a/c clutch replacement help - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

a/c clutch replacement help

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #1

a/c clutch replacement help

Would anyone happen to have shop manual instructions on replacing the air conditioner clutch on a 2001 S-10 with 4.3L? Or direct me where I can find them online? I have the new parts and the tools to get the old one off and new one on, I'm just hesitant to do it without good instructions. I know the final adjustment requires a feeler gauge.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
goin broke but n style

User is: OffLine
Re: a/c clutch replacement help

i didn't watch it, but here is a link to a youtube video:

Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #3

im right there with ya. 98 s10 4.3 . i just took bought an entire clutch assembly, not just the bearing. its been nothing but one royal pain in the a$$. firts off, the tool i rented to screw into the front and pull clutch off, barely fit. some was rust fault some was wear on rented tool from auto zone. after using a dremel tool to clean off threads and a file to clean up tool threads, i finally got the first piece off, be sure to catch the shaft key. next the pulley was supposed to come off fairly easy, it did not. first you have to remove snap ring ( be sure to note what side the snap ring is on and remember it, the snap ring has a bevel, if installed wrong, its could possibly lean into bearing seal and rip it) had too use 2 jaw puller. next the electromagnet was supposed to be able to be pried off, again had to use 2 jaw puller.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #4

now the install........ not done yet, got dark and im all p%%#% off. the electromagnet was supposed to be able to be tapped on with a screw driver on the inside, not on the ceramic. again, problems. just like and episode of american chopper with powder coating in the way that has to be removed. used a sharp pocket knife to scrap off powder coating, then had to fab a big round piece of pipe to fit inside and not on ceramic. then smacked the pi$$ out of it till it was where the original one was.
next the pulley, had to use a block of wood and beat the pi$$ out of it to get in on far enough for the snap ring, and again, had to remove powder coating,first. was not able to just hit the inner race of the bearing, and now im a lil worried i may have damaged the bearing. ...... last piece is where im stuck. the outer clutch. there is a tool for some GM compressors u can use to help push it on, but no tool like that for the HT6 - s10 compressor. the outer face is thin metal, im afraid to smack on it. anyway, this is where you put the key back in and again had to scrape powder coating off. i stopped there, i cant get final outer piece back on. if you fide a video for that or a tool, or anything, i would greatly appreciate it. seems the ht6 compressor clutch is a ghost on YouTube.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #5

also, im not sure where you got the final adjustment uses a feeler gauge. all pieces are pressed on and lock into place when they bottom out. if you back anything out, you run the risk of it falling apart. i did see shims on some videos, but all those were compressors that used a nut to secure. once again, gm has to make everything so hard. im not a mean person or violent, but if i ever meet a gm engineer that brags about designing parts, im just gonna deck him, not one but twice, and put it on YouTube.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #6

here is what i am talking about and might be the solution. i think one of thsese tools is removal only, and the other is removal and installer. the one with the sharp point is remover. the other one with what looks like a blunt end, actually has female threads inside the center bolt. thats what i think we need. you can screw the female end onto the compressor shaft, then tighten down the outer bolt to squeeze the clutch plate on. thats bout all i can figure to help myself and you. i have been up and down the in web looking for info on this, when it come to the ht6, it seems to be top secret. honestly though, if i had it to do over again (and i may still) i might just get a new compressor. for as expensive as these clutches are, you can get the clutch and compressor all in one for just a little more. i was just happy with my compressor performance and did not want to mess with the expense of charging it. tell you one thing though, if i can get a cheap aftermarket oem compatible compressor that is a different design than the original acdelco, but still bolts right up, i will be all over it.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #7

oh, i forgot the link to the tool . the 59680 is the one to install, i believe.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
Old 05-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #8

I watched the video, then noticed another one done by the same folks that is closer to what I'm looking for. My compressor doesn't look like the one in the video, but the clutch does:

The replacement clutch I bought from O'Reilly's and it is a Murray brand. The replacement and removal tools I borrowed are also Murray brand. One of them is 59518 and is labeled "Remover Inst.". The other is 59502 and is labeled "Installer". Except for color (one has silver shaft, the other black), they look exactly the same. Both have the female threads you describe. I can post pics if you'd like.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #9

I have since determined that both the tools I borrowed are install tools. The only difference was the size of the threads that fit the compressor crankshaft. O'Reilly's loaned me a tool set the included a remover.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by tkerschen
I have since determined that both the tools I borrowed are install tools. The only difference was the size of the threads that fit the compressor crankshaft. O'Reilly's loaned me a tool set the included a remover.
WOW, THATS LIKE VOODOO...... i watched the same video. orielly's opened a new store 2 blocks from my house the next morning. i rented the tool you speak of. the silver installer is wrong, its the black one.... BUT...... the threads were screwed up from the last renter. i spoke with the manager of the store, asked her if i could cut off the stripped threads and fix it up. she said yes. i cut it off, squared it up, and tapered the last 2 threads. it worked just fine.
only thing i am stuck on is this. EVERYONE keeps mentioning the setting the gap between the clutches. all the research i have done, only shows ac clutches that are held in with a nut, to require setting the gap. all my research on the gm clutches show simply pressing the parts on till they bottom out. i am super leery of backing off a press fit to enable a certain size feeler gauge. i don't believe the press fit is designed to move. also, nowhere in any way shape of form have i been able to find a "gap spec" for the HT6 compressor.
i got mine all back together, and it works just fine. i used the tool from orielly's and tightened it till i felt the outer clutch bottom out. the clutches looked to be about 1/16 gap between the clutches.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #11

The compressor shown in the video was not the same kind as the one on my truck, so maybe the feeler gauge is only used on that particular type of compressor. By the way I kind of boogered up the threads on my borrowed install tool as well. Do you recall what size tap you used to clean yours up? I did talk to they guy I borrowed the tools from and he admitted he may have mixed up the boxes and probably had the removal tool stashed elsewhere.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by tkerschen
The compressor shown in the video was not the same kind as the one on my truck, so maybe the feeler gauge is only used on that particular type of compressor. By the way I kind of boogered up the threads on my borrowed install tool as well. Do you recall what size tap you used to clean yours up? I did talk to they guy I borrowed the tools from and he admitted he may have mixed up the boxes and probably had the removal tool stashed elsewhere.
nope, sorry, i do not remember the size, my neighbor was the one helping me with that part. i can tell you its metric threads. i think the parts diagram inside the oriellys tool kit may list the thread. the trick is to be sure to tighten that tool all the way on, plus during install, you would think you dont need to hold the outer clutch, but you do. you need to hold outer clutch as well as both parts of the tool.
i think the gap setting for the ht6 s-10 compressor is a myth. why? well, if there is a gap setting, tell me what it is. i have heard nothing but opinions of what the gap should be. nowhere in any way shape of form have i seen actual specs for this. ....... i think the gap specs only come into play with a/c clutches that are held on with an actual bolt.
been a week with mine, no problems. i put on a new idler pulley, and new tension pulley, and new gator belt, and a new fan clutch. motor is purring like a kitten, super smooth and super quiet. 14 years old , 140,000 and sounds like a brand new truck.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #13

im not sure about the deal with holding the outer clutch while using the install tool. my neighbor swore if i didnt, it would pull the threads off. what he said made no sense to me, but he was helping so i just went along with it. on that video, all he holds is the tool.

. .............. what i would like to know know, is how to keep the new clutch in good shape. there are 2 things i noticed that may help. i looked at an entire new compressor with clutch at oriellys. i noticed, the new one had a rubber cap over the center bolt. it was not a shipping cap, it was meant to leave on. so i assume there is dirt that gets in there. i simply cut about a 1 1/2 in dia circle of gorilla duct tape and covered the hole. it looks like it will hold. second thing i am going to try is to use my air compressor to blow out all the rust dirt and debris from inside the clutch from time to time.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #14

if you are worried about orielly's charging you for the threads, i dont think they will. i was told its one of the benefits of renting, if the tool breaks, your covered. we did not tap out ours, we actually cut off about 1/4 in and then used like an internal counter sink to taper the hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.