Fuse keeps blowing - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Fuse keeps blowing

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Question Fuse keeps blowing

on my 95 sonoma i have sirius satilite radio ran to my 12 volt cig liter plug and it keeps blowing fuses. it calls for a 20 amp so i thought maybe i would put a bigger one to keep it from blowing but now its gotten so bad that i cant even get the fuse all the way in before it blows.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
Electrical Mod

User is: OffLine
Re: Fuse keeps blowing

If you keep blowing fuses, don't put larger fuses in. Something is defiantly wrong and shorting.

Putting larger fuses in only increases the chance of frying the wiring. So how did you hook up the sirius? Is it hard wired or does it use the cig light plug? Unplug the sirius and put the fuse in, does it blow? I don't see any reson the sirius would pull any power hardly at all. So you have a short somewhere. Have you changed anything in your dash recently?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #3

no i havnt changed anything and if i do unplug the sirius and put the fuse in as soon as i cut the sirius on it blow. and the sirius has a plug for the cig liter plug.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Electrical Mod

That's wierd, I've never heard of them pulling that much power. Have you tried plugging it into a nother vehicle. See if it happens there too? Because right now it sounds as if the sirius is bad or has a short in the wiring.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #5

i havnt but i also didnt think about it. but i meen it is very possible cuz 3 prior to this one have went bad. but i will try it but if i have problems still ill be back on here. thanks
Old 04-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Electrical Mod

Good luck to you. The only other way it could blow the fuse is if there's already a large draw on the fuse and that pushes it over the edge per say. But the cig fuse only controls the cig lighter/acc. and the OBD connector.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #7

the fuse that it blow is the horn, intirior light, and cig plug. i guess there could be a problem in one of those but ive never had a problem so i dont no why it would occur now.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Electrical Mod

Ok, I was assuming you meant the two auxiliary outlets on some trucks.

The Pwr Aux. Fuse number 7 (25A) controls the Data LInk Connector and the Power Auxiliary Outlets.

But you meant fuse number 2, Horn/DM (20A).

It controls any of the following, depending on submodel.
Horn
Courtesy lamps
Glove box lamp
Cigarette Lighter
Dome lamp
vanity mirror lamps
rearview mirror lamps
keyless entry module

So my bad on that call. But still, somethings not right since it only blows the fuse when you plug it in. Although I've never trusted using cig lighter outlets for aux. outlets.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
rolling work in progress

does the sirius plug have a fuse in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.