Fuel tank replacement - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Fuel tank replacement

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Fuel tank replacement

Hi All!

'96 Chevy S10 LS 4.3L...

The gas tank is rusted pretty bad to where it is porous and gas was seeping out on to the tank shield and then dripping on the ground. So I have a new gas tank, a service manual, and the haynes manual but damn I can't reach all these places!

So far I have:

- Depressurized the fuel system via the fuel test port.
- Unloosened the clamps for the filler hose on the tank side and vapor hose (I can't get them off, no room to yank!)
- Removed tank shield.

Looks like I need to start disconnecting fuel lines but how do I get these dang filler hose tubes off the tank side? The Haynes manual has a bunch of nice pictures that look easy to access. wts? That's not my trunk, the frame is all in the way. How the heck to reach the fuel lines when they are above the tank? I searched around and should I remove the bed for tank removal Seems to replace fuel filter people are doing that...

"Disconnect roll-over valve on front and back of tank" - These must be up top too, Yet to see them.

If I do need to lift the bed, Do I need to remove my bed completely or can I lift a corner up? I got a bunch of junk in the back I couldn't haul away because of the tank being jacked.

Any help greatly appreciated!

- Mike
Old 05-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
It's "Neanderthal"

Re: Fuel tank replacement

You can remove the bed completely, tip up the drivers' side (that's what I do - loosen the passengers' side bolts and disconnect wiring at the rear of frame), or cut an access hole in the bed floor. Dropping the tank down is probably the hardest way.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #3

Thanks SH-60B! Had help tilting the bed up and that made things much easier to get everything disconnected and the old tank out!

now that I have access to all this, what should I replace while I'm here?

Looks like I have quick connectors on the fuel lines going to the fuel pump. To disconnect, I just had to depress tabs and pull. are there any o-rings in those lines I should replace?

What is the little black box to the rear of the gas tank mounted on the frame? Fuel lines go to it and then the pump...

The straps look ok although the tape type stuff is all gooey and stuck on the frame so I've been scraping it off. The frame had a think layer of grease on it and while I was scraping the tape I scraped some of it off too, should I reapply a grease layer for corrosion protection on the cross bar of the frame (the gas tank sits under)?

Should I replace my fuel pump? I haven't priced them yet. I was definitely going to replace the filter on the pump.

What else should I be doing with all this disconnected?

Thanks as always!

- Mike
Old 06-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #4

Where do I get new strap tape stuff?
Also, everything on here looks original. 160k miles on the pump as far as I can tell.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #5

Damn, fuel pump is $$$. Not my daily driver so the current fuel pump will be put back in and unsed until it dies.

So going to replace the fuel filter.
looks like that box behind the tank is a fuel vapor canister and it has a filter, i guess I'll change that.

They don't sell a new fuel strainer, so will search around for how to go about cleaning it

still not sure about the grease on the frame or where I get that strap tape stuff that was on the tank / frame.

Any help is appreciated!

- Mike
Old 06-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #6

If you have any old bicycle tubes laying around, or thin rubber, you could cut it to replace the tar paper between the tank straps and the tank, it's only there so you don't have metal to metal contact.

As for the strainer, brakleen or carb cleaner would be your best bet.

The "grease" on the frame might be oil soaked undercoating.

Just went through the same exact thing myself, damn plastic stone guard.....be sure to cut louvers or at least drill holes in the plastic stone guard, before you re-install it.

-Artie
Old 06-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #7

Thanks for the response, this is exactly what happened to me, dirt fell between cab and bed, sat against tank and rusted it through. Definitely cutting some groves in the tank shield, how big did you make them? was thinking of doing 1/4"?

- Mike
Old 06-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #8

I drew a little diagram of how I did mine. I cut three two inch slots with a dremel. Then used a #2 Phillips (or any 1/4" od. screwdriver) to open the slot. Then, use a heat gun to heat the plastic and slide the screwdriver to the end of the slot, hold the screwdriver there until it cools, then repeat.

Don't know why GM didn't do that when they built it.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel tank replacement-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #9

Thanks for the image. I like that better than just cutting slots which what I was originally going to do. Appreciate it.

- mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.