissan Hardbody and all the forums are dead or very close to dead. :'(

anyways, I joined this forum because I drive my dad's 2000 Sonoma 4.3l frequently enough, and the rest of the time, I'm in my friends 97 S10 4.3l.

I had a few questions about the heater core situation. My friend had to replace his a few months back and that was the mother of all jobs. He definitely didn't have this guide for sure.

What are the symptoms of a failing/failed heater core? I know the obvious is coolant all over your floor, but what else?
If your truck has no heat, and isn't obviously clogged, is the heater core to blame?
If so ^^, does that mean it's broken and needs replacing?
What is the failure rate? I read probably 50 of the 85 posts on this thread and it seems like it WILL happen. Is it hit or miss, or 100% chance?
Are any 2nd gen models exempt? I see that it affects S10s, Sonomas, and even Crew cabs. Oh and the SUVs. Is anybody safe?
I saw that someone blamed DexCool. Is there any prevention?

I'm asking these questions because my dad's Sonoma has 140k not so well maintained miles on it. He's the original owner and, to be honest, he completely beats the shit out of it. Recently, the heat stopped working abruptly. He thought the heater core was clogged. That didn't make sense to me, but whatever. He said he flushed it out, and refilled it with water. When he refilled it, it worked again, but only for about 30mins or the first drive. When he start it back up, no heat. He is going to flush it again and replace it with antifreeze, but what are the odds that the heater core is shot?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #85
Vig Pimpin

sounds like there is just air in the system... btw, prob better to start a new thread.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #86

got any good researchers here? seems to me, that there should have been a recall on the S-10 heater core. mine went out 1 week after warranty. just wondering if anyone ever thought of that angle. mine was the first year of the pink coolant crap.

also, i think there must be a trick to this. the dealership i took mine too had it replaced in 2 hours. i know the guys that do it for a living are faster , but 2 hours? mine is a 98. there must be a trick. im good now, this was years ago. i remember askin a shade tree mechanic how hard it was, before i went to the dealer, he turned white as a ghost and said, you could not pay me enough to change it, lol.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #87

this thread is very helpful. thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #88
SSRT-S10

Quote: Originally Posted by AWD V8
Good information here.

I don't see any mention of the A/C evaporator. I know it's mounted on the engine side of the firewall, but I am lead to believe that I need to remove the dash to change it. Can anybody advise me if I need to remove go through the process of removing the heater core to access the A/C evaporator.

Thanks

The last one I did on a newer mdl s10 was fairly easy. I removed all the screws located around the edge of the box(the heat cover nearest engine) (the part facing toward front of truck and the ones nearest to the engine. Also must say the ones behind v/c are a total bitch to get to but if the p/s v/c is removed.., makes it soo much simpler..(i got the edelbrock v/c's..)) and then drained a/c.., I removed the p.s whell, the inner fender cover, and then removed the lines from the evap. then removed the strap that was holding it in. and then slid that puppy out. I reversed the steps but I didnt unscrew the caps that were on the new one until I was ready to bolt on the dryer/accumulator. (to keep dirt and dust out of system)Then I added some oil in the dryer., and finished installing the lines,screws, inner fender, tire. I then vaccumned it out with a evac system.., then checked it for leaks thru the machine. (if not use of a machine.., I havve heard of ppl adding air and/or pressurizing the system and then spraying it with soapy water to find any leaks.)

once done and no leaks.., vacumn it again if needed.., and redo the freon back into it.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #89
SSRT-S10

Quote: Originally Posted by allenx1966
got any good researchers here? seems to me, that there should have been a recall on the S-10 heater core. mine went out 1 week after warranty. just wondering if anyone ever thought of that angle. mine was the first year of the pink coolant crap.

also, i think there must be a trick to this. the dealership i took mine too had it replaced in 2 hours. i know the guys that do it for a living are faster , but 2 hours? mine is a 98. there must be a trick. im good now, this was years ago. i remember askin a shade tree mechanic how hard it was, before i went to the dealer, he turned white as a ghost and said, you could not pay me enough to change it, lol.

One of the only bulletins I found on anything related to the HVAC system in a 99 s10 was the following:

Subject:Repeat HVAC Actuator Replacements - keywords door cool heat mode temperature #PIT4427 - (06/15/2007)

Models:2003-2007 HUMMER H2, SUT
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
1999 -2007 GMC Serria Classic
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT
2000-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer Models
2002-2007 GMC Envoy Models
2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2005-2007 Saab 9-7X
1998-2004 Chevrolet S/T Classic Blazer and S10 Pickup
1998-2004 GMC S/T Classic Jimmy and Sonoma
1998-2007 Oldsmobile Bravada
2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR

This PI Being Updated To Add Additional Model Years. Please Discard PI02080.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A replacement HVAC actuators is inoperative or that has worked one time and quit. The HVAC control head learns the stopping points based on how far the HVAC DOOR travels. If the actuator reachs the mechanical stops on the back of the actuator it will be outside of the range that the HVAC control head can learn. If the actuator was not mounted to the HVAC case prior to plugging in its connector, the actuator will go out of range and be inoperative.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Always attach the HVAC actuator to the case before installing the electrical connector.

If an actuator is out of range it may be possible to bring it back into range by following the procedure below:
  1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Connect a 3 amp fused jumper wire between the actuator control circuit and the 5 volt reference circuit of the actuator connector.
  3. Remove the jumper wire and actuator connector when the actuator is at the center position.
  4. If the actuator doesn't move in step 2. Try installing the jumper wire from control circuit and the ground circuit of the actuator.
  5. With the actuator in the center position, install the actuator to the hvac case and secure the mounting screws and then connect the actuator connector.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #90
SSRT-S10

Quote: Originally Posted by little88sdime
how do you purge the air from the system? ive tried everything i can think of and still gurgling... mostly i just turn the tunes up and forget about it but i definitely wanna get rid of that sound

What I did to fix this issue on a customers truck. He had the same complaints as you are stating. Constant gurguling from coolant system. What I did was make a trip to salvage yard to find a 98-99 cavilier and cut the metal pipe that has the bleeder screw made into it (2-3inches past the bleeder screw on both sides). It will slide into either the 5/8 hose or the 3/4 hose(cant remember which one.) I had a flaring tool to make a small flare on each end to make it so the hose would never slide past that point. I then replaced all the rubber hose and new clamps to where they needed to go..(new heater hoses makes this alot neater and better deal of a job.)

During the refill process, I removed the screw and filled it till it started shooting coolant out of it. Then I ran engine until temp got up to halfway..., then open bleeder slowly till all I got was straight coolant out of it. I then refilled system. I did this twice after this. Whallah!! No more gurgling noises for customer. They gave me a $20.00 tip for this idea and to this day still brag about it.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #91

I would really apreciate looking at the pictures you have for heater core replacement. Mine is not leaking yet, but it is a 98 that has not been changed, and I plan to keep the truck a while. I have had two others and they both leaked, but I sold them before I had to fix them. Also since you are an old dealer mech....Have you ever added cruise control on a s10 that came from the factory without it?.....I would want to use all gm stuff from another vehicle. Tks for your time
Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #92

First off, thank you very much to all of the people who have posted their ideas and suggestions about this topic. It has saved me a lot of time and money! I just wanted to post about my experience with the "No heat" problem with 98-02 Sonomas.

I bought a '99 Sonoma earlier this year for my son. It has had 3 previous owners, so I really have no idea how well it has been maintained. About a week ago, my son complained that the heater and defroster weren't working. (We are in Boise, ID, so the nights are starting to get nippy this time of year) I got online and started going through these threads. Here is what I did to solve my problem, start to finish:

1) I checked the blend door actuator to see if it was working. I did this by opening up the glove box and releasing the springloaded catch, which allows the glove box to swing all the way down, giving me access to the area behind it. You can then see the blend door actuator sitting on the top right side of the heater box. With the key in the "On" position, turn the heat control from full cold to full hot. As you do this, shine a flashlight on the blend door actuator, specifically on the rod the actuator is connected to, which goes directly down into the heater box. Make sure this rod is actually turning. If it is not turning, chances are you have a bad blend door actuator. (You can change this actuator without removing the dash, but it is tricky. See some of the other posts here about how to do that.)

2) Going under the hood, I removed the blower motor resistor. This part is located just to the left of where the heater core water hoses go through the firewall, on top of the black plastic case (not sure what this piece is called, but you get the idea). When you remove the resistor, you can actually see the blend door. Once again, with the key in the "On" position, turn the temperature control knob to full cold. Note the position of the door. Then turn the temp control knob to full hot. If the door has moved, you know that part of the system is intact, and the blend door/actuator are working and doing their job. (If you move quick enough, you can actually see the door move. Or you can just have someone else turn the knob while you watch- that way, you don't have to put down your beer)

3)The next thing I did was take the truck down to Meineke and had the radiator fluid changed and the system flushed. I could have done this myself, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle, cleanup, disposal of old fluid, etc. Apparently, the fluid hadn't been changed since the truck was brand new. The manager said the fluid was in the top 10 dirtiest radiator fluids he had ever seen! I asked if he flushed the heater core directly, and he said he hadn't because their machine couldn't hook up directly to the heater core connections. (I think this is BS, but I haven't seen the machine, so...) Anyway, he told me to run the truck for a couple of days and see what happens. He also quoted me a flat $1000 to change the heater core, if required. That seems in line with what everyone else is saying here.

4) A few days later, still no heat. So I decided to flush the heater core directly myself. I did this by following the water hoses from the heater core to their connection points on the engine block. I disconnected them from the block, and then took a garden hose with spray nozzle attachement and sprayed first into one hose, allowing the water to flow freely out the other end, and then doing the other hose. I got quite a bit of orange junk (solidified Dexcool) out of there the first couple of times. I then did each side again, this time pulsing the spray nozzle in short bursts to get more pressure through there. On one of these pulses, a BIG batch of hardened Dexcool came out. After 6-9 times of doing this, I reconnected the hoses, refilled the coolant, and started it back up.

I decided to go for a drive to help the coolant warm up faster. During this little test drive, the temperature gauge started climbing past the normal midrange. I didn't want to be caught too far from home in case of an overheat, so I went back to the house. I stopped out front, and let the engine idle. The temp gauge continued to climb up to just short of redline. It stayed there for about 2 minutes, and then suddenly dropped right back to the normal midrange. During this whole test drive, the heat would come and go, but would never remain steady, hot or cold. I was thinking that I didn't have the problem fixed. Then, after the temp went up to redline, hung there, and then came back down, the heat started coming out full bore!

Ultimately, I think it was just a clogged heater core (which, when the junk came loose, got temporarily hung up in the thermostat, causing a near overheat). This has fixed the problem for now, but I'm sure I've got a heater core change coming in the future- hopefully a few years from now. But, armed with the knowledge from this chat board, the job will be a cakewalk.

Once again, thank you to all of the people who have posted on here. It is really cool to see regular people helping other regular people, and keeping us all from getting screwed by the dealerships!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #93
Solid Axle MOD

That is worth the read. nice work getting it figured out.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #94

I recently finished changing out the core on my '01, but I ended up with a bigger problem. The engine keeps stalling and I'm almost certain it's a vacuum leak. I replaced two of the 3 hoses that connect at the upper-right under the hood (I skipped on replacing the one that goes to the vacuum canister for now since it's just rotted, but not broken or leaking from what I can tell), but no luck.

I'm hearing a hiss in the cab that I'm pretty sure wasn't there before, and it changes whenever I play with the AC controls. I'm pretty sure I did something, but I'm not sure what

I took this before reassembling the dash, and I'm not sure if the gap you can see at the top there matters.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #95

Quote: Originally Posted by greencountry05
I am buying a 2001 S10 4x4 ext cab the heater does work, I will take a mental note of this for sure!

I cannot understand why the manufacturer does not make this easier to replace???
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #96

Bumping this for great justice, and because I am doing the core in my 2001 Jimmy Saturday.

Now, my questions are as follows:

1: Are the 99 and 2001 models the same? Or are the 2001/2003 models the same? I would hope I can take the "shortcuts" and not spend 10 hours on this if possible.
2: Am I going to have to mess with the AC? I have read a couple conflicting stories on this, I don't think I will... but since I have your attention lets verify that huh?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 PM   #97
Independent

I did not have to touch anything on my AC when I did my 03. It depends on how you wish to take it apart. You can take apart the AC to make it easier, but it takes longer and is more costly.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #98

I would like to get this done in the first 3/4 of the day Sat. I have plans with a ladyfriend lol...

So then I am looking at the 2003 "guide" the one guy posted on another site? Seems a bit lacking on details in general. My Haynes manual goes to 2001, but doesnt mention anything about working from the engine bay side of the firewall.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #99

Oh, and am I going to need a replacement blower motor resistor for this once I cut the old one out, seeing as it's a Jimmy and not an S-10/Sonoma?

Or is there an easy way to affix the cut out one back in there that doesn't involve epoxy lol
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #100
Independent

Follow the guide that's here, I did, it works. As for the resistor, mine unscrewed, so I am not sure why you need to epoxy it back, just screwed mine back in. Lastly, do not rush, if you do not have time to do it with some spare time left over, you may push yourself and make it worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.