99 S10 wont crank! Dash fully lit. No Crank! HELP!!!! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

99 S10 wont crank! Dash fully lit. No Crank! HELP!!!!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #1

99 S10 wont crank! Dash fully lit. No Crank! HELP!!!!

Hello Guys and Gals!

I have a 1999 S10 4.3L with a 5 Speed.

For the last couple of weeks the truck was intermittent on wanting to turn over. I would pump my clutch, jiggle the key, bang a few things, try again and eventually it worked. However it slowly got worse and worse until finally did not want to turn over at all. Everything lights up perfectly on the dash but that last turn of the key, some lights go out as normal, no crank.

I am far from a mechanic, but I do have basic knowledge, trial and error skills and do ALLOT of reading on the internet including here of course!

Here is what I have tested so far:

Battery: Cleaned all connections and re-installed. The truck has lots of power though, lights etc.

Clutch Safety Switch: I pulled the switch off the rod under my dash, inspected it, all seems fine. I also disconnected the wire clip to it and tried to bridge the connections as a test. (Read that on here) No Luck. (I tried to bridge it based on the connections I saw that would close in the switch, I hope that was right)

Crank Fuse: I checked the crank fuse and it is fine.

Theories and possibilities:

Ignition Switch: Is it possible that my ignition switch is causing the problem? I am not sure how it works if you buy one to replace it. It is a separate addition to the existing barrel? or would I have get all new barrel and keys etc. (Is there a way to test to see if this is the fault?)

In thinking it might be the ignition switch I tried to push start the vehicle, it started up immediately, however, even with the key in the run position...the security light in the dash came on and shut the engine down when i pressed the gas!

After Market Alarm System: The truck has a very old alarm in it that was GREAT back in the day. It all stopped working properly so I never used it. It is however still all wired into the system. Is there a possibility that the starter-kill for that DEAD alarm is causing this issue?

Any and ALL help and suggestions would be really appreciated!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Registered Hoosier

User is: OffLine
Re: 99 S10 wont crank! Dash fully lit. No Crank! HELP!!!!

Check the under hood elect center for a crank or starter relay. Swap it with another one with the same part number. Could possibly be alarm system, especially if it had starter interrupt .
Old 10-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoosier Rick
Check the under hood elect center for a crank or starter relay. Swap it with another one with the same part number. Could possibly be alarm system, especially if it had starter interrupt .
Thank you Man! I am going to go and try that out now to see if I get a result. I will let you know.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoosier Rick
Switched out the starter relay as per your thoughts. I switched it with the Defogger relay which had the same part number. Turned the key. NOTHING!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
i saw what you did there!

so fuse or SNS or solenoid or ign switch then

coildbe security system if the light came on and it stalled and light on

sounds real funny hmmmmmmmm

try cleaning out the key slot and the key chip off with cleaner real good

sometimes its dirty and cant get reading of resistance of the chip to the PCM
Old 10-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by fast68chevy
so fuse or SNS or solenoid or ign switch then

coildbe security system if the light came on and it stalled and light on

sounds real funny hmmmmmmmm

try cleaning out the key slot and the key chip off with cleaner real good

sometimes its dirty and cant get reading of resistance of the chip to the PCM
Hey Fast,

Yah it is very strange. I seemed to have ruled out Battery, Clutch Safety Switch, Starter Relay.

When it was push started... it ran perfectly till I applied gas and stalled immediately. Right after it stalled the Security Light came on.. which I assume is the "Passlock" system.

I theorized a little that maybe the "Passlock" needed to detect even the slightest crank signal to deactivate it?... but it is strange.

The after market alarm that no longer works does have a "Starter Kill" unit under the dash somewhere.. I wonder if that in time, has degraded and now is cutting off the signal.

Additional Info: I went out and flipped over the relays as per Hoosiers suggestion. Nothing. However... I do hear a faint click coming from under my dash when i turn the key to the start position.

If it was the ignition switch... surely NOTHING would happen after the key was moved into "Start"?

I dunno guys just theorizing here! Really appreciate you all!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
It's mostly BS

If you hear a small click that is probably the relay. As a rough check to help narrow things down, I would measure the voltage between the small terminal on the starter and ground when key is in start pos. If you are getting voltage there then the problem is not the switches or relays, but either the starter or the heavy wiring to it. Don't forget the big ground wire connections from the battery on the block or wherever the big ground is connected on the engine.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Real Men Wear Bow Ties.

Most relays for starter kill are normally closed. This would mean that it would not cause a no start unless there is power applied to it from the alarm. The chance of it failing and causing a no start is slim. A starter kill relay failure would typically be from the relay being stuck in the open position. For example, if the alarm was to signal a fault, be disarmed and the relay not revert to the closed position.
To test it, find the normally closed portion of the relay, looks like o_o or #30 and 87a, and test for continuity with no wires attached. Continuity means the relay is closed. While you are at it take those two wires, #30 and 87a, and splice them together.

For more information about automotive relays: http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
Old 10-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by vinster888
Most relays for starter kill are normally closed. This would mean that it would not cause a no start unless there is power applied to it from the alarm. The chance of it failing and causing a no start is slim. A starter kill relay failure would typically be from the relay being stuck in the open position. For example, if the alarm was to signal a fault, be disarmed and the relay not revert to the closed position.
To test it, find the normally closed portion of the relay, looks like o_o or #30 and 87a, and test for continuity with no wires attached. Continuity means the relay is closed. While you are at it take those two wires, #30 and 87a, and splice them together.

For more information about automotive relays: http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
Thanks for this man!

Here is an update. Strangely this morning my truck started as soon as i turned the key. Where i left off last night was a bridged clutch switch. This being very odd and obviously not reliable (dont want to get caught somwehre and it wont start) I kept moving on.

I pulled out the kick plate under the dash and got access to all the wiring looms for the old alarm and also found the starter kill relay you are mentioning.

I pulled out the old brain, window shock and motion sensors too. I have left the wiring inside the truck as it all has pro connectors etc and I am not comfortable in completely redoing it all. To test the scenario I pulled the starter kill relay out of the plug socket.. when I turned the key it
of course did not start. In fact it was the exact symptoms of before all this work. Once i plugged the relay back in, it started perfectly.

I am theorizing that the alarm brain was still powered, or glitching and was causing my starter kill to kick closed?.... I am hoping that with removal of the brain etc this should do the trick, although I am still going to have trust issues.

As per what you are saying, now that I have the starter kill relay in an accessible area, I should remove it from the equation?

I see that their based on your numbers and specs that the ignition wire (Large Yellow) is what seems to be the one. Is this the one I should join? If so being a large gauge wire should I solder this connection?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
Real Men Wear Bow Ties.

If the yellow wire was "cut" in order to install the relay then it would be the one. After looking at mine, it is the yellow. You can solder it, use a butt splice(crimp style), or a male spade with a female to match (crimp style). These types of connections are preferred because of the vibrations that are involved with autos. Other connections like wire nuts can and usually do fall off with time. Since you removed the brain from the old alarm you could leave the relay in place because it in the closed position. The relay probably only has two wires on it now since the alarm has been removed. Whatever makes you feel better is really what matters. Glad you found it and happy motoring!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #11

99 s10 with hornet rpn 476t alarm system I like the alarm until it give me problems, it won't start now no book for it either and they to much if I take it in I would like for some options like we're is the ground cable for the alarm cause I have a cable hooked up to a fuse and to my battery ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.