drive shaft question - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

drive shaft question

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
LOG

User is: OffLine
drive shaft question

ok so i have this weird clanging sound under my 2002 s10 and from what i found is this collar looking thing like in this pic came off and is making all noise. what the heck is it for?
can i just pull the drive shaft off and remove that thing and keep driving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #2

Re: drive shaft question

LOL do you have four wheel drive? Your truck shouldn't be moving if that came off because that's what transmits power to your rear wheels/ axle, it's called a U joint
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
LOG

nope 2wd thats not my part its a pic i found to show what my problem is. my drive shaft is fine had u joints done 6 months ago. its the weirdest thing. its the collar part in the pic.
im still driving my truck the only thing was that collar thing was slappin around, couldnt see any place it come off of didnt know if it was part of the tail end of the transmission or not,

i was able to slide it up on the tail end of the transmission out of the way of the drive shaft and no more noise.

im guessing its not vital ive been hearing the noise for a week and have drove it that way till i got a day off to look at it. it drives fine now no noise was just wondering what it was for and if i needed it lol.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

That's just to keep crap out of the seal, many trucks don't even have one.

It won't really hurt to get rid of it.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
LOG

thnks was hoping it wasnt needed.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
WTFWBJD

It's a vibration damper and as far as I know only the 5 speed trucks got them. I've never had one fall apart on me so I don't know what it could effect in the long run. I'm sure GM had a reason for putting it there though otherwise they wouldn't have put money into the part.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
LOG

yea thats what i found out its a vibration damper its runs fine no vibration at all even at 100 mph so for now i'll just zip tie it out of the way till i can get the $$ to get it replaced. odd it just started doing it out of the blue, i just did front wheel bearings,brakes,calipers and replaced the shocks all the way around in the last 2 weeks. well on to my next project replacing my power steering hose, return line leaks, then on to new speakers and stereo.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
WTFWBJD

At least drop the driveshaft and remove the broken piece rather than ziptying to something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.