Bleeding Brakes on s10 with ABS - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Bleeding Brakes on s10 with ABS

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #1

Bleeding Brakes on s10 with ABS

Just put new brake lines on the s10 and have to bleed the brakes, I tried but couldnt get anything to come out, I know its because ABS brakes are funky and I dont want to take it to the dealer, any suggestions
Old 10-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #2

Re: Bleeding Brakes on s10 with ABS

you must have something in the line blocking it because even tough you have ABSit will bleed like normal.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Needs a clutch... BAD!

User is: OffLine

Old 10-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #4

I dont think thats the case, they are brand new brake lines
Old 10-24-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
SlammedSonoma96

It doesnt matter if you have ABS or not, the brakes all bleed the same. The only thing ABS does is react when you have the vehicle in motion and stomp the pedal. When bleeding there is no pressure change in the lines. Did you flush the master cylinder before changing the brake lines? If not, you probably have something in the line blocking the flow.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
LT. Morgan

is there nothing coming out? or just air?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 AM   #7

Just air
Old 10-25-2007, 06:29 AM   #8

didnt flush the master cylinder, thought it would be better not to bother it since i only replaced the back brakes. Could this be it?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #9
Ticket Magnet

Quote: Originally Posted by 984x4
didnt flush the master cylinder, thought it would be better not to bother it since i only replaced the back brakes. Could this be it?
Bench bleed the master.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 AM   #10
LT. Morgan

Quote: Originally Posted by 984x4
Just air
it may be that you just need to stay on one brake until you get all the air out of that line....this took several minutes when we changed my room mates master cylinder.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #11
goin broke but n style

start at the right rear brake and bleed until you get fluid and then move to the left. Work yourself closer to the master cyl. It may take a few minutes ot get all the air out. I have always gravity bleed my brakes b/c I do not have anybody else to help. Just open the bleeder and let gravity do the work. Works every time.

All brakes bleed the same. I does not matter what kind, type or brand ABS it has.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by S15vortecpwr
start at the right rear brake and bleed until you get fluid and then move to the left. Work yourself closer to the master cyl. It may take a few minutes ot get all the air out. I have always gravity bleed my brakes b/c I do not have anybody else to help. Just open the bleeder and let gravity do the work. Works every time.

All brakes bleed the same. I does not matter what kind, type or brand ABS it has.
Hey. I'm just new here and having the same problem.

1996 Sonoma SS that my son just bought. I've bled brakes lots of times (Including my 1965 Cobra replica I'm building) but this one has me stumped. I replaced the long line from front to rear and the driver's side rear line. When I bleed the brakes (starting at the passenger's side rear) i get a slight sputter of fluid and nothing else. When I tried a vacuum bleeder, it pulled spits of fluid but never got much. I've been trying for over a day and even tried gravity bleeding. The master was not off the truck and the lines were never off the master.

I'm thinking it might be something to do with the proportioning valve or ABS, but am pretty frustrated at this point. Any suggestions?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #13

Okay. I finally got it.

My son got to take it around the block and a stick of dynamite wouldn't take the smile off his face. You see he just got his license and the truck is in very nice shape. It has been sitting in a garage for 5 years though so there are a few things to do.

The truck is the SS version so it is lowered and has the wide wheels and tires. I'd say from the way it pulls off the start it probably has a higher ratio rear end too. I'll bet that 4.3 will guzzle gas though.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #14
Ticket Magnet

Quote: Originally Posted by Questor
Okay. I finally got it.

My son got to take it around the block and a stick of dynamite wouldn't take the smile off his face. You see he just got his license and the truck is in very nice shape. It has been sitting in a garage for 5 years though so there are a few things to do.

The truck is the SS version so it is lowered and has the wide wheels and tires. I'd say from the way it pulls off the start it probably has a higher ratio rear end too. I'll bet that 4.3 will guzzle gas though.

Sorry...no such animal as a Sonoma SS.. Run your RPO codes thru the decoder.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #15

Quote: Originally Posted by Rhotpursuit
Sorry...no such animal as a Sonoma SS.. Run your RPO codes thru the decoder.
Umm. So what do I get if it is an SS?

I did find a Link to an SS in the S-10 version.

Are you really sure cuz it sure looks like what's described with the SS in that thread?

I'll grab the SN and you can check it out because I'm not sure how to read it for a GMC.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #16
Ticket Magnet

Umm. So what do I get if it is an SS?

I did find a Link to an SS in the S-10 version.

Are you really sure cuz it sure looks like what's described with the SS in that thread?

I'll grab the SN and you can check it out because I'm not sure how to read it for a GMC.
Is it an S10 or Sonoma?? SS's are S10 only. Check the glovebox door for RPO B4U. Post a pic of your truck.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #17

Is it an S10 or Sonoma?? SS's are S10 only. Check the glovebox door for RPO B4U. Post a pic of your truck.
Found the original window sticker in the glove box and it doesn't say SS but it lists the options as in the other thread including the wheels, tires and locking diff. It is definitely a Sonoma according to that and the title.I'll give the SN except for the last 5 digits. 1GTCS14W0T85XXXXX

I'm not sure what you mean by RPO. The paint certainly looks original and the Badging does too. According to the original sticker, the tires on it now are bigger than the originals though.

Last edited by Questor; 07-06-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #18

Found the original window sticker in the glove box and it doesn't say SS but it lists the options as in the other thread including the wheels, tires and locking diff. It is definitely a Sonoma according to that and the title.I'll give the SN except for the last 5 digits. 1GTCS14W0T85XXXXX

I'm not sure what you mean by RPO. The paint certainly looks original and the Badging does too. According to the original sticker, the tires on it now are bigger than the originals though.
Okay. I found what you were talking about. It doesn't have B4U. It has B30 and B32, but it does have all the other codes. It does have the badging and it has all the options listed. I'm wondering if the code might be different on a Sonoma or in Canada.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #19

Last time. I found This for checking codes and it doesn't have the B4U, but it does have another that says essentially the same thing as it does for that code. The original owner (My son's uncle) said he bought it as an SS.

I really don't care, but I do find it interesting that it has every option the S-10 SS has and it does have the SS identification on it, but there is supposedly no such thing as a Sonoma SS. Judging by the price (A little over 24k Canadian) on the original sticker I'd hope it was something special. Perhaps I'll just say the SS stands for Something Special
Old 07-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #20
Ticket Magnet

Last time. I found This for checking codes and it doesn't have the B4U, but it does have another that says essentially the same thing as it does for that code. The original owner (My son's uncle) said he bought it as an SS.

I really don't care, but I do find it interesting that it has every option the S-10 SS has and it does have the SS identification on it, but there is supposedly no such thing as a Sonoma SS. Judging by the price (A little over 24k Canadian) on the original sticker I'd hope it was something special. Perhaps I'll just say the SS stands for Something Special

The RPO decoder is at the top of the page under LINKS. SS badges are available on ebay.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #21

The RPO decoder is at the top of the page under LINKS. SS badges are available on ebay.
Sooo, which Sonoma would have the same options as the S-10 SS?

If you can PM me an e-mail address, I'll send some pics including one of the options codes. (I don't have a web host right now) I'm kind of intrigued now. I wonder if the dealer pulled a fast one. This thing even has the proper wheels except they have GMC centers instead of the Chevrolet ones. I even checked underneath for the proper suspension and it has that right down to the big bars and horizontal shock.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
Ticket Magnet

Go to www.photobucket.com it's free
Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 PM   #23
ASE certified MasterTech

DAMN you ebay and your SS badges!
LOL
Old 07-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #24
Ticket Magnet

Quote: Originally Posted by jtcfanof3
DAMN you ebay and your SS badges!
LOL
Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #25
Static Truck owner

Well the ZQ8 package for GM included the suspension,sway bars and wheels. Maybe it was a Sonoma GT. Thats sounds like a "SS" package.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #26

Okay. Are you ready for this. I was mostly wrong.

I did some investigating and found out what happened. I hadn't talked to my son's uncle (Only to my ex) so didn't get 100% of the story. Are you ready for this?

The truck did come from the dealer with the SS badging. It does have all the options the S-10 SS has, but it's not an SS. The dealer admitted, they had added the SS decals to the truck after they had made the sale when they were questioned about it.

They special ordered the truck with all the options. A total of over 7K according to the sales sticker. They thought they could sell it easily with those options and found out they couldn't. They, apparently thought adding the SS stickers wouldn't hurt and would make it sell faster, which I guess it kind of did.

So the bottom line is this truck was ordered with every option the SS had EXCEPT (Of course) the B4U which couldn't be ordered. It was then made to look the same as the SS by adding the decals (As you had already surmised.) Even though it's the same in every real way as an SS, it isn't one. Mystery solved. Personally, I'd have taken them to task for fraud, but.....

The truck still looks great and should perform well: Especially for a first vehicle.

Oh yeah. I managed to get some pictures hosted.

Last edited by Questor; 07-06-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.