Chevy S10 transmission - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Chevy S10 transmission

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #1

Chevy S10 transmission

I have an automatic 99 or 2000 chevy s-10, with 189k miles, and the transmission is failing, cant reverse, (acts as neutral) and doesnt shift into gears as quickly. Should I keep it?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #2
Tech Mod

User is: OffLine
Re: Chevy S10 transmission

depends on the condition of the truck. if the body is straight, no major dents or rust, general good mechanical order (minus the trans) and if you like it come into consideration.

IMO i dont think a broken trans is a good reason to get rid of it. you probably wont get much out of it. you could swap a trans in relatively cheap. also there is the chance that its an electrical issue and not mechanical. Not sure if its a question that we can answer, but something you have to ask yourself.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #3

My automatic tranny has issues shifting into park. Everything else seems normal but when I try putting it into park it doesn't grab and sounds like I'm playin frickin' roulette or like I just spun the wheel on Wheel of Fortune. More often than not I have to put it into reverse and, as the trucks moving, shift back into park before it will catch. Obviously, even tho I'm barely moving when I do this, it's not at all good for my tranny and I wanna fix it asap. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
goin broke but n style

sounds like you need to adjust your cable.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by andy9
I have an automatic 99 or 2000 chevy s-10, with 189k miles, and the transmission is failing, cant reverse, (acts as neutral) and doesnt shift into gears as quickly. Should I keep it?
If the engine runs strong and there are no other issues, just rebuild or replace the transmission. It's cheaper than buying a new car.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #6

I say get it rebuilt if all else is well with the truck. When the monthly repair bills cost more than a newer truck payment, then maybe time to trade it out...
Old 03-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

Quote: Originally Posted by andy9
^if you live close or are willing to drive I got a auto trans from a '00 2.2 truck with 90k

For a nominal fee I can also install it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.