S-10 Forum banner

Automatic transmission reverse slipping?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Puckuck 
#1 ·
My 1994 4x4 s10 4.3l is having problems with reverse. It will go reverse by itself if on level ground, but if I give gas it pretty much just revs. So if i'm reversing onto an inclined surface, I have to rev it up to like 4000 rpms to get it to budge. Is my transmission dying?
Is there something i can do? Im good with repairs, just not at diagnosing. Help.

Also, someone said my rear wheels looked like as if they were locking up and shaking side to side when trying to reverse. I know the differential fluid is good

#2 ·
Start by lifting the rear wheels off the ground and see if you can turn the tires in the reverse direction. Chock the front wheels and put the trans in neutral. Try it both with the transfer case in neutral and 2 hi.You could have a frozen e-brake or cable. There might be internal rear axle damage. If the wheels turn without too much effort by hand then it would pretty much be time for a trans. What color is the fluid? Pink or brown? Is it odorless or smell burned? Do you see sparkles in it?
Probably won't help the transmissions life to continue to rev it to 4 grand when it doesn't move.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I will check out the wheel play and movement when i get a chance to jack it up. As for the transmission fluid, my tranny cooler line recently blew, spewing a a quart or two on road before. Luckily i was just making a quick trip and noticed the ATF trail when i parked. Fixed it in the parking lot and put about 2 quarts if fresh fluid in.
Not sure if that could be the culprit, but then again this was like 2 months ago and my reverse problem just started last week.
Im going to drain and fill with fresh atf and some Lucas slip fix for good measure. Anything i can check out while i have the pan off?
Also, I cant help having to shoot the rpms sometimes. I try to avoid going into spots I'd have to back out of, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.