Hard to turn the steering wheel. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Hard to turn the steering wheel.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #1

Hard to turn the steering wheel.

Hey guys been a while since I had an issue with my truck, but on my 96 S10 the steering requires a bit of effort to turn. To turn to the right is easier but turning to the left I need to use both hands almost. I thought this was normal but I drove a blazer and that steering was like a 70s car compared to mine. I noticed my tires are almost bald and aren't even the right size for my rims was wondering if that might have a part in this. Thanks guys.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #2

User is: Online
Re: Hard to turn the steering wheel.

Mismatched tire size could make a small difference. With the font wheels in the air it should turn easy both ways if the tires were the problem. I doubt that's you problem.

Power steering? If so the box may be screwed up and you are not getting assist in one direction. With the front wheels off the ground it should steer easy both directions with the engine off, but with the engine running it may not. If that is the case then the box is bad.

I don't think it would be a ball joint or tie rod end, I would think it would steer hard in both directions in that case.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

User is: OffLine

Get the front end in the air and watch the front end while someone turns the steering wheel from side to side.

Dont know what you will see but it beats watching TV.

If you didnt see anything out of the ordinary look at the PS pump for oil inside, leaks, and hoses. Again with someone turning the wheel back and forth with the engine running look for leaky hoses. With the front end up in the air and you underneath look for dripping oil.

Tell us what happens.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #4

Sounds like my 83 Cavalier. The rack was shot. I had to wrestle it into the driveway one afternoon and once I did, I couldn't get the wheels back to center. I pulled a used one from a local junk yard, cussed my way through the installation and got it aligned. Never had another problem with it. Good luck with your trouble shooting.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice, I guess the only real question is, do I have a possible issue, or is this normal for the S10s.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

No,it's not normal. You have a problem.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #7

I agree with zfixerchic that the problem is in the rack.

If there is a rack and its not recirc ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.