ABS light, No speedo, Trans won't shift out of 1st, and no power to brake fuse - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

ABS light, No speedo, Trans won't shift out of 1st, and no power to brake fuse

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

ABS light, No speedo, Trans won't shift out of 1st, and no power to brake fuse

1994 GMC sonoma. 4.3TBI auto trans.

problems:

Truck will not shift out of 1st gear, speedometer won't work, and the ABS light is on.

Everywhere I look online says to check the brake fuse. It is good. So I checked replaced the VSS. Nothing changed. So I checked the VSS buffer. With the ignition key on, I do not have power TO the buffer. I also do not have power TO the brake fuse.

If I unplug all the ABS, the ABS light goes out, but none of the other symptoms are fixed.

I have seen these same symptoms hundreds of times on GM vehicles online. NONE of them I see have a total lack of power to all the speed related stuff. I am at a loss. What do I do next? What is there left to check and how?

Recently, we replaced the ECU. We had damaged the old one, and got a new one from another tbi 4.3 sonoma 2wd. I don't think the ECU is the issue as we have put a minimum of 1k flawless miles on it since. But who knows.

Options?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #2

Re: ABS light, No speedo, Trans won't shift out of 1st, and no power to brake fuse

ttt Come on guys.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #3

Re: ABS light, No speedo, Trans won't shift out of 1st, and no power to brake fuse

Had the same problem. Check your dust shields, behind the rotors. They have the ABS sensor in it for the front wheels. If they're rusted or damaged, I'd replace them. Bought them off Rockauto for $25 each. I also bleed my system, just incase there was air or gunk build up in the ABS motor.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

It's no suppose to feel good
Old 09-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004

That ^was suppose to be an answer to a text.lol.stupid iPhone.Check your wheel speed speed sensorslol!that's funny.my windshield is cracked now my brakes squeak!lol
Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #6

User is: OffLine

Is there anything else accessory wise that is giving you problems? Have you check the voltage?

The reason I ask is there was a problem that a friend of mine was having a few weeks ago. His issues were that when his a/c was turned on, he would get an ABS light and his a/c compressor would cut off. After tracing out the wires to the a/c blower motor, compressor, PCM, and ABS we were at a loss. Then we noticed that his fuse panel was only getting 9 volts, turns out his ignition switch was going bad and the load from the a/c would cut off his abs.

Checking the voltage is quick and might lead you into the direction of the problem. We jumped out the ignition switch and his problems went away, that is what confirmed that his switch was indeed bad. His truck is a 97 4.3L.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
finally runs!

having same prob on my 99 jimmy expect for brake fuse issue. still looking for info on this
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #8

I know this is an old thread.... but I will help you out. I just had this problem a few months ago, was leaving from visiting my GF at college and had a 3 hr drive and had 3.5 hrs to get there and I got stuck in first gear with no Speedo lol It ended up being my Rear ABS sensor/speed sensor... I have a 4x4 so mine was located on the transfer case... but thats what I would check. That sensor will throw everything out of whack. The front sensors will just mess with the ABS light. Hope this helps

EDIT: I have a 98 GMC Sonoma 4x4 Ext. Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.