S-10 Forum banner

Bad MPG

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  comics22 
#1 ·
I have a 1994 s10 2wd with the 4.3 cpi and Have been getting aweful mpg. Like 11-12. I just finished a major overhaul of the truck after it sat for a long time. The list includes: distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires, ignition coil, spider injector, all new sensors tps mass airflow idle control valve, ignition module, belt tensioner and idler pulley, radiator, oil cooler lines, gas tank with pump, all new brake lines, drums shoes cylinders in rear, calipers rotors pads in front, brand new magnaflow catalytic converter and gibson performance exhaust. Considering the amount of work put into bringing this truck back to life I'm confused as what would cause such bad mpg. The tires are old and cracked but have loads of tread and hold air so I dont think its them. Could there be something causing it to run rich after what has been replaced? This is definitely not normal since my dad's suburban with a 454 gets nearly better fuel economy.

#6 ·
if you drive mostly stop and go yea your about right for an auto...not sure what your expecting with a large v6 (larger than most european v8's) in city traffic coupled to a slush box.

#9 ·
since you say it sat does the trans actually shift thru all the gears into lockup?

also is this the origonal engine to this truck? should have most likely 3.54 or 3.08 rearend. if it was origonally a 4 banger truck it could have a 3.73 or 4.11 which will kill gas mileage in a v6.

yea dragging brake can ding a few mpg "points" drive around at highway speeds then using the brakes as little as possible get off the road and immediately feel the lugnuts - probably will be warm but should not be hot enough that you cant leave your hand on them indefinitely. the rubber hoses could be internally collapsed or a bad reman caliper stuck slide pins etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.